Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects CORONA VIRUS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Apr 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

We all knew something bad was going to happen sooner or later in our lifetime and it looks like this is it. All of us have had it really good for a very long time. We haven't had a major war where we all had to go and fight and we haven't had to live through a major depression. There has been ups and downs yes, but there has been nothing really bad happen in our lifetime. There is getting to be a lot of people on the planet, maybe too many, and I have always had that sixth sense eerie feeling that there is going to be a disaster of some description happen, that is going to effect all of us. It looks like that disaster is Covid-19.

This virus is going to give our hobby a great big punch in the stomach, if it hasn't done so already. I am not very optimistic on there being any events held at all this year. All car shows and swap meets could all be cancelled for this year, and this may include Bonneville Speed Week and even Hershey fall swap meet in October. It is going to take a lot of time to get all of this mess all cleaned up and for people to get their confidence back to be around other people again, even when this virus is over. The sad part is that Covid-19 is far from being over. We are just starting on that giant bell curve of the beginning and the end of this virus. It is very important that we all do our part is controlling the spread. Maintain social distancing and stay home as much as possible. Covid-19 has to be slowed down and then stopped, and we all have to do our part. Everyone stay safe and healthy!!

impala4speed, Cosmo49, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  2. HUGE thread on the virus on Ryan's Garage Journal,..it's a sticky at the top in the Free Parking section...

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is no guarantee that this virus will ever go away. ever, this whole thing started with one person in December , and now look at the shitty mess all around the world.. there could very well come a time when suddenly all the toys and junk we love becomes meaningless as we all just scramble to survive in a Mad Max world. I'm not spending money on anything. they talk about "the curve flattening" yes, because so many people are not working. no matter how flat it gets, it could come back up fast if we go back to normal. without a vaccine normal will never be the same. this is serious shit, don't take it lightly.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

I feel very fortunate to be retired from a major airline and the Federal Aviation Administration. My retirement checks, 401K (thats in a Government secure can't lose savings account) and Social Security checks pay off each month like a slot machine. My Government retiree health insurance and prescription drug plans couldn't be better. We have no debit and its not my wife or myself I'm worried about. Can't say the same for those who have lost their jobs and those who may not have jobs to go back to. Its going to take quite a while for this economy to rebound. Even when this COVID-19 lets up, I'm not so sure the American Public is ever going to go back to business as usual such as going to crowded restaurants and activities.
    This election coming up in November will make or break this country. Just make sure we elect the right person to do the job.
    From the old car hobby standpoint, I've got a recently completed car that needs nothing except an event to go to.
    Y'all stay safe and help others who are less fortunate then we are.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    da34guy likes this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

After seeing people come together to help one another in spite the virus threat yesterday . the tornadoes that hit Chattanooga and Cleveland Tn. Sunday night just shows that this country will respond to each other regardless of the dangers.
    My grandson's neighborhood was one of the hardest hit in Cleveland ,Tn. by noon yesterday there was volunteers out with chain saws and there backs working to help the homeowners clean up the tree debris that took down power lines and closed roads .
    I saw people with masks and people with no masks cutting, dragging brush and doing anything they could do to help.

catdad49, Petejoe and Deuces like this.
  6. None of this deal is good. In some way or another everybody ......I mean everybody..... is gonna be affected by this turn of events, not all bad, probably, and for some folks, the worst possible outcome. That being said, to the shop I go. I have steel,aluminum, and just got re=supplied with gases.....I'm building a water wheel for a guy with a creek to run a line shaft off of. It's a pretty big wheel(seven feet across,give or take) and not a HAMB related project in any way, except for the fact that it's taking up space that could be used for other stuff. Somehow, though right now it just seems like a project that seems right....the guy ain't got the skills or the jingle to have this built by any kind of shop.....He came to me with a glimmer of an idea about this thing and I said sure. I 'm not gonna charge him a damn penny though, cause' maybe it'll make me rich in a whole different way, times bein' what they are.

Budget36, nochop and Deuces like this.
  7. My brother works for a company that sets up conventions and trade shows etc. All across Canada and the USA
    He got shut down a month ago a feels that job is gone for the rest of the year.
    Honestly, when will they let 50,000-100,000 people get together in one building again?
    Probably not until a vaccine is available

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Talk about a double whammy those tornados blasting through the south on top of the tragic events unfolding though the world. I hope all those Hambers in this area are safe and my prayers go out to them. I had to venture out to pay some bills today and told my kids when I got home that I can now cross off my bucket list going into a bank with a mask on.

SR100, Budget36 and Deuces like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I haven’t missed a day working......yet. It is catching up with the trucking industry, warehouses are emptying out, and not being refilled. Guys hauling groceries will continue to do good, until they catch up with the farmers, who are having to destroy a lot of their crops because they can’t sell them with all the restaurants being closed, and in some places can’t find enough help to work the fields. I’m afraid some things are be in short supply for a while. Flatbed freight like I haul, roofing products, are slowing down drastically. We had a fair spring buy this year, but when the special prices went back up, demand fell off more than normal, almost stopping. Right now, I’m in restock mode, stores are only buying enough to replace sold inventory, no extra, and customers are putting major purchases off. We don’t usually get this slow until mid or late summer when temps get in the high 90’s and higher.

I’ve got my transmission out, ready to go to the rebuilder, but I’m sitting on my money, too. Got my stimulus money today, I didn’t need it, but I might end up having to live off of it. Want to retire this time next year, we’ll see. Got to make it through this next year first, owe on the truck one more year, and got a couple of cards I want to pay off. My car can sit a while longer. I’m looking more at staying afloat and getting completely out of debt in those 12 months, then I can breath a little.

10. impala4speed

impala4speed

I agree with a lot of you in that we will not be able to return to any kind of normal until a very reliable vaccine is developed and given to everyone. According to the scientists and medical experts that could be a year to a year and a half away. Everyone, until that happens, please stay safe and take care of yourselves.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, well, that theory is pretty much busted at this point.

Deuces and impala4speed like this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Neither have I, it's been busy. My largest customers are all "essential", which means I am too. I see people talking about doing this and that with all their time off, I haven't had any. I have 2 boys that haven't worked in a month, but I haven't had any time off.

Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

By the way, how is everybody doing health wise? Anybody catch the damn bug, or have any family or friends that are sick with it?

14. impala4speed

impala4speed

Our entire family is doing ok. Wife and I are both retired and fortunately our kids have jobs that enable them to work from home, so all good there. I do what I normally do, go into the garage and work on the project car. And it's almost done, about ready to hit the streets. But no shows to take it to. That's ok, wife and I will definitely be doing a lot of cruising this year (hopefully, fingers crossed!). It's all the medical people and first responders and so many others I worry about.

Blues4U and Deuces like this.
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You might get a chair right next to St. Peter for that

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My Bass players son got it, my bassist is in his late 70’s

Blues4U likes this.
  17. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I used to smoke Corona cigars, drive a Toyota Corona, and drink Corona beer. I'm not sure if this puts me in a high risk group, or has built up my immunity.

triumph 1, Deuces and nochop like this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Me and wifey got sicker than dogs mid December. BTW we had flu shots. I played a gig at a international hostel in San Francisco prior to that

Blues4U likes this.
  19. grichards790

grichards790

I had a mild round with it and was quarantined but not hospitalized. Was very fortunate. My cousins 21 year old son passed away from it recently. No underlying health issues, college athlete and all around good kid. Truly devastating to watch his parents not be able to visit or see him in the hospital and they can’t hold a traditional funeral for him.

I think “recovery” from this is a long time out and our “normal” is going to be very different; both from a health and economic perspective.

Hope you all stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces, nochop and impala4speed like this.
  20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That needs a “ that sucks “ button

21. Unless they develop a vaccine really soon we will never return to what it was. There is always a (new Normal) whatever the heck that will consist of?

22. Nothing is more devastating than the loss of a child. Been there Done That. Its something I would not wish on my worst enemy if I had one.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This day is call'd the feast of CoronaVirus,
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe to drag strip,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
    And rouse him at the name of Corona.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbors,
    And say "To-morrow is Saint Corona."
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say "These wounds I had on Corona's day."
    Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words-
    @Ryan the King, @Moriarity and @loudbang,
    @Stogy and @squirrel, @HOTRODPRIMER and @lothiandon1940 -
    Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Hamb & Alliancian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in America now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon CoronaVirus's day!

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This stopped being about cars to just a thread on the Coronavirus.... I locked this thread up. Let’s get back to traditional hot rods and customs huh fellas?? Lets make this a place to get away from all the crap going on in the rest of the world.....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.