Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Scam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucks32, Feb 23, 2020.

1. reagen likes this.
  2. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

I think the legal term for the letter you want to send is "A Demand letter" where you state exactly what you want, no emotions, just the facts.
    You can google "demand letter" to get more details and see how to write one.. You need to state the exact resolution you expect, either the hood be returned or the cash. Of course certified delivery. It would be best if you know a lawyer who could send it on their letterhead. It can be good to be friends with a lawyer and do them favors.

3. @chucks32

IGNORE THE LAWYER ADVICE.

CALL. THE. POLICE.

Statute 5-36-103. Theft of property.

Theft of property statute in Arkansas says theft PERIOD with a value over $500 is a Class D felony.

(a) A person commits theft of property if he or she knowingly:

(1) Takes or exercises unauthorized control over, or makes an unauthorized transfer of an interest in, the property of another person, with the purpose of depriving the owner of the property; or

(2) Obtains the property of another person, by deception or by threat, with the purpose of depriving the owner of the property.

This guy has stolen your property. Call the cops & let them figure it out. Hurry up already. 4 months !

... & delete this whole damn thread, when you do.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^^^^ DAMN RIGHT ^^^^^^^^^^^

If his number is the one shown on the phone screen shots, that number is in northwestern Arkansas
    [ (479) 644-7195]. That's REAL close to where the HAMB drags are. Maybe a group of hoodlums could go visit Robert Powers if this issue isn't resolved by then. I'm sure if he saw a group of HAMBer's roll up he'd quiver like a small dog shitting peach pits. @chucks32 you do have his address, right?

I've filed one mail fraud claim with the USPS and it's a damn joke. $480 sent to Moores Auto Salvage in Rapid City, SD in November of 2018, claim filed after 4 months of bullshit, and nothing but one email from the USPS saying the claim was filed successfully. Since then, crickets.

5. leon bee

leon bee

Nowadays you don't have to really get all that pissed off for it to be "terroristic threatening". Be careful.

6. I did one against a guy in Wisc when I first joined the HAMB, went to the central post office in KC and filled out a paper, they said to wait got interviewed by a postal inspector and 6 months later they contacted me to fill out an affidavit and get it notarized to be used in a court case against said seller of fine goods.

I didn't get my 40 bucks back but from what I was told he soon became engaged to Bubba.

The trick is to show up in person I think. This new millennium web crap does not work, telephone and face time is still king with old institutes.

alanp561 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Looks like he has been kicked off the HAMB and Ford barn. Any updates?

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Robert Powers had zero Posts on the HAMB......

You shipped him a hood so you have his address.
    Call the police and file a theft charge on him.

Signed Up October 22, 2011
    Last Actvity February 27,2020

Robert Powers
    Member, from arkansas

Robert Powers was last seen:

Feb 27, 2020
    • About
      plumber
      1933 ford truck 1968 z28 camaro 1932 ford tudor sedan

Future advise to all that read this.
    Don't do any deals with anyone - buy or sell if anyone has less than 100 posts.
    That deosn't mean you are not at risk of being scammed - at least you get some idea what people do here / post to get some idea of their history.

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Chucks32;
    Don't be real surprised when the cops tell you they have no authority or jurisdiction over the crook. After a
    now-friend convinced me that I had been had & showed me the M.O.(s) that the crook used, I went thru ~ 2+ years of chasing ghosts down this alley - & I'm not done yet. Life keeps getting in my way, but I feel an obligation to make every attempt & effort to return the same favor of trouble n heartache to the crook. What you may have to do, is find out in which bank & what jurisdiction he cashed the check/paypal/POMO/etc. (Probably NOT the same as where he lives, bet the banking(s) is in a different area, so's his "shop", etc. & may not hold any property in his name, either). Then get hold of the police/sheriff in that jurisdiction to file a claim of internet (wire/banking) fraud. Then get a copy of the police report on that, & go from there. I found out that the theft of a thing ( in my case = car), isn't their concern, but the fraud is the taking of money (in some form or an other) & not providing the agreed-upon "value" for those funds. Which is what the "case" will be predicated upon, & the crook would be charged with.
    If it was me, I'd contact the CCco fraud dept, to discuss the reasoning behind their actions. If they helped him fraud you, I'd be willing to add their Co. name & that of the Fraud Dept Agent who made the decision; to the list of folks to be charged w/frauding you. & same for Paypal.
    There are other "favors" you can do for the crook, but I'll leave one that alone, for now, as I'm not yet done w/my "issues". Hope you get satisfaction. This has become a real problem, where crooks have more "rights" than honest folks.
    Marcus...

rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Whenever I list anything for sale, I list my rock bottom price, and that's it. But I'm also a little too "accomodating" when they've been unhappy after the sale. Sold an Aluminum Ansen 2 piece scattershield for the Tri-Five Chevrolet cars (outdated for NHRA legality), that the bottom had been chromed some 50 years earlier. Well, of course it's scratched up and dull, and the chrome is lifting; the buyer knew this, I told him and he still wanted it. After he received it, buyers remorse sets in, and he P and M'd about the chrome, and wanted $100.00 compensation, and it was just his way of getting it cheaper, since I would't budge on my rock bottom price (some guys just gotta beat you down on your price no matter what it is), and he threatened to bad mouth me here on the HAMB if I did't make him happy. Many other times, the buyer/giftee wants a shipping quote; do you know what's involved in getting that with some larger/heavier items? They chase you around town, then decide they don't want it/whatever, after all; well thanks a lot jackass. I've had NINE spinal surgeries, so it's not easy on me to do this. I just listed some parts in the pay-it-forward section here; a B & M Quicksilver shifter, a TH400 aluminum trans pan, and a 400 SBC flexplate, all for free, all or part, you just pay the shipping. As luck would have it, a young guy from my city calls and wants everything, promptly shows up, takes the stuff and leaves. Not even a thank you, kiss my rear, see ya sucka; just too young and unconcerned I guess; blame it on his parents for not teaching him some manners.! When I closed out the ad, I said "thanks to Ryan for the space". I have given away tons of stuff over the years, and have always gotten at least "thanks" from everyone I've dealt with. It's getting to the point I just want to toss stuff out; it's not worth dealing with, "the general public". I have given away Tri-Five fenderwell SBC headers, WCFB carbs, manifolds (intakes and exhaust), distributors, forged pistons/rods for SBC, TWO B & M Hydro Sticks with shifters and spare flywheels and torus assemblies, Cragar G/T rims, tires, and lots of other stuff. I'm not cheap, but I'd rather have something used than sit around for the rest of my life. By the way, my wife and I came to an "agreement" before we ever got married 34 years ago, that she would't fuss about my hobby and the costs involved, as long as she got the proceeds whenever I sold something. She had made out very well a few times, like when I sold my 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe Street Gasser; it was hard handing over that wad of cash! Rant over; I'm just tired of dealing with the gypsies, tramps, and thieves. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

he has texts from the guy, small claims court is anything under 10k, costs like 125 to file (which you can request be included) if he doesnt show, he gets a judgement. those texts ate PLENTY to win a small claims case. send the certified letter, explain that your item must be returned or you will pursue the mayter with the courts. THIS DOES WORK. Its a real judgement, he is going to fold and return your item. if he doesnt all bets are off and you sue him. At that point you have to convince one person and thats the judge, dont bicker, dont interrupt, just present your evidence when the judge asks you for it and be polite

12. Budget36

Budget36

@56sedandelivery

That aint right Butch. Does make you just want to toss it, but...maybe a yard sale on the stuff you're giving away? Put "any reasonable offer", take the lowball offer, wife can buy new shoes;)

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas - were not going to allow posting about physical violence on the HAMB.
    Doing what you have legally available is the suggestions.

Thanks.

oliver westlund and 5window like this.
  14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Just following up on this. The police many times will do nothing for something of this amount unless you are willing to appear in person.

Quite a few years ago I bought something from someone using Paypal. (Half way across the country). I did some due diligence. I researched and it was an actual business. I got a phone number. No item. I posted in different places concerning this business. I called the local police department and they said they were aware of them as they routinely rip people off but unless I was willing to file a complaint in person and show up there wasn't much they could do. (this was for like $300, I wasn't willing).

I could call them and get an answer (Yes, we have been busy, we will get it out) for months and months. One day I got a message from another person who had saw my post about getting ripped off telling me they had also. We sent some emails back and forth. Seems we both posted to the same motorcycle board. There were some other guys on that board that were local.

To make a long story short...........in a few days I got a message that my refund was at Western Union and to tell the guys to "back off, you got your money back".

LOL, I never did know the full story and I never asked. I sent them money for a few cases of beer.

15. Brother .. the police are an investigative arm of the prosecutor's office. The prosecutor operates from local, state, & federal statutes.

Your role as a claimant, is to file a police report & provide as much documentation evidence as possible. It is not the determination of the police. That's the job of the prosecutor.

That final determination IS the basis to justify charges. Welcome to the criminal system.

The OP has more documentation than I had to remedy my situation. My situation is similar to yours in the success part. Unsimilar to yours .. my guy also went to jail.

I did not arrive in person, halfway across the country. After sending all my supporting documentation .. I asked specifically how I may further assist their case without the travel expense. Police departments do cooperate, jurisdictionally.

My statement, along with my documents was taken at my police department, & forwarded on officially.

In so far as advice above, regarding small claims courts ... that would be LAST in my pursuit. I currently hold a $6000 "judgement" that's matured from an original $2k judgement awarded ten years ago.

You have to renew the judgement, to stay valid. Which costs money. I've actually paid to enforce, & collect. See theory regarding obtaining blood from turnips.

Call the police first. Don't stop at the front desk. Inquire within regarding who & what department would oversee theft. Then your details matter.

This is all I'll post. Finite answer. Not my battle. My battles have been fought. Some wins, some losses.

Learn accordingly. Your mileage may vary.

**EDITED for stupid tablet .. "autocorrect" mistake.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    rbrewer likes this.
  16. This is my eBay/PayPal 'experience' getting a refund on an item not as advertised.
    I purchased a semi-precious stone intending to convert it to a shift knob. I chose it based on the photos in the listing.
    When I received the stone it was obvious that the photos had been highly manipulated to enhance color.
    I filed a 'Dispute' with eBay/PayPal and contacted the seller. Bay/Pal informed me that their policy is I must first try to work it out with the seller, then if that fails, they would step in.
    The second piece of policy is if the seller misrepresents, he pays return shipping; if the buyer has changed his mind, he pays to ship back.
    My seller wouldn't do the full refund to make me whole so eBay/PayPal docked him and they refunded me the money and I got to keep the ugly mudball the seller originally sent.

The moral of the story is, sometimes you have to be willing to eat the return shipping to get something back. If you try and hang tough, you risk not getting the item back, no money and a blemish on your seller rating. It sucks but it is what it is. (Yea, I know, some crooks will send back trash and not your item. You don't 'refund' until you receive the item. If when you eyeball the package, you suspect further fraud, maybe get an LEO to witness you opening the package. The point is, the more details you have to support your side, the better.)
    It is possible to speak with the Customer Service Rep who is the actual decision-maker in these types of disputes. They can see your original listing and description that you can point out to them in real-time on the phone to 'sway the jury' your way. But you can't stonewall. You have to communicate.

oliver westlund likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I might be an old fart and old school but Post Office M.O. worked before the internet and PayPal and it works for me now .

s55mercury66 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

41, They do work no doubt about that, that is until you have a problem then they are no better than a blank piece of paper. Sad it's that way but it just is...

19. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

could also request the package held at the post office and open it on camera there with gov employees as witnesses

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  20. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I sold a can of paint to a man in Florida in 2009. He called and complained about the Paint so we sent him another can. Fast forward to 2020 our dealer in Connecticut gets call from this guy with the same complaint. He says an email saying if my guy does not replace this can of paint he will write bad reviews and badmouth us every show he goes to which he did. I called his number twice never returned my call. Luckily for me the Amazon selling agent posted our response. Friday I get a call from Connecticut that he left a phone message that he would like to purchase some paint.I could not believe that this man had this kind nerve This guys name is Edwin and he is from Altamonte Springs Florida. That's the second time this year that someone is trying to shake us down to get free product. It's a new form of Internet extortion. This community has always had integrity and honesty but it seems like in the last few years some things have changed.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can cash the Postal Money order at the post office when you pay for shipping. if they accept it, you are in. I was at the post office 3 days a week back in my ebay days. one of the clerks told me one time another seller was there that morning and they had a fake money order for $900.00 and they caught it. had they just deposited it at the bank they would have been out of luck.

oliver westlund likes this.