Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 55 Chevy sectioned and shortened

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Apr 12, 2020.

1. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

How about a crappy attempt of getting rid of the top. The proportions are still way off, 1955 sect short Washg.jpg

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

Lookin' better ^^^^ (if that's possible :eek:). Now if ya could take about 6" out of that front wheel well length, and a couple of inches or so on the windshield height....It'd still be ugly, but a kinder, gentler ugly! :D

upspirate likes this.
  3. ...I passed up clicking on this thread for a few days, now I wish I hadn't clicked at all, ...can't believe someone did that to a great looking car, ..it's only good now as a parts car IMO....if I parted it out, I wouldn't want anybody to see it in my driveway until it was in a hundred pieces....not feeling well now...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  4. Chopping the top and adding smaller wheels would go a long way to make it more palatable...

55.jpg

5. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Moose, you amaze me. I suck at photoshop. I did attempt to chop the 1955 sect short Washg.jpg windshield 2 inches. It still is not right. I don't have a clue how to bring the front end back 4 inches

tb33anda3rd and Okie Pete like this.
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Chop the top (off) then take 3-6 inches off the front end and drop the bumper down to the level of the rockers

7. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I looked at pictures of mine. It looks like too much is gone behind the rear wheel instead of pulling the front back, I pulled the rear back a little. Moose could actually 1955 sect short Washg.jpg make this look good , instead of it looking like a 3rd grader did it.

tb33anda3rd, Hombre and upspirate like this.
  8. In the world in general the car is worth less than it was stock and certainly worth less that an original 2 door.

if the car has provenance in that it is a historic hot rod/custom. Built by someone that has become famous or at least famous in his own circles that could give it more value than just a car that some joe palooka built.

That one is not nearly as wonky as some I have seen, it is hard to build a shortened sedan and have it come out alright. But it is still a mini five five and not something that is going to be in big demand to the general public so investment wise it is probably not a good investment.

Now for the coup d'état, you must decide if you like it. If you are not buying it to flip or as an investment, you don't care what anyone else thinks (cool is not important to you) and have the money or the where with all to make the purchase then it is worth it to you.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Isn't four pages of comments enough? Photo shopping has almost make it look normal. It is what it is.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    1934coupe, scotty t and olscrounger like this.
  10. I've got nothing to say that could help the car. o_O
    But I can say that if he got a taller ladder that would help the paint job on the deck. :cool:

RMR&C and chopped like this.
  11. Never cared for any of those chop jobs, but that's subjective. What isn't subjective is the quality of work. If you're dead set on it, I would go over it with a fine tooth comb. What one guy considers safe may not be what is actually safe.

12. X-cpe

X-cpe

I look at it like this. If I am building a car, I am building it for me, to please me. If I am building it for resale value, I am building it for someone else, to please someone else.

The things I think would make that car look better are:
    1) Lower it 1 or 2 inches with a small rake.
    2) Raise the wheel openings the same.
    3) Center the front wheels in the opening, or maybe a hair forward of center. (Realizing that it may be an optical illusion due to wheels being turned.)
    4) A pie cut section, starting below the tail light, to get rid of the fat front end look.
    5) No argument with the convertible or chop if that's what you like.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Moore's chopped top definitely helps. I think the stainless side trim needs to be raised about 3".

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

AHHH YES!! that would help optical proportions a lot!

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Is it worth more or less? Much, much, much less. If it appeals to you and the builder, it's up to you to establish what you want to pay, and him to decide how badly he wants it to go away. It's too odd, but not so odd that it's desirable.

Tman and dearjose like this.
  16. Country Joe

Country Joe

Apparently, it's a thing
    56-Chevrolet-2dr-Wagon-1-630x355.jpg unnamed.jpg hqdefault (1).jpg 7ca0a5c04805f31e40f14aa7804aaf0b.jpg

17. EAE

EAE
    from sweden

I think there are some pros and cons with this.
    Pros
    In the 50s a lot of guys built themselves a sporty car with methods like this,
    so in a way its a piece of history created today.
    Cons
    Proportions are way off, the moose got it right it needs a top chop and also
    some customization of the front and rear.
    The next problem with these shortened cars is that way are just shortened
    and the chassis components are not changed, they drive and handle like shit.
    You got a lot of work before you fixing that.

So, if you can buy it for a few bucks and then add a lot of work you can have
    a unique sports car with 50s feeling.

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Back in the 60s, there was 56 Fairlane 4 dr here with the rear doors removed. No roof at all and it did kind of resemble a Tbird. It looked like a fun car

19. ...every shortened tri 5 in this thread looks like crap

kidcampbell71, texasred, Tman and 4 others like this.
  20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Guy I know had a shorty '57 wagon in his youth. He always had a bent for the odd-ball stuff. Even he admitted the wagon was "unsafe at any speed". :eek:

21. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Pretty bad when you can't even photoshop the ugly & awkwardness off!:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:o_O

22. One thing's for sure: it's a great way to meet people at the next car show! I like Moose's chop.

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Theres a shorty panel wagon around my town, setup as a gas type stance. 99% of shorties look stupid. But that one got lucky.

24. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me personally a 4 door Tri-Five chevy has no value at all, that's just me and the way I feel about them, it's like Grandfathers car. Now with that said it can be worse and this chopped up car is a prime example of worse. What in the hell were they thinking? Tons of work in the mess of a car, and from the picture it even looks well done. Do you figure they had a plan when they started that?

LM14 likes this.
  25. Ok, so it's a '55 Chevy go cart...

Hombre likes this.
  26. gtokid70

gtokid70

Lots of work to make a car look bad, would have been better off doing a 2 door conversion. Not a abomination NO NO NO

Sent from my SM-T510 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre and Gman0046 like this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Let’s see 4 inches off the front end.
    I know how :D:D

Tman, VANDENPLAS, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  28. henry29

henry29

There's only one way to fix that,

[​IMG]

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hombre and cheepsk8 like this.
  30. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lot better, Thanks for sharing your photo shop.

Doing away with the two tone would help. Take away the vertical paint divider. Make it all bronze color. Maybe a Chevy version of the T Bird...... A lowered stance with a slight rake wouldn't hurt it. White walls and Chrome reverse would help....

1955 sec short washg.jpg

here is a quickie... A lot better, I kinda like it...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020