Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wits end-283 won't start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vetteson, Apr 10, 2020.

1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

spark plugs, what do they look like, did you check the gap or just install out of the box? pull a plug wire and hold it close to the plug while someone cranks it, see a spark? if not, work your way back. if yes, check a cpl more. could pull a plug and watch it spark too. it can only be so many things. if youre getting sputtering i would think carb

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Amen. And thanks for posting that. Now I don’t have to say it

3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

A lifter doesn’t have enough travel to make a Valve not open at all

ottoman likes this.
  4. Youll get why
    The connecting rod hitting the cam remark amongst this other non sense is just DAMN funny.

5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

31Vicky with a hemi I checked out your thread - when did brake fluid get so smart and it is spot on. Also the build thread on your car is amazing.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Did this thing run yet???????

7. Wits end.... short wit I guess
    Generally its FAST and takes way less than 0.5 hrs to diagnose a no start issue and find the culprit. That’s not to correct the problem it is 30 mins or less to find it.

Compression first-
    FAST / that’s Fuel air spark timing - following compression.

8. Budget36

Budget36

And then there is the story about a broken crank in a 6.2 diesel I had..., but never mind.

Ford Flathead guys use it, I guess because of low CR?

9. Its very possible you have let stale fuel gum up the valve guides. Pull the valve covers and crank it to see if everything is opening and closing as it should.

10. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Does this statement fit. “ I’ve tried nothing to fix it and I’m all out of ideas”

11. So the compression test results come back with some zeros ? I missed that, probably because the OP hasn’t been back yet.

How about spark? Is there spark?

Tri-power37 likes this.
  12. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

You need 3 things to start, even if the compression is poor. They are fuel, air and spark. Since it won’t light with starting fluid I’d check spark first. You said there is voltage to the ignition module and it is wired before the ballast, is there power coming out of the ballast? Is there voltage at the coil +?

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OP need's to put in a fresh set of plugs and DRIVE the Damn thing to get some heat in it and dry it up. Starting and letting it idle to let it get up to temperature, and then shutting it off is one of the the worst things that could possibly be done. JMO.

14. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

You don’t have a resistor and a resistor coil do you? If you are running a resistor you need a non resistor coil.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Maybe there shouald be a sticky for "Help my car won't start" with the process for diagnosis? It seems these threads start with people trying to help, then the OP disappears with no resolution and the whole thing devovles from there

Blues4U, Baumi, kevinrevin and 2 others like this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

True, unless you're like me and look at the damn thing 15 times before it dawns on you what you're looking at is the wrong thing and you need to look in a different area. IE, when I couldn't get mine to fire correctly because I was looking at what should have been the bold groove for the timing mark instead of looking for a faint set of numbers and lines that were the actual marks. The bold groove was for some kind of newfangled fancy dealer hookup.

Sometimes we all miss things.....

ClarkH and Tri-power37 like this.
  17. It’s things like this being said that will get you excluded from adult conversations. But thanks for bringing it up.

Your issue is covered under T of FAST. Fuel air spark timing after compression

Piston to TDC, then check timing mark, then pop cap, trace rotor position to cylinder. (Maybe the timing mark is right, maybe it’s wrong) by assuming either way , well YOU waist time and money until you actually do.

Skip the piston TDC verification via physical piston stop test at your own perils. That’s why I’ve said it 3 or 4000 times.

There’s a troubleshooting hierarchy that’s been published since the dawn of time, deviation from it causes tail chasing. It’s solely based on logic, isolation, and processes of elimination. It is impossible to trouble shoot anything without those 3 , dumb luck might be in your favor and you’ll trip on the problem.

We can all miss something if we assume, deviate from the trouble shooting hierarchy, or forget the basics. If we don’t do those things there won’t be anything that gets past you

18. So basically the O.P. is not a mechanic but a parts changer. A lot of others posting here are in that same group. Keep it up guys, the parts houses love your kind. Sooner or later you might get lucky, if not there's always the For Sale sign.

VANDENPLAS, Old wolf and ted kovacs like this.
  19. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

It’s all about knowing how something works. No matter what it is if you don’t know how it works you will struggle to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AngleDrive and Old wolf like this.
  20. vetteson

vetteson

The wire leading from the resister goes to the + side of the coil. Updates: no spark at all. Hooked up test "plug" to block ground, no spark. Used a plug wire from coil center to test plug grounded, no spark. Tried other wires, same result. Purchased new coil, tested it with ohm meter, 1.4 ohms across terminals, +-9000 ohms secondary resistance, hooked up, no spark. Tested distributor ground to block, 0.5 ohms. By the way these cars were originally 6 volts but I rewired entire car for 12V. And again the car did start and run last fall.

21. Knowing how something works could probably qualify you to write a book.

While anyone capable and simply willing to read one of many books can fix anything.

Understanding principles and how they cross or overlap means you could be an innovator or inventor. Then someone will write a book about the thing you made so others can know how to fix it or how works

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. Test the negative side of the coil (this is the discharge part of spark) while cranking.
    So far you’ve tested the input to the coil.

With a test light between + voltage and negative side of the coil while cranking the test light should flash.

VANDENPLAS and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Amen to that one!

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Even a blind squirrel finds his nuts occasionally ....

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

True. My problem was a combination of loss of sleep, loss of memory on a basic, not thinking through the problem due to that loss of sleep, and assuming I was right instead of hunting the book and looking it up.

At least I was adult enough to admit my mistake, while some would blame others.

26. vetteson

vetteson

Ok, ok, ok, so this thread has headed off to oblivion. Some responders need to read the initial thread (mine) completely, not "FAST." Anyway, I fixed it...……….

oliver westlund likes this.
  27. :)

28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

what was it?

town sedan likes this.
  29. Sleep deprivation is worse than being drunk and a pretty effective form of torture.