Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Staggered bolt Corvette valve cover on regular bolt head

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gearhead695456, Apr 12, 2020.

1. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

I know this is probably not possible but can I run the early staggered bolt pattern Corvette valve cover on a regular later model 283 head? Was thinking a riser underneath drilled out to fit staggered pattern ? I really dig these chromed valve covers or I wouldn't bother with it. Thanks

Attached Files:

427 sleeper, quick85 and Kan Kustom like this.
  2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Yes you can, exactly like you said. Make a 3/8" inch aluminum or steel exact copy of your VC gasket with one set of holes tapped and the other hole countersunk. It is close but can be done.

Pat

427 sleeper, Deuces, quick85 and 2 others like this.
  3. Yep.As 1934 coupe said make a spacer.I run Offy no hole covers on my 1970 heads.I put on a gasket,then the spacer then a gasket.Paint it the engine color.Guess you could use gasket in a tube to reduce the stack if the spacer is good,and flat.

Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Or, if you don't have the tools or ability to make a spacer/adapter, commercially made ones are available, but they are fairly costly. I am butch/56sedandelivery.

gearhead695456 and Kan Kustom like this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

I just marked the head then drilled and tapped the head for 10-32. Then I installed the valve covers using sealer, good quality screws being careful while tightening them. It worked fine. Back then I was young and didn’t realize “you can’t do that”.
    Come to think of it, I did just the opposite of what you want to do, I put later covers on early staggered heads. If I did I today I’d probably try 12-24 screws.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, arkiehotrods and Kan Kustom like this.
  6. Valve cover adapters are fun to make. I usually use 1/4 or 3/8 aluminum but I have used laser cut 10 ga steel. I've done regular staggered or not SBC covers to center-bolt heads and SBF to SBC in aluminum. I recently did adapters in steel for Y-block T-Bird aluminum covers to a SBC.

No particular reason other than I could and that the aluminum Y-block covers are the most handsome valve covers ever made. One man's opinion anyway.

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

8. jimvette59

jimvette59

They are aluminum. I have polished them and they look great. You can get the later ones that have the holes straight across. Try to trade them it will be easier then making a riser.

gearhead695456 likes this.
  9. the good thing about the spacers is it gives you more clearance for a roller rockers.

gearhead695456 likes this.
  10. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Well I went on ebay and low and behold they sell risers made for just such a swap. Thanks guys!

toptenmoe likes this.
  11. that is what I used and they work well.

12. jimvette59

jimvette59

Wow that's great. Good luck Stay safe !!!!