Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Pontiac Catalina Stick Car!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31hotrodguy, Mar 3, 2020.

1. I have a factory aluminum BOP bell. Its for a 66 and newer engine. it has the dual trans pattern. Some GTO's and Old's 442 came with ford three speeds. Some of them are short like your original three speed. pontiac alum bell 001.JPG pontiac alum bell 002.JPG

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My '68 400 Firebird had that same bellhousing also.

3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Not knowing much about the GM X frame cars I thought I could maybe run the long tail shaft Pontiac trans and then run a one piece drive shaft but I don’t think it will clear the x member tunnel.
    I’m going to look through the chassis book and see if they show a picture of the 4 spd mounted. Curious how Pontiac did set up for the different trans.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Old wolf,
    What year ford trans would I look for? My 4 spd is a super T10 which I’m worried is not strong enough considering what they came in.

5. 1965 and up into the 70,s. They made millions of the short ford transmissions. the ones from behind a FE are stronger than the small block and six cyl trans.

6. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

Wow that's an awesome find and you have done a good job raising your kids to help you, my 3 boys helped me a lot as they were growing up. Which brings me to my next point.
    My older brother purchased a brand new 1960 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible, it was black with the triple blue interior black convertible top, it had the 389 engine with Tri-power and a 4 speed with bucket seats. I was 10 at the time and use to play in it shifting it and flooring the gas and working the clutch ( until I found out that I was flooding the cylinders with fuel " stupid kid" ) My mom use to drive it but she didn't like to use 2nd gear ( it was a close ratio 4 speed). My brother sold it to a guy after he was laid off and the guy kept it in his garage until he passed away. ( I don't know if it is still in his garage or not I guess I should find out but that was so many years ago ) Thanks for bringing back some memories for me.
    Thanks and good luck on your adventure.
    Ron.

7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you Ron for the encouraging words and for sharing the story about your brother. Any chance somebody has a picture of that car???

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A Super T10 should be stout enough, shouldn't it? An old standard T10 may not be, but the later "Super" ones will take a pretty good beating.

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

As has already been mentioned, that's the same 3 speed as used in the 58 - 64 Chevys.

Concerning swapping in a 4 speed......A Super T 10 is a very strong transmission. It's equal to, if not stronger than a Muncie 4 speed. Plus, it doesn't say "Ford" on it. LOL.

I've never done this transmission swap in a Pontiac, but have done it several times on 59 - 60 Chevys, (using a Muncie 4 speed). In a Chevy, the same trans cross member is used for all transmissions....3 speeds, 3 speed OD's, automatics, and 4 speeds.

The cross member on a 4 speed Chevy is mounted in the same location as for a 3 speed, but is installed is a lower position when using a 4 speed. This is because the 4 speed rear trans mount is in the same location, (front to back), as a 3 speed. However, since the 4 speed tailshaft case is deeper, (top to bottom), than a 3 speed, the rear mount is lower than on the 3 speed. On a Chevy, both sets of mounting holes are there, from the factory. Although, I've always used Muncie 4 speeds, a Super T 10 would use the same installation methods.

From your photo, it's obvious that a 60 Pontiac used a different cross member than a Chevy. However, since your 3 speed is the same as a Chevy, the mount location for a 4 speed will be the same as in a Chevy with a 4 speed. That is, it will be in the same location, front to back, but will be lower in the car, than with a 3 speed.

Check for an extra set of mounting holes for your cross member. It MIGHT be as simple as using a different set of holes. If not, fabricating a new mount should not be too difficult. From your photo, it looks like there is plenty of room to drop the rear mount. By the way, it might be easier to use a later style transmission mount, like the following.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...lvEAkYAyABEgJUP_D_BwE&store=7134&gclsrc=aw.ds

As far as the drive shaft, it will need to be shortened. Chevys used a two piece drive shaft. The rear half was the same for all transmissions, 3 speed, 3 speed OD, automatics, and 4 speeds. The front half was a different length for different transmissions.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Wolf, that bellhousing you pictured in your Saturday post above fits a 1965 engine as well. I have a 65 engine thats attached to a 2004R in my 60 Pontiac.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you Torkwrench, that was very helpful! I have made the switch between 3spd and 4 spd several times in my 57 Chevy but because there is no crossmember I never paid any attention to the rear mount of the trans (my 57 3 spd OD doesn’t even have a trans mount)
    I had assumed the trans pad on the short 3 spd and 4 spd were in different locations because of the tail shaft length but after measuring them this morning I realize they are in the same( as you mentioned) .

12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I got my Long Branch exhaust manifolds from Ram Air Restorations today! I still need the oil filter adapter an possibly the mini starter. Adjustments.JPG

j-jock, 1947knuck, scotty t and 8 others like this.
  13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

You're welcome. Glad to be of some help.

By the way, does your Pontiac have a two piece drive shaft? With a mid-ship bearing, like an X frame Chevy? If so, there are some easy ways to reinforce the stock bearing support.

There are also heavy duty mid-ship bearings that are available for 58 - 64 Chevys, but I don't know if they will fit a Pontiac. A bit pricey, but they are VERY nice.......And MUCH stronger than the stock bearing. This is what I have in my 59 BelAir.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI596qseTp6AIVksDACh292QHsEAQYAyABEgJA-vD_BwE

59 at Cordova.jpg 2011_08_06_Bob_&_John_@_Cordova_02.jpg

14. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

16. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

Mig welded the lower patch in, the upper was filled with PC7 epoxy.
    I think I may still have an NOS four speed transmission mount, I sold the car.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  17. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

If not, I think I do.

1947knuck, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  19. Yes my bell fits any BOP engine that has a block mounted starter.

20. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

The driveshaft hanger bearing can be rebuilt if required and the housing itself is still useable. The bearing is around $65 and the assy rubber isolator can be revulcanized by Steele for around $75 I believe. The Chevy bearing is not the same from what I remember. Not sure if the new Chev assy will work.

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

By the way, does your Pontiac have a two piece drive shaft? With a mid-ship bearing, like an X frame Chevy? If so, there are some easy ways to reinforce the stock bearing support.

There are also heavy duty mid-ship bearings that are available for 58 - 64 Chevys, but I don't know if they will fit a Pontiac. A bit pricey, but they are VERY nice.......And MUCH stronger than the stock bearing. This is what I have in my 59

It is a 2 piece drive shaft. Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

But like Poncho mentioned it is different but I don’t think it would be impossible to make an adapter bracket to use the stronger aftermarket one you mentioned from summit racing.

By the way, Nice 59! Especially nice to see it being raced!

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Scott, the heavy duty carrier bearing support used on X frame Chevy's is good quality (provided its nota Chinese repop) but exremely rigid which requires a slip joint on the forward driveshaft section. Inland Empire Driveline makes a good made in USA support.

Gary

loudbang, Torkwrench and 31hotrodguy like this.
  23. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

The stock center bearing is plenty strong for whatever you probably have in mind. A guy that posts on the Ames sight used to race a 60 that was running in the 10s with the stock center bearing wo problems.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

1947knuck, loudbang and Bullit68 like this.
  25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

26. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

You’re welcome! It just makes the column look correct for a stick shift cars.

27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I remember when my father in law changed the timing cover to the later one but I don’t remember what kind of condition it was in when he installed it. Either way after 10 yrs if sitting it corroded away a nice hole in the timing cover. The strange thing is there was plenty of anti freeze in the water so I would have figured it would be somewhat okay???[​IMG]

After taking off the water pump I found a weird mixture of rust and silicone looking gel????????. [​IMG]

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  28. Anti freeze loses its rust inhibitors in a relatively short time. I always drain out a gallon every fall and add a new gallon to freshen up the mix. As bad as your front cover looks. I would knock out all the core plugs and really clean the water jackets.

29. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Based on how that cover looks and how long the engine has been sitting, I would be a little concerned about the condition of the block. Based on my experience w a friends 392 hemi that sat for a long time that way. Just my 2 cents.