Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '32 Torque Tube...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was wondering if I can use my '32 Torque tube between my '40 rear end and my '39 top loader trans. Searched but found nothing. Thanks...

2. Duke

Duke

If your 32 rear is a late it should work. Look at the axle end to see if it matches the 40.

3. What car are you working on?

Charlie Stephens

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

'32 5W with a '40 rear end, toploader trans, 8BA with a to be determined overbore, Fenton Intake with three 97s, a mild cam, and original Eddie Meyer heads.

I have two '32 rear ends but only one torque tube so I'll check... round versus scalloped flange, correct? How difficult is it to shorten a '40 torque tube?

Tried to find the diff ratio today but didn't spot it. I need that to determine if I should use the regular Ford trans gears or the LZ set I have. Any advice regarding the trans gear choices?

Thanks...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020

5. Duke

Duke

If you have a late 32 rearend I think it is as strong as the 40. Everything will bolt together then.

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The rear ended is on jack stands, no not Harbor Freight ones. I marked the input, pinion (?) and the brake drum. I rotated the imput 15 times before the drum got back to precisely the index mark. 15/6 gave me a 2.5 ratio. I think I did something wrong.... tips?

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well that is interesting.... I heard that the '32-34 were not as strong as the later ones. It would be a bonus if they were as strong. Now the axle tubes on the later '32 rear end has had some butcher surgery so would the axle tubes between the early '32 or '40 rear end be a direct swap to the later '32 (scalloped) rear end? And would the juice breaks on the '40 rear end be a simple swap as well? Will the '32 torque tube bolt right up to the top loader trans?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just getting my ducks in a row...

8. Remember the '40 rear end is wider. The '40 brakes will go right on the '32 rear end. The '32 torque tube with bolt up to the later trans assuming you are using the original rear transmission mount for the '32.

Charlie Stephens

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

As for swapping the bells , the center banjo housing is narrower on 32-34 vs 35-48. This makes putting your 32 bells on the 40 center not work as far as I know

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

If the banjo hasn't been messed with there are numbers stamped on the bottom on the wedge ,like 9 34,9 37 etc. No such thing as a 2.5.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Didn't think so. I found a 9 and about a inch and a half away something like a "c" so I can't identify.

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Charlie,

I will be a using an original '32 rear trans mount. The torque tube I have is coupled to an early "32 rear end for a Model B engine. So... will it work with the later '32 rear end and would the early rear end bells bolt onto the layer rear end?

In my research I found a post that said use the forty rear end, grind the spring to fit the '32 rear crossmember, and shorten the '40 torque tube. Does that seem like a good idea?

13. I am not really sure what you are asking. Correct it when you are awake. I hate to say it I do the same thing. Right now I am up feeding the dogs so they stop barking. You can't interchange the early and late '32 torque tubes. The early bells won't fit the the '40 center section. Shortening the '40 torque tube and grinding the spring would work but the rear end may be too wide depending on rims, tires and if you are fender-less. What engine are you planning on running? Too much hp for an early '32 rear end?

Charlie Stephens

14. Duke

Duke

What type of damage does the late 32 have? If someone booger welded on to it can you clean it up? If it is not the bearing surface things can be fixed (that can be fixed as well, but need to be a machinist). The 40 brakes will bolt to the 32 rear.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I've got to quit typing without my glasses... I've corrected my weird spelling.
    See post #4 for engine details. Wheels will be '35 wires and will be running full fenders.

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Somebody used a cutting torch to cut off the spring hangers. I do have the complete '40 rear end, torque tube, and radius rods.

It seems to be find a late '32-34 torque tube or just use all the '40 stuff.

17. alchemy

alchemy

Check the distance from axle centerline to front face of the banjo center on the late 32 versus the 40. I think they are different. So then even if the 32 torquetube will bolt onto the 40 center, the length may be wrong. Might as well shorten the 40 torquetube then.

I've seen all kinds of methods guys use to shorten the torquetube. Some think a hacksaw and some tape measures are good enough. The machinist who did mine used a large lathe, making the cut at the back end. The best way to check is to bolt it all together when done and spin the driveshaft inside with no bearing in the front of the TT. If the driveshaft is in the center of the TT and spins concentrically you did a fine job.

I think a 40 rearend isn't too wide if using some 35 wires. The tires should be positioned nicely, still under the fender but not too far in.

town sedan likes this.
  18. dwollam

dwollam

To figure out rear end gear ratio, on an open rear end, keep one wheel on the ground or locked somehow so it won't rotate. Mark the pinion with paint, scratch, spit etc. mark the other wheel, hub whatever. Rotate that wheel 2 exact turns and count the number of revolutions of the pinion. 3 3/4 turns approx is a 3.78 . 4 and a touch is 4.11, etc . On a locked or posi rear end, raise both wheels and rotate the wheel ONE full turn and count the pinion turns. Posi doesn't have the spider gears to deal with.

Dave

19. The topic of width keeps coming up. How about measuring backing plate to backing plate and posting what you find? Referencing in comment about glasses (Post # 15), I am lucky enough that I can use glasses from the dollar store, I keep them all around the house.

Charlie Stephens

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

the 35 & up center section of the banjo is 9/16" longer to accommodate the larger pinion bearings so, drive shaft and torque tube should be 9 1/6 shorter to keep the same wheelbase.

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yep, I’ve got them scattered around as well but just like a pen when you need one you can’t find one! LOL

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I checked the gear ratio between rounds of ingesting chocolate eggs ( I wonder what those rabbits eat in order to produce chocolate?). Anyway it was roughly 3 3/4 turns so I guess I have 3.78 set of ring and pinion gears. So saying that, and what I have indicated will be the engine setup, would I be advised to run LZ trans gears or stay with the standard Ford gears?

23. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

It is a certainty that the majority of 32 hot rods with banjo rears use the 35-40 rear axle assembly. The difference in width is not a factor, the cars arguably look better with the wider rear. In the picture the roadster has a deuce rear, the coupe has a forty, both with 40 Ford 16 inch wheels. The combination favored by many is a 35-40 center section, axles, and bells with a shortened 35-40 torque tube, a 32 or 33-34 drive shaft with the coupler that fits the pinion splines on the later rear turned down and welded to the driveshaft. 39-40 Merc. or 42-46 wishbones complete the package. The 35-40 spring is ground to fit the 32 crossmember using one of the small 32 leaves as a guide on how much to trim the later leaves. There are many other combinations. IMG_2300 copy.JPG

low down A likes this.
  24. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

The "T" could be a "4" ? If so 9:34 ? =3.78

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Now that was VERY helpful, thank you! As far as the rear wishbones could I not use the '32 or '40 set? Locating parts around here seems rather difficult...

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yep, I have a 3.78.

27. alchemy

alchemy

Use the wishbones that match the axle housings. The 32 mounts vary differently from the 40.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Would the '40 wishbones have to be shortened at all?

29. alchemy

alchemy

Probably. The 40 bones are long. Maybe if you can shorten the TT in front of the wishbone mount you could keep them long. I think a tape measure should be exercised.

30. alchemy

alchemy

Or you could bolt a set of 42-48 wishbones (shorter than earlier parts) on the 40 housings and maybe not need to shorten the bones. You'd have to heat and bend the ends a bit since the angle is slightly different. Then just position the mounting bung on the torquetube to match. Six of one and half dozen of the other.

town sedan likes this.