Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pirate, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '54 Ranch wagon with the front suspension off waiting for install of the new springs, bushings, and disc brakes is sitting on my 4 Harbor freight 6 ton stands (front and rear). Luckily my part number is 38847 so they aren't the ones being recalled but they still make me a bit nervous. Whenever I can I use my race ramps when I'm under the car. Unfortunately I can't use them on the front of the Ranch Wagon until I get the front suspension back on. 10-wheel-cribs.jpg

Country Joe and thintin like this.
  2. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I've got 4 of the 6 ton stands that I've had for about 3 years now, so I doubt they're involved in the recall.

Updated: 2 of the 4 I've got are recall models.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  3. C16B7C55-A8DC-4B4E-83C7-92733679D27F.png 7867D2F0-50CD-48F3-9FBC-D5A79D875F85.jpeg

these !!!

the top ones for when I got the wheels off

bottom ones will hold up a 20k forklift
    Pretty sure I’m safe under ‘em

Won’t trust my life to some $40 buck a set cast crap-o-la from rice land !
    Sorry not me !

nunattax, thintin and williebill like this.
  4. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I have a pair of these. I actually did have one fall a few months ago. I chalked it up to not making sure the pawl was securely in the latch, as can happen on occasion if you don't pay attention.

Looks like I might need to reevaluate my jackstand choice.

seb fontana likes this.
  5. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Now that's slicker than snot on a doorknob! The car that is!!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

How wide are the yellow stands hard to determine not knowing the size of he pallet they are sitting on. They look a bit narrow compared to their height. Just curious.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Ok where did you get the yellow ones?? Or did i miss it?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ORRRR you could use concrete blocks like i did when i was younger and bullet proof.Under my 56 chevy, seen the block start to crumble.Grabbed bumper and one swift move got my ass out before it fell completely.Oh the things we did in our youth!!!
    OK this was sarcasm. DO NOT USE CONCRETE BLOCKS!!!

TagMan likes this.

10. the pic is just off the internet
    I got a set of 4 from a customer as the engineering tags got lost , painted over what ever and their in house safety person said to toss them.

I would have to measure them but around 10” wide would be my guess.

They work great. Brand new there just under $400 in Canadian money, which in Yankie doodle funds would be about $3.50 !:D

I had a set of princess auto stands where the roll pin or whatever they dad holding the pawl to the release handle broke, paw knot engaged all the way, when I set the car on the stand, the stand dropped and the car almost slid off the other stands.

after that it was large hunks if wood, huge chunks of I beam with wood bolted to the tops for the car to sit on ( worked fantastic but too dang heavy !!)then I got these bad boys .

Any place that sells or fixes forklifts can get them for.
    Or google fork lift parts suppliers they should have them in stock also

11. mark latham

mark latham

When I was younger I swapped a blown 4 speed in a 67 Barracuda for a 727 in my driveway with a cheap floor jack and cinderblocks holding the car up. While under the car my wife pulled into the drive way and bumped the Barracuda bumper with the front bumper of the Cordoba she was driving (the driveway had an incline at the end putting the cars nose up). I could hear the cinderblocks start popping and scurried my ass out from under the car. It didn't fall but I put some logs under it before I got back under. We do some stupid shit when we are young don't we?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now I always place 6"x6"x18" wood blocks next to any forged jack stands as a back-up.

Years ago, I cut up & tossed some cheap sheet metal jack stands I had after one of the welds broke on the stand while I was in the house. I had been under the car for an hour or so just before going into the house.

A friend of mine was in a hurry to service his camper before a weekend outing and the jack stand failed. His wife found him under the camper, crushed to death.

rbrewer likes this.
  13. Country Joe

Country Joe

I always hated getting under a car up on jack stands. So I got a set(4) of 12" race ramps. I feel a lot safer going under the car with them. My only issue with them is, once I get one end of the car up on the blocks, The opposite bumper is too low to get the jack under the car. So, I first jack up the back and put an 8" blocks of wood under the wheels. Then go set up the front. Then go back and jack up the back to get the RRs in place. An extra step but, well worth it. And 12" is a lot of room to work with.
    20191031_165244 (1).jpg

i.rant, 51504bat and Gasser 57 like this.
  14. Slopok

Slopok

Does anyone remember using those old metal milk crates?:eek:

15. Why do you need 6 ton jack stands? Is it for height? Four 6 ton jack stands should be able to support 48,000 lbs or 24 tons! (Well, maybe not the Harbor Freight brand...)

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the 6 ton ones for the added height for my OT diesel p/u.

b-body-bob likes this.
  17. I was thinking the same thing, how many actual tons would a Harbor Freight jackstand hold? I personally wouldn't want to be the tester laying under the car! Lol

18. Country Joe

Country Joe

And the best part of having your car jacked up for a month is how damn low it looks once it's on the ground again:D

RICH B and Just Gary like this.
  19. GTS225

GTS225

Personally, my HF stands are 3 ton. The box they came in claimed 6 ton, but I mentally derate them by 50%. I've seen broken Chinese cast iron.......I know their metallurgy isn't very good.

Roger

20. I use the 12 ton stands
    For height, stability at height and wide base stability.
    3 ton Are cute, 6 ton are puny

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ive similar items branded DRAPER 2TON .will have an inspection in the morning.thanx for the heads up

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

23. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I've got two 'good' and two 'bad-numbered' HF 6-tonners. Thanks for the heads-up. Very noticeable difference just as one of the videos above states clearly.

Like many here I do almost all my work alone so in addition to the stands I always have a fail-safe block where I'm working that's in addition to the hydraulic floor jack, so six points, ALWAYS, when underneath.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

I have 4 very old jackstands I use in my shop. I got the 1st pair from my old boss at the gas station I worked at for my 1st job and have had them more then 30 years. The 2nd pair I have I bought at an old farm auction and have had then nearly as long as the 1st pair. By watching the video above, the teeth on the pawl on all 4 of my stands is at least 2x as deep as the ones pictured. When you get a vehicle up on my stands, it doesn't move if you push on the vehicle in any direction. Often I will use a floor jack as a backup, but just as often I just use the 4 stands. I figure that if these 4 stands, and a good floor jack all fail at the same time, my time was up anyway. Gene

VANDENPLAS and nunattax like this.
  25. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Same here. One is currently holding up the passenger side of a car. I've had them for years so this isn't just a recent thing.

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

checked mine out.built to british and Australian standards.rated 2 metric tonnes.sturdy pieces jack stands 002.JPG

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey fellas... Please use garagejournal.com for your tool and shop stuff...

Thanks,

Moriarity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.