Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935 1936 Custom extended trunk lid

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Do it Over, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I've seen 1935 36 cars with custom lengthened trunk lids like later years. I looked for such a thread that can give me an idea of the sheet metal work / procedure involved.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Most of those are rolled by hand in an english wheel, the edge tipped with a Pullmax, and welded to a totally hand made inner panel. Then you can make the drip gutter by hand with curves in every direction.

Probably too much of a project for a guy still aligning his doors. ;)

3. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

When I'm stuck on one thing I distract myself with something else. Once the frustration subsides I've always been clearer in my thinking and found good solutions. This challenge is no different. Standing around staring wont get me any closer with so much left to do ;)

I've got an english wheel, bead roller, shrinker/stretcher, mig, tig and other equipment in my arsenal. Just need talent, instruction, time and workspace to bring my skillset up to mediocre. I do truly appreciate all those who take the time to respond. Guys here do some amazing work.

Lines likes this.
  4. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

And besides, it's only one door that's fighting me :D

bonneville bones likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Find what's out of kilter on the floor to frame situation, and fix that. If it makes your door crooked, you can practice your skills on re-fitting the door to the hole. Maybe make a new skin? Once you've mastered some skills, then attempt a new decklid. The gutter actually scares me more than the decklid does.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always wondered if someone would ever take that era Ford Coupe and extend the deck lid in both length and width to include the reveal and everything.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Do it Over likes this.
  7. I’ve never understood why anyone would weld a deck lid shut,,, that is until I built a trunk with custom inner pan, worked over opening in quarters, rolled skin, tipped on a pul max and custom drip gutters curved in all directions with trunk floor and braces and hinges and catches. Yep,,, I can see welding the fucker shut now

Do it Over and 296moon like this.
  8. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Weld it shut as above............................

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone tried using a '37-'40 coupe trunk lid and "massage" it into place ?

10. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I put a 37 lid on a 36 years ago. Sorry, no pics and the car got sold. That is the easiest way and the lid is the correct shape. Cutting the opening out of a junk body would be the way to do it.

Do it Over and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. East Coast Hot Rod Garage in Denton, MD extended a coupe decklid a few years back to follow the existing curves. Give Ray a call to see what it took to do.
    RB

Do it Over likes this.