Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features A Moment in Our Time

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 10, 2020.

1. kursplat

kursplat

completely agree. and i didn't mean to suggest i saw it as a wart per say, i actually enjoy the picture more because i known it's recent. i'm happy any time i see old iron out and about :)

J.Ukrop, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too late. We were all Somewhere in Time, and you had to pull that 1979 penny out of your pocket. Bam... back to reality.

LOL

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64 likes this.
  3. kursplat

kursplat

Rickybop likes this.
  4. Eric1967

Eric1967
    from Union, Mo

J.Ukrop likes this.
  5. jim snow

jim snow

What everyone else said about the article. Thanks J. Snowman

J.Ukrop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Heres a few of the Roadster,before and after paint..

Attached Files:

7. As for the tub,theres a build thread on here somewhere..Do a search for The Jingletown Special and it should pop up..

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image (7).jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-jingletown-special-my-29-phaeton-build.871312/

Since this is a celebration of vintage timewarp...Seix seems to be hardwired on nailing just that...you are a talent...;)

I used to work in a Wartime Aviation plant and that looks very similar to just that...

It was McDonnell Douglas Canada and wouldn't that just be a coincidence if that was our Long Beach Destination for Product...All gone now...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

lurker mick likes this.

10. Thanks for the kind words..That photo was taken by myself at the long closed Alameda Naval Air Station.It does look very similar to other aviation sites i’ve visited,so the reference to Long Beach makes since!

Man Do I miss that little Tub sometimes :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Great story @J.Ukrop, please continue researching on Instagram!

J.Ukrop and TRJ like this.
  12. Great write up

J.Ukrop and TRJ like this.
  13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Showing my ignorance here... what does that nifty steering wheel come from? I'm digging it!

Stogy likes this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My question is, did the photographer, Nat, get to meet the owners of the roadster?

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Not yet,but soon

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:...1960 one of these...;)

RIP Stirling Moss

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Nostrebor likes this.
  17. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Like everyone else, I was too drawn to this photo the second I saw it. Timing is everything. The timing that this photo was shot, as well as the timing the shot was posted. Those two things rarely ever sync up as perfectly as they did for this shot, but when they do its insane how your mind forgets about everything going on around you and focuses on the beauty of a single photo. One of my all-time favs. I'd love to purchase a print of this.

jim snow, J.Ukrop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Great story and outstanding photo. Much care was taken in the roadster photo. Simple, but centered in its composition. Film cameras always had that feeling of picking the right moment for a photo. Sometimes it is frustrating when nothing works, but those times when everything does, it is a great feeling.

Back in those 35mm film camera days, it may have been that developing a 36 shot roll of color slide photos was expensive and one had to take care of what and how the photo was shot. It was helpful to have a second 35mm camera with different B/W film types in it for experimentation.

Digital cameras give some continuity as if using an old 35mm film camera, but faster developing and ability to adjust the photo. But, accessible phone cameras just take too many photos without composition, hoping that one out of 100s will come out. Even then, a photo program is necessary to get the right photo in the right moment. So, that causes a dilemma.

Your story shows that a simple, but well-designed hot rod, in a well-chosen background can be just as appealing to all concerned. That color roadster photo could have been B/W and still looked good. A sample of good photograph within a thought-out composition.

Jnaki
    Lee Hammock's 1934 Ford California Top Phaeton.

GOLETA, CA... STOW HOUSE BUILT IN 1873
    upload_2020-4-22_4-52-10.png Stow House
    The location, the hot rod, film camera, composition, and different photo angles all make for a good photograph. (a different angle with a short step ladder in the bed of the El Camino)
    upload_2020-4-22_4-53-5.png A different angle with a 2nd Pentax 35mm film camera using Kodak Plus X B/W film.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  19. slv63

slv63

My contribution. My dad’s car, taken around 2010 on an old film camera.

[​IMG]

Muttley and J.Ukrop like this.