Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to protect hand lettering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Apr 6, 2020.

1. txcr13

txcr13

Had some lettering done on my car, using 1 Shot paint, onto a clear coated finish.
    I chose not to clear over the 1 shot, and I have let it dry a couple months.

My question is how to care for the lettering. It may be nothing special needs to be done, but I really want to avoid any potential screw ups.

Looking for some specific do's and dont's for cleaners, polish, waxes, protectants and procedures.

Thanks in advance.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Keep it parked inside most of the time. And don't worry about it.

Montana1, dana barlow and txcr13 like this.
  3. One shot is designed to hold up to the elements, it is a specialty enamel and the only thing I would suggest is to keep the car waxed. HRP

4. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks folks, good to know. With all the extra time lately I’ve been practicing my lettering - and movie watching.

3D64AFB0-44CB-457B-953C-C20DCFE4354D.jpeg

slv63, Asphalt Angel and olscrounger like this.

5. Speed~On

Speed~On

Thats a good question txcr13. I had Speed~On painted on my dash rail about 8 years ago with 1 Shot paint. I'm fortunate as it's protected from the elements. It's still brilliant red & white today. As squirrel and hrp stated, it's quite resilient. I've made it a point to not rub up against it, other than that, nothing. The 1 Shot is holding up incredibly well.

64524939_2377140222543341_4504896995539796568_n.jpg

6. The one shot will probably outlast the car ;)

7. I would just keep it waxed.

txcr13 likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that on the outside of a vehicle the thing that may damage one shot quicker than anything is car polish. Not wax but the polish with a bit of abrasive in it that gets used to bring the shine out on paint jobs that are a bit tired and take polishing to keep the shine up.
    I had a friend here in town that owned a body shop for years who was telling me once that he pad painted one guys car three times over the years because the guy polished the paint off of it. He would polish it right down to the primer in about four years and then take it back and have it painted back the exact same color and polish it right off again.
    I remember my stepfathers 54 Chevy 3100 having signs painted on the doors and that paint never seemed to wear off. I waxed the truck once in a while just to keep it shining and have something to do but when we wanted to get rid of the lettering it didn't want to come off but I was 15 then and didn't know much about taking lettering off and there was no internet to resort to.

alanp561, loudbang and rockable like this.
  9. Easiest way to make sure that the lettering stays put....decide that you want to take it off. Once you decide to remove it...that paint isn’t going anywhere without replacing body panels! :)

loudbang likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don’t worry about it... the best thing is you can take it off with Easy-Off oven cleaner without hurting the paint. $.25 1/2” paint brush and cut the brissels at 1/2”. 09B6B625-AA80-473D-97CA-A3F167F5E0E4.jpeg

loudbang and txcr13 like this.
  11. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks for the response. I had in mind to avoid polish, because of what you mentioned about the abrasive effect. I have seen a couple products that are advertised for use with single stage paints that are supposed to help preserve them. I will look into those a lottle further.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks.

13. txcr13

txcr13

Looks great. Glad it is protected.

14. txcr13

txcr13

Pretty sure it will outlast me. Just want it to look its best while i'm around.

15. txcr13

txcr13

This is what I want to try and preserve best I can. Looks like avoiding polish, and keeping a good wax on it should do the trick.

Attached Files:

16. One shot is sign paint. Tough stuff. Made to last forever.

17. When I Build my Race Car I Had a Professional do the Lettering &
    Pin Striping and he Asked me about the Speed of the Car and
    I told him under 150 mph & He Coated it according
    So why Not ask a Pro Pin stripper what to Use.
    The Car was Done in 1969
    Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

18. I sold One Shot sign lettering enamel in my retail business for more than 40 years and I can assure you it is nothing like single stage automotive paint, normal maintenance practice that you would do as far as washing & waxing will not effect lettering enamel.

Millions of old signs are hand lettered with one shot and are still being done today, the work on your car will last for many years if you do nothing at all. HRP

loudbang, txcr13, harpo1313 and 2 others like this.
  19. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks. I did ask my pro painter and he just said "wax it". I may be over thinking it, but I am looking for a little more specific product recommendations and application tips.

Would be very interested to hear what coating is used for 150 mph, vs 100 mph, etc applications.

20. Your defiantly over thinking it your pro painter says "WAX IT" but you want more.

When my dad was in the Army Air Corp he did nose art on Boeing B-29 Superforteress bombers and their top flying speed was 400 MPH, he used one shot enamel, speed has nothing to do with lettering enamel. HRP

Montana1 likes this.
  21. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Having been in the Hand lettering and pin striping business ( along with custom painting ) for 45 years here's what I tell all of my clients . All you have to do is wash it on a regular basis and wax it about once a year , period . One shot enamel is made for outdoor signs and will hold up to elements on an outdoor sign , without doing any type of maintainence for 5 to 10 years . If you'd like to see some of what I've done for verification , check out my website .

22. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks again to all. Looks like simple wash and wax. Cool.

23. Yes. Don't over think it. ;)