Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help me ID this rear axle - update trying to clean rusty axles without sandblasting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 10, 2020.

1. OK, I'm pretty sure it's a Ford rear axle and a 8"

I remember buying this from a friend a long time ago when he was working on a Model A sedan for a customer, the Model A was sitting on coil springs and it had ladder bars but beyond that I'm clueless. HRP

100_2851.JPG

100_2852.JPG

100_2854.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    47ragtop and dana barlow like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Looks like the tag is missing,it could of let you know the ring n pin count. But now if you'd like to know,you'll need to pull the pig an count them,as the axles are not in it. I replaced my 49 Olds rear in my 28A with one of those. The ford 8 has been good,only draw back is it's high @ 3.0,great for MPG but not as good at sh#t an get, as the 4.11 that 49 Olds was.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Yeah Dana, I'm thinking it's a early Mustang/Maverick rear but not 100% sure and your right the tag is missing. I got the axle minus the backing plates.

I plan on posting it in the classifieds and don't want to mislead anyone. HRP

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Measure the width flange to flange and somebody can give you a close guess as to what it came from, that is unless it's been narrowed, then it's just a guess....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. atch

atch

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that all 8" Ford rears were identical; i.e., the same width and take the same axles.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Looks like a 66/67 Fairlane........and the good kind of 8"..........a little stronger web I believe.....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pop the axle shafts in, and get an overall measurement, or measure all the stuff, and add it up.

People will want to know.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No, not all the same......several widths depending on application. Also axle tube diameter variations. Built in both 5 lug and 4 lug. Brake diameter and shoe widths vary. However, the differential carrier (the pumpkin or drop out) fits all housings.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    saltracer219 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

With all the webbing on the case it's a late 60's or later 3rd member while the housing it self looks to be a little earlier maybe mid 60's,they were never in coil spring rear cars so all that is custom.In a light car it should be plenty strong,they were all 28 spline and small bearing but so were the majority of the late 60's and earlier 9".

j-jock and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

That one does have the re-enforced webbing carrier which is the more desirable. After you open it up just divide the ring gear tooth count by the pinion tooth count to calculate the ratio. Cool that it already has the 4-bar brackets on it as well. Great for a daily light weight car being much lighter than a 9". Everything is readily available for them with a good range of ring & pinion ratios. That chart that Mike Miller put up will give you a good indication of where it originated.
    My good but short memory is telling me it is a '67 housing, going by the unused oil filler depression stamping but I could be wrong.

HOTRODPRIMER, VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

2 x dimples and a fill plug in the rear of housing could indicate a 65-66 Mustang, housing isn't tapered (Stepped down) at end either like some cars. Could be a Granada housing?

[​IMG]
    Double ribbed, 67+ casting is stronger than early single rib cases

9-v- 8.png
    9" (L) -v- 8"(R)

OFT, HOTRODPRIMER, '52 F-3 and 2 others like this.
  13. atch

atch

[​IMG]

Is there a way to know which of these are 8" and which are 9"?

OFT and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hi
    if you need backing plates ,i have 2 i took off my 8in,thats in my T

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Lack of a filler hole in case does indicate 67 and later housing, the filler hole was moved to the chunk. That's something you have to watch for when buying and or switching chunks between different housings, it's possible to put together a unit with two fillers by using a later chunk in a early housing, and one without a filler by using a early chunk in a late housing.

As far as I know, tapered or necked down axle tubes were only used on 4 and 6 cylinder rears, all 4 lug axles. The chunks are the same and are all 28 spline, but the axle bearings are smaller OD and won't fit a 5 lug V8 housing nor will 5 lug V8 bearings fit a 4 lug housing. Before the boneyards dried up, a quick and easy pick was a Mustang II or V6 Pinto 8" chunk, most were 3.55 ratio and many were equipped with a TracLoc. I have one but it's an open diff and not a TracLoc.

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. There is no indication of the axle tubes being narrowed. HRP

18. Another rear axle under the bench ?
    what else you got hiding in there ?
    :p:D

HOTRODPRIMER and partssaloon like this.
  19. The 9" was in front of the work bench, the 8" was something that got stuck under there in the floor,out of sight and out of mind just after I built the garage in 2004.

All my jack stands were in front of it, this is were I was going to stash the 9" but I think smarter people than me convinced me it's time to sell it also.

Every thing was fine until I decided to clean up and reorganize, now I am questioning why I have keep so my things I really don't use or need. :rolleyes: HRP

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  20. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Flange to flange width will allow you to pinpoint the donor. It most likely won't be bought for the original application anyhow since the spring pads have been cut off. A buyer will only want to know the specs of what is there.
    Hook a tape measure on a flange.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. With the knowledge it was removed from a Model A and the builder had used coil springs was a normal of installing the rear axle back in the 60's & 70's I figure it will find it's way back under another Model A. HRP

22. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you put the axles is you not only can get the overall width, you can also count the turns, and figure out the ratio.

With those two numbers, I'd bet it sells in a jiffy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. I will give that a try. HRP

25. nobby

nobby

if the longer half shaft is 29 3/4'' flange to spline end
    its from a 71 72 73 maverick
    74 75 76 same length, bigger drum register
    total 56 .5
    if 3/8 longer than 29 3/4 - to equal 57 1/4 total, its mustang
    those drums are for 10 by 1 3/4'' shoes
    so you need Bendix back plates with the number
    319480/1
    you need the shoe separator bars with the little h plates and the springs
    also the park brake arms

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Think I was wrong - the 66/67 Fairlane 390 axle I got with some other stuff has the double web but so do the two Maverick rear ends I picked up today - I thought t 20200411_142646.jpg 20200411_142341.jpg 20200411_142338.jpg hey made a single web 8" ?

HOTRODPRIMER and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  27. 67EEBD86-2A98-492D-A1C4-9E9BFABE1B7B.jpeg 3E2EBDC9-A44B-49FC-9521-0F354167807E.jpeg On 8 inch rear,a socket can be used on ALL nuts; on 9 in,the BOTTOM two(2) nuts are removed using open end/boxend wrench. Socket WON’T fit on bottom 2 nuts on 9 in.

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

65-66 v-8 Mustangs and Falcons had 5 lug and the housings were 2-3/4" and necked down at the ends. 63-65 Fairlane housings were the same width as the Mustang, but the tubes were 2-3/4" straight. Hi-Pro Fairlane housings were 9" with 3" housings, necked down to 2-3/4", from the u-bolts out.

Desoto291Hemi and HOTRODPRIMER like this.