Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Offy is suffering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Sure hope your employer doesn't depend on those people's money to keep his business afloat.

As has been said, we're all in this together. When you start cutting out a large block of working people, the trickle-down will affect us all.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  2. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

So you suggest we maintain a completely outmoded and inefficient system in order to keep folks employed....just to perpetuate that inefficient system? That sounds dangerously close to the old adage "We do things this way because we've always done things this way."

This manufactur/distributor model worked in the days of mail and phone orders....out of necessity. There is simply no reason to continue with this method, when there are more efficient means which are more profitable to the manufacturer while simultaneously providing then end consumer with increased savings and more rapid and satisfactory service.

The exception to these rules, of course, are the mega retailers, like Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc who function as their own distributor. These entities are large and secure enough to act as their own customer service and warranty centers, leaving the customer in the best possible situation.

Why anyone, in this day and age, would walk into a parts store and be perfectly fine hearing "We will have to order that," I have no idea. I can order it myself, most likely saving money and getting it as fast or faster.

jvo likes this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

I received a confirmation of my Offy order in the usual time and I received an email saying my order has shipped yesterday. I'd say they are doing business the best that they can under our strange circumstances. So if you are contemplating a purchase, no need to wait they seem to be up and running. Just want to keep the record straight.

waxhead and Kan Kustom like this.
  4. Not to make light of Offenhauser's situation but they are not alone, millions of business have a bleak future. HRP

TA DAD, Kan Kustom and Deuces like this.
  5. Valid points, but the way it was said was rather crass.

Brings to mind the whole magazine debacle, outdated and inefficient, yet many here insist it's superior to any other means of dissemination of information.

Times, they are a changin', I fear many will have to scramble to find a way to maintain a livable lifestyle. The winnowing of extraneous positions won't be easy on anyone.

6. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I apologize if it seemed less than polite....it was not my intent. I do get quite frustrated when folks insist on doing things the old way, for no other reason than a reluctance to accept change.

K13 and CNC-Dude like this.
  7. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

As a former distributor, Your numbers are way off! 40% markup on a well established quality part is a Dream. in most cases 20-25% is about the general. And then you still compete with the manufacture. The reason I say you have to compete is most all of them sell to the public as well. Even the ones that claim they protect their Dealers usually offer free shipping. Which I am sure you know this but there is no such thing as free shipping! someone is always paying for shipping, So let me give you a real example, I sell a $100.00 part my profit margin is 25% So that is $25.00 profit right? Wrong! I had to pay freight to get the part because manufactures do not give their dealers free freight like as offered to the public. to be safe shipping cost across the board is around 10% give or take. So now I made $15.00 on a hundred dollar part. And I run most of the risk on that $100.00 part for $15.00
    Now try doing this for a living! So when you say we are lining our pockets, Please try it and show me how lined your pocket is.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    rockable, Blues4U, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  8. tjm73

tjm73

Sure my percentages may be off, for car parts. I'd concede that's possible. However, I've been privy to cost and mark up in both retail and as a distributor of many different items. 30-60% has been not just common but typical.

But regardless, if you were getting 15% or 50% what value to the product's were you adding? Did you provide tech support? Did you handle all aspects of any warranty return? Did yo guide the end user to the best product fo rtheir need? Besides buying and reselling the product for some level of profit, what was the value add?

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Just bought a few things myself today.
    I started to ask about difficulties, but decided not to. I know that they aren't one of the top sellers in the hot rod world anyway, didn't want to make things worse.
    Nice guy, very helpful. A couple of the things that I bought were on sale on the web site.

Mike

Pinstriper40, 5window and Kan Kustom like this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just got an E-mail from Carlos at Offenhauser and they are processing my latest parts orders for shipment next week. Sounds like they're back at it.

11. saltracer219

saltracer219

I have recently reached out to them with inquires about their new early Olds starter changovers and their water crossovers. It has been several days with no reply yet.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WD, warehouse distributer, as stated here are part of what we have or did in some cases. Recently I researched a set of racing Pistons from a well known local manufacturer I had done business with for custom Pistons. They had a set in stock. I call one of their reps, a friend, and asked about them. Dealer price only no good buddy deal but if I couldn't find a mail order house who would work with me, call him. Back.
    I found a guy in Iowa who would sell me the Pistons, the # I gave him. I asked if he was going to drop ship and of course it was. I asked if I paid credit card could he put them on "will call" and he did. I call the manufacturing co. asked for will call and gave the purchase # the Iowa guy gave me. They were waiting, I drove down got them and we raced on the weekend.
    Seems like some manufacturers are the warehouses now...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to step on your foreskin and call"bullshit"! If you want to buy the next cheapest Chia Pet from an offshore manufacturer, the internet is at your fingertips. But if you want a piece of history that somebody resurrected from the distant past, and you can't hold your breath and wait for a moment (a month or two or six) for reality to catch up with 1950; AD, then I hope you "live long and prosper" in the present Amazon/eBay world. Thank you for your support.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Problem with online ordering is if something's amiss , wrong part , broken part , defective part , .NAPA , I call, problem solved , online , not so much . Customer service is worth the money and the wait .

5window and dirty old man like this.