Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead rebuilders in New England

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 351cmach, Apr 14, 2020.

1. 351cmach

351cmach
    from Ma

Looking for a quality flathead V8 rebuilder in the New England area. There is R&L engines in Dover NH, but I cant seem to find any reviews. Does anyone have any experience with them good or bad? Any experience with anyone else? I thought about H&H but is it worth shipping an engine across the country? TIA

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will give you my opinion on a flathead rebuild. I had a local machinist who claimed he did flatheads and could do mine no problem. After spending about $3500 with this person I got my engine back all assembled as a short block. I added heads, intake, and ignition. Installed it in my car and I couldn't get the thing to fire to save my soul so I pulled it out and tore it down. There was no timing mark on the crank gear. No retaining clips on the valve assemblies. Main caps for a couple different cylinders on rods they were not numbered with. The thing looked like it had been put together by a 12 year old. So I took it all the way down and went completely through it my self. Matched rods and caps back up and installed them in the correct cylinders. Reinstalled all valve assemblies with keepers. Fixed the crank gear timing problem. The gear had been put on backwards. Installed the heads, intake, and distributor and it fired right up and is now running properly. I guess what I'm getting at is had I of known all I was going to have to go through to get an engine that actually worked, I would have gladly paid shipping from someone like H+H. It's what they do and they have probably seen everything that can go wrong with a flathead, plus they can break the motor in for you prior to sending it back to make sure it is working properly.

3. Boy,,,you got lucky there,,,,I’m glad it didn’t hurt any thing .
    If in doubt,,,,go with a professional .

However,,,,,I’m pretty certain that H and H will charge a fair amount more than 3500 bucks ?
    But,,,at least you will get an excellent built engine .

Tommy

4. guitarguy

guitarguy

Go Devil Garage in Rensselear County in NY (Town Of East Schodack). I've heard good things, never used personally. I know he is way backed up on work when I talked to him just before all this Corona-virus stuff hit. Not cheap, but you'll get what you paid for.
    http://www.godevilgarage.com/

5. swifty

swifty

Try ronnieroadster on here. His flathead powered roadster made over 200 at Bonneville, he drives a 32 roadster with a Scott blown Ardun and his wife drives a 32-5 window with a Scott blown flathead. All engines he's built and he knows flatheads. He is in Wallingford , Ct.

6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

7. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I have known Ron and his wife Laura for many years. Besides being a flathead expert, Ron is an easy person to talk to. He is the person I will call if I ever have a problem with my flathead.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Cougar20th

Cougar20th

Lundin Machine Co Inc
    Burlington Ma
    (781) 273-0555

Jacks a oldtimer, you won't find much online.

9. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

waxhead, slug, KiWinUS and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ronnie Roadster is your best bet. He really knows flat-heads.

11. Ron did mine a couple of years ago. Amazing work!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

12. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Does anyone have a contact number for Ron?

13. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

14. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Hi Oddrod46 send me a PM