Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Hahahahaha. Good eyes! I got that one covered as well. Thanks for the advice my friend.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Meh .....

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  3. Now cleaning everything up for the new gaskets. Looks like the valve cover gaskets were glued to the heads. That is adding more fun to the experience. Anyone got a good idea for removing cork gaskets from cast iron heads? A razor blade has been my only tool so far. IMG_20200413_143536.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Stanley blade (utility)

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  5. Ok. Going to buy one now. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

get the handle too.i use this for cleaning the glass on my stove[/ATTACH] stanley scraper 004.JPG stanley scraper 001.JPG

Attached Files:

loudbang, X-cpe and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. loudbang and nunattax like this.
  8. Had the intake manifold machined. The guy said it was pretty warped. The shop owner said it took 3 hours to position it multiple times to get it done right. They removed 20 thousandths to get it squared. He said it was down in the middle and raised in the corners. That makes perfect sense.
    IMG_0051.jpeg

9. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Make sure you sit in on the engine with the intake gaskets and check the clearance on the front and rear of the manifold to the block. Taking .020 off will lower the manifold and shrink this clearance

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I hope they matched the ends also. But just use silicone instead of the rubber seals and it should be fine.

11. Will do. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Yes they did. The work looks amazing. I definitely avoid the cork stuff on the ends....

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

14. loudbang likes this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

I forgot the best tool do you have one of those oscillating multi tools use the knife blade. They are a work saver for many things about $20-$30 at Harbor freight on up for cordless. PS I'm pretty sure I don't have alzheimers but I may have halfheimers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  16. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a link to my build http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/garagefind-survivor-40-coupe-build.944754/. Check out post #133. My point is that I know why the machining was necessary : it is because I had the block decked .020" and the heads milled .020". This was optimal for my circumstance i.e. the ports lined up great and so did the manifold bolts. I just checked the gap between head and manifold with feeler and got .050/.052" ,which is probably around .055"-.058" uncompressed.
    It seems to me, from the machining pattern that you would have had a vacuum leak instead of a water seepage. Confusing.

17. Thank you for your comments. The intake manifold was originally removed and resealed due to possible vacuum leaks. After resealing we noticed the coolant seepage. There probably was still vacuum leaks as well. Hopefully this time things will go really well. Hopefully our bolt holes and ports will line up better this time too. I'm also going with a different gasket with slightly smaller port openings. I think I'll used Felpro 1256.

Outstanding car and build thread by the way!
    One day my car will be that nice.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    nunattax and loudbang like this.
  18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll look at the 1256 for thickness, as I have to machine my man a fre like the C4b I have on the car now.

19. Surely we won't need to use the double thick gaskets. Mr. Gasket has them for SBC part #101 I think. I can't wait to see your car with a Man a Fre. That would really look Badass. Nothing cooler in my opinion.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  20. Dennis D

Dennis D

After you set the intake on, make sure the underside of the intake bolt heads are contacting the intake flush. Also, make sure that none of them are bottoming out if going into a blind hole. D

21. Will do. Thank you!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Cleaning RTV silicone from bolt threads is not fun.
    I really don't want to do this again! IMG_20200414_230652.jpeg

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Should have put them in an empty (soup) can with gasoline a day or two ago.

nunattax likes this.
  24. I bet that would have helped! Oh the pains of inexperience....

nunattax, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  25. Nicholas ,
    I’m really proud of you,,,,,,a lot of guys would have given up by now .
    You have been fighting this for almost 2 months,,,,,but you have kept trying .
    I’m sure the previous owner had the same issue and just didn’t know what to do to fix it.
    You kept plugging away,,,and didn’t quit .

You will have an excellent intake after this,,,those Man a fre systems are one of the baddest looking outfits you could have,,,,,and run really good too .

Like I said,,,,,you kept trying,,,,,and now you should reap the rewards!
    It should run like a scalded dog after this .
    Oh yeah,,,,,listen to Moriarity,,,,,he knows how to tune these very well !

Tommy

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The upside of that manifold is you certainly won't have a problem checking port/ gasket alignment !!
    FWIW I have been using blue loctite on intake bolt threads for some time now , seals threads ,remains tight , no worry about electrolysis ...

27. We absolutely will follow his guidance regarding tuning. Thank you so much for the compliment. I've actually been fighting this battle since October!

I was taught day after day by my parents and grandparents to never quit. Lose if you must but never ever quit. My father's old buddy would always say "If it was easy then everyone would do it." I guess that's true.

I would be completely lost if it wasn't for people like you. Thanks to you and the HAMB family I have a fighting chance. I'm so proud of our work. Thank you and God bless.

Nick

28. Yes sir. I have a tube of that and also one of the GM assembly adhesive/sealant. Thanks so much for the tip!

loudbang likes this.
  29. So I've got to replace the leaking chrome thermostat housing again. Previously it didn't have an O ring so the previous owner filled that gap with RTV silicone and added a paper gasket. It leaked. We tried that method again and it leaked.

Should I just use the new housing with an O ring alone? Should I add extra silicone? The manifold is pretty tough in that area. I read that I should only tighten that down to 20 lbs/ft. Correct?
    Should I seal the thermostat down with silicone?

Here's a pic of the old housing. The new one and the manifold. IMG_20200415_194842.jpeg IMG_20200415_194850.jpeg IMG_20200415_194900.jpeg IMG_20200415_194831.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Because of the condition of the manifold , I'd put a bead of silicone/right stuff on the manifold and leave the o ring , snug it down , torque after 24 hrs., you can clean up excess silicone wet with denatured alcohol , dry with a razor blade and patience .....