Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***April 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Shelter in Shop***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Mar 31, 2020.

1. guitarguy

guitarguy

Oh heck yeah. Very similar chassis to mine. I like it! I think my chassis ended up at 94.5" if I remember right.

winduptoy likes this.
  2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First chassis i built was 99” with a 10” set back. Steady as a rock at speed, but the rear was rather happy to step out (could of also been the very stiff rear spring I had to use). Really went to a lot of work to fit 2 people in, not even bothering this time, though there will be 2 seats. Wanted about a 6” engine set back, when I went to mount the new engine cross member, before cutting out the original, I found 2 existing holes that provided a 7” set back. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Old Dawg, rwrj and winduptoy like this.
  3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tried a new front cross member.

[​IMG]

Binger, guitarguy, Old Dawg and 3 others like this.
  4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pivir123, ROCKER77, v8flat44 and 10 others like this.
  5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Serious work this evening. Firewall mocked up and started playing with steering wheel centerline. Very complex[​IMG] math.

6. guitarguy

guitarguy

Ohhh, That's one of those special engine blocks I spy. Five main I presume?

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a regular old T block, that was given a little bit of massaging, once up a time. Will snap a few more pictures.

guitarguy and winduptoy like this.
  8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some reference photos for fun, the calipers are the stock T valve and intake sizes.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Doug.
    I see you've already recruited a driver! Are you still shooting film; or have you slipped deeply into Digital? I still have a Besler 45X Enlarger with a Color Head and a Schneider Componon Lens! Yours if you haul it away!
    Keep up the good work!
    JK

winduptoy likes this.
  10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oooooo!!!! All iPhone at the moment. Took my brownie out for a spin the other day, really lost my touch, blurry images everywhere. You keeping on?

winduptoy likes this.
  11. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]

v8flat44, Dustyp489, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We touched the ground today. Still a little ways to go, about 3”. Why, cause PRAISE THE LOWERED!

8E1A8180-26D3-43C3-BB58-9F43974679FD.jpg

Adjustments.JPG

13. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Happy Easter you guys!

14. Yeah! I'm still trying to keep all the ancient parts going the same direction at the same time. I'm finding that I have to "Safety Wire" just about everything! If I don't, things start to vibrate apart!
    gezzers2019.jpeg

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, started the day on the stands and finished it on the ground. Happy. It was a day of dumb sweat. Reworked the front spring pack and main leaf, now, which I’ll have to have remade. But, I got the drop.

Lunch time:

5513B6DF-31E7-4E4B-A777-1C63466E8AD4.jpg

G&T time:

[​IMG]

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buying one of the fancy spinning safer wiring pliers things is on the menu!

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Walking out to the garage (having a garage) and seeing this just makes me smile. Now back to work. Happy Monday. Adjustments.JPG

18. Wow- that's sitting nicely, Furb!

winduptoy likes this.
  19. guitarguy

guitarguy

I assumed it was a 5 main block because the port mods look very similar to those done by Les Schubert in Canada...who also then cast some 5 Main Blocks.

Anyhow, great progress. I like where your going with it.

winduptoy likes this.
  20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool. Will have to look his work up. This block was made by the late Jerry Sherman out of Los Angeles. He built a selection of T speed parts over the years. Have been able to scrounge up a few bits. Have 2 heads, a recent single plug reproduction and an original twin spark high compression head. Both use the flat head v8 cc (not my favorite). Also found a 4 dip sump and a tappet cover he made. Basically, found enough speed goodies to build a dressy 60’s style SoCal hot T flat motor.

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wrapping up work at 4:30 and being able to walk out to the garage has a few perks. Normally I leave for work at 0600 and don’t get home until 1800 at the earliest. Did some painters tape blue screen pro mod hacks this evening. Played around with floor board and body width. Flush to the frame or poked out 2”. Happy Tuesday.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]

Cant decide,need input..should I run a 'rubber rake'?..dont need 'hotrodder overdrive' for speed, got a mitchell..Dont need a big rear footprint either..I got a pair of modern radials coming, equivalent to 600/16..215/70 r 16..might be able to go a bit bigger on the rear without crowning too bad..but half of me says leave it square front and back?let it rip..

winduptoy likes this.
  23. Hank56

Hank56
    from NC

Lol I’m trying to decide to same thing...I’ve got a pair of 18’s I was thinking about running in back of my 28 roadster...16’s up front...I like a rubber rake! My 26 RPU has 19’ white walls all around...I’ll probably change those to 16’s all around...might ditch the white walls as well....not sure yet...

winduptoy and railcarmover like this.
  24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18 gauges of dumb. Obviously. Need to add some shape and stiffness. My largess will not bend these. 20 gauge sheet ordered for the rest of the body.

[​IMG]

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like a rubber rake my buddy calls it a 'Diego' rake because, according to him, it all started I San Diego.
    Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96 likes this.
  26. railcarmover

railcarmover

well,it looks like its me and you :) ..I like your rpu with 19's all around...try 16's rear,19's front on it,thats a different look.the only thing worse than whitewalls is tacoma cream wheels and whitewalls in my opinion..18's if the tire is tall should add a nice top end..besides looking good with the 16's on the front..

27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ed "axle" Stewart was doing dropped axles in San Diego and they were referred to as Dago axles. Certainly not a PC term today.

winduptoy likes this.
  28. Since the guys name was Stewart, I always assumed the Dago was slang for San Diego, not the derogatory term.

winduptoy likes this.
  29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Working rear fender on the Vicky. There was filler on it and not the best looking to start...I know, loose them but I like fenders. It has that split in the usual place. I gas welded it up cause I know how to gas weld. Made a shrinking disc out of the base of an oil filter....and an old bushing from a Model A clutch or brake pedal to center it up. Works good...but on the other hand, I don't know what I'm doing.... Off to fiddle some more
    IMG_20200416_114608589.jpeg

barrnone50, Jet96 and rwrj like this.
  30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know why the photo of the shrinking disc didn't make it on the last post IMG_20200416_114625074.jpeg