Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How long will new gas last

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glrbird, Apr 10, 2020.

1. glrbird

glrbird

With this social distancing going on, I don’t drive anywhere. Will the gas in the daily driver last? It only gets driven about once a month before the virus. Now it’s been sitting about 2 mo. What do you guys think?

loudbang likes this.
  2. triumph 1

triumph 1

It starts to go bad fairly quick but modern fuel injected vehicles don’t have as many issues with it compared to what carbureted engines do.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer and fill the tank with Ethanol-free fuel just before storing it. I had a car stored that way for two years and it started up & ran fine. and that was a carbureted engine,

Desoto291Hemi, loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

depends where you are, how the car is stored, what kind of car it is, etc. I've been ok here in AZ with gas over a year old in older cars in my garage. Late models with sealed fuel systems, a couple years. But in older cars, sitting outside for over 5 years, it turns into a mess.

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.

5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Gas with ethanol in it does not last as good as gas that is ethanol free.

loudbang, Truck64 and Dave Mc like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New gas? There’s new gas?

I use 1 oz Sta-bil marine in every fill up and have for 7 years. A 15 gal fill up lasts about 2-3 months as I drive 2000 a year. Carbs and tank are clean and not any junk or build up in any thing. I have one of those glass AC 50’s fuel filters right before the carbs.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I have been told that Standard Oil premium is will be good for a year.
    That’s one reason I always buy premium fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. the new car have sealed fuel systems and the fuel lasts longer than in the older cars. if the fuel has ethanol in it and it is allowed to evaporate it goes bad in a month or two. the better the grade of fuel the longer it lasts. using stability and fuel additives does help. I manage a collection of over 50 cars, I battle this daily, your results may be different.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had pure gas in my car when the transmission laid down. After it sat about a month, I decided it might be down a while, so I put a bottle of Stabil in it. Last summer, I decided I was going to drain the nearly full tank before I ran it with the newer motor, so I started pumping it out {electric pump} a couple of gallons at a time and using it in my lawn mower and 1955 IH farm tractor. It ran as good as fresh gas, so I decided to go ahead and crank the car on it. It ran fine in it, too. That gas was at least three years old or older and still looked and smelled like it did when I put it in. That Stabil works!

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I usually do not have any problems with the new gas in my older vehicles sitting over winter but trouble starts when it gets closer to a year,years ago I bought a parts car that sat for 16 years and I needed the gas tank from it and it was 3/4 full of gas so it went in along with the gas and it was still good but would not try that today.

Desoto291Hemi, loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  12. tjm73

tjm73

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I think i have said this before. I THINK it was Hot Rod Magazine had a article about Gas left left in carbs/tanks. This new shit will eat the aluminum of a carb if left for a while.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you tried driving it?

15. Pour a bottle of Sta-Bil in the tank. Why take a chance?

jimmy six, Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  16. glrbird

glrbird

Thanks, it’s an 06 ford pu, so I guess Sta-Bill it is. Got some on the work bench, so I won’t have to leave the house. Thanhs for the info.

17. tjm73

tjm73

That non-HAMB vehicle won't care about the fuel sitting in it's tank, fuel lines or injectors. It's designed for this fuel.

I have a 1 year newer of the same truck. I just drive it to work once a week or so. Some times I take it to the hardware. Sometimes I just go for a drive. Mostly to keep the battery charged. If it sits for two months or longer, the gas won't matter much becasue the battery will probably be dead. Those trucks always have a power draw, unless you unhook the battery. It keeps the radio info memory going and they have an alarm system even if you don't use it.

Anyway enough with the non-HAMB stuff. Let's get back to real hot rods.

18. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I recently built an off topic vehicle and stored it for two months. It wouldn't start and upon examination the carb adjusting screw had corroded and blocked the jet. Never saw a problem like that before

19. BJR

BJR

HOW LONG WILL NEW GAS LAST
    Depends on how far and how fast you drive.:p

gimpyshotrods and Hnstray like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't have a clue.

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Being in Minnesota I do have some knowledge of storing a vehicle for months. Have put cars in storage in October and fired them up in April. Never used Stabil or Seafome and never had a problem. I fill the tank with non-oxygenated premium fuel,disconnect the battery and bring the battery home to keep warm and on a trickle charger.
    A good premium gas with no ethanol/alchohol seems to last at least 6 months.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there is no problem with non oxygenated fuel. My impala sat unused for 3 years (I know, shame on me) and fired right up last summer with non oxy gas. It is the crappy gas with 10% ethanol that won't last much more than a few months