Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs De-crowning '46 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Forgive me but I was exactly where you are with my Model A coupe. The car was great but I really wanted it to look like a '32. I finally realized that the car looked good for itself and that it was better to change cars than to modify something that already looked good. Happy Easter!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Uribe

Uribe

There is a book titled How To Chop Tops by tex Smith that covers how to chop these fords and diffrent ways to go about geting rid of the hump without doing a full on chop. Check it out

Greaser Bob and Stogy like this.
  3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Here's one of the 46-48 Ford coupes I've done. It's actually one of the more difficult chops to get right in my opinion. A lotta men tried... Many have failed.
    20200302_211857.jpg IMG_20190416_140328_203.jpg

47 ford, 1947knuck, lodaddyo and 9 others like this.
  4. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Jeepers criminy that's beautiful!!

Pinstriper40 and seb fontana like this.
  5. Ok. Please disregard my previous comment. That looks amazing! I does make more of a difference than I thought.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  6. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Pinstriper 40's chopped coupe looks awesome...

The OP was looking to reduce the hump... unless you're going all the custom like Pinstriper40, I'd say leave it alone!

47 ford, lurker mick and Greaser Bob like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Pinstriper40 nailed the rear roof line. That roof line, no chop with drip rails would be the perfect ‘46-47 long door in my humble opinion. They already have good window-to-body mass proportion at stock height but I’ve never liked that hump either.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

9. billg51

billg51
    from Ct

Here’s a pic I found of the 46 I used to run , car went to Australia when sold

Attached Files:

10. Drivinford

Drivinford

Chop I’m working on, way more radical than most like but.. 1D49F687-BE1C-432A-A645-2C18C6BF460C.jpeg 1CB478B9-BE48-4DBE-ABBB-2FFAE9C8E65C.jpeg

11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Are you going for the hardtop look ?

12. Bob, I get where you're coming from... The long door coupes have that 'football helmet' hump, used no doubt to give more headroom for getting into/out of the back seat. Ford went to a lot of trouble to try to 'hide' it too. Notice how the distance from the top of the window opening to the drip rail increases front-to-rear. Neither the short door coupes or sedans are proportioned like this. And when guys chop these it's pretty often that they cut more in the rear attempting to 'fix' this but that usually screws up the window proportions.

Now personally, I like the long door coupe... except for the 'hump'. But I've thought about this a lot; if my metal skills were up to it or I had deep pockets here's what I'd do...

First, use a sedan roof. These have even less 'hump' than the short door and for a longer distance. Assuming no 'chop' (unmodified windshield) I might nip about 3/4" out in the rear, mostly to get rid of the 'wedge' in the window openings. I'd want the drip rail parallel to the lower window opening line. Next, I'd reduce the width of the catwalk and move the rear of the roof/window back about 1.5", then lay it down a bit more. Finally, reconstruct the quarter window opening keeping the top of the opening equal distance from the drip rail, maybe even extending it back some.

A lot of work, but IMO would give the sleekness of the short door without the 'abbreviated' look those have.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Ned Ludd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Drivinford

Drivinford

Yes I am

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You nailed it with that look. These cars only look good chopped hard like that. Either whack it good and hard, or leave the stock roof. In between is a miss. When it's done right like these examples, it really makes a beautiful swan out of an otherwise ugly duckling. Killer.

47 ford likes this.
  15. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Crazy Steve do you have rendering of your concept if would like to see.

16. If I knew how to run photoshop I'd have one, but for now it's in my head...

17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

See if Moose here on the HAMB will do it for you. I would be interested in hoe it turns out. Frank

18. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

many many years ago i chopped a 53 dodge panel (wheelhouse panel) took about 1.1/2 or so ABOVE the driprail and over onto the top of the windshield ,never touched anything below the driprail just thinned the roof and lowered the upper windshield , really looked great difference was stunningly subtle ,, and as far as chops go was pretty simple , no glass work accept flat windshield ,,,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

19. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I know how you feel about the hump. But giving it the taildragger stance kinds of takes your eye off of it. One day ill chop this one. Wifes got me remodeling the house right now. No shop time for me
    5A385765-7BF1-4B73-BFA9-908110246231.jpeg

1947knuck likes this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've taken some liberties:
    Greaser Bob '46 01.jpg
    Indeed?
    Greaser Bob '46 02.jpg

1947knuck and Hnstray like this.