Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rattle can automotive touch up paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe H, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Joe H

Joe H

Has any used the automotive touch up that is premixed and put into rattle cans for you? I have a antique bicycle I am wanting to paint, and the color isn't sold over the counter in spray cans. One 12 oz spray can would do the whole thing. I see there are a few companies that package and sell the spray cans, just wanted to know if anyone has any good or bad to say about it.

Joe

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. I've used it to paint my license plate house number I made. It faded pretty quick, I would get automotive paint mixed up and put into a spray can (if you don't have a way to spray it).

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I know that your local paint shops can fill an aerosol can of your color for you. They can also make touch up paint in smaller viles.

It's kind of expensive. I paid $25 for a rattle can and $9 for a vile of touch up paint from the paint shop that I use.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Up here a few places do it 15-20 for a can

If you can bring them a sample, I usually bring the gas door
    They can match the colour to the faded paint in your car.
    Used it dozens of times and works great.

5. Joe H

Joe H

I want to paint the bike to match my truck and no one sells the color in cans. Figured since I was stuck at home, I would order some. $19 a can is what I found, guess I will give it a try.

loudbang likes this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a company on line to match the paint code on my 2011 F350 as I had to replace the mirrors and wanted to paint the caps to match the body. They took the code, mixed the paint, and had it to me in about 2 weeks and it matched really well. www.automotivetouchup.com was their site. I got adhesion promoter, paint, and clear gloss. It worked out well in my opinion.

loudbang likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Automotive Touchup. Any color by name, year, and code. Base coat and clear. Small bottles too. About 2 weeks even now..this from a 1981 color
    DC9C02F4-A815-42C6-A03B-F39E154FB126.jpeg .

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. I have a local body shop supply that makes the cans up, not cheap but comes in handy.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I used the Automotive Touch up last year. I gave them the paint code and it matched perfectly.
    Basecoat and clear coat.
    Give them a call and see if they can help you. I used their lacquer clear coat
    but they make a higher grade clear coat that requires a mask.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you color sand their clearcoat and rub out/polish. Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's a list of what I bought from Automotive Touch Up. I purchased enough to paint
    tail gate but decided not to as the dent was so small. One body shop wanted $1200 to do the repair and another wanted $550. My cost was $185.

1.I first back taped taped off area around dents and scuffed up the dented area with 180 grit. I didn't go down to bare metal.
    2.Then applied Bondo, and feathered it in.
    3.Then applied 2 to 3 coats of sandable primer and sanded it smooth with 320 and 400 grit.
    4.Then, where needed, applied thin coat of glazing putty and sanded it smooth to blend in.
    Then, let this sit for 2 days to allow for shrinkage.
    5.I then removed the tape, making sure it was nice and clean with no paint line ridges or adhesive.
    6.Then applied 3 to 4 super light coats of base coat (green) letting it almost dry between coats. It came out nice and smooth so I didn't sand it with 600 or a finer grit. If it had been a little rough or a large panel I would gave sanded the color coat with 600 grit or even finer. It won't harm anything to do this.
    6.After green base color coat was thoroughly dry, I applied the high gloss clear coat lacquer to the repaired area pulling spray can away from the original green metal on the panel so as to feather it in with no paint line.
    7.I let this dry for about a week and then lightly polished it by hand.
    There may be better methods but, this worked for me and has been on the truck for over a year with no problems. Be patient and give the Bondo and primer several days to shrink before apply color and clear coat.

To gain confidence, FIRST practice making a repair on a scrap piece of metal.
    PS: Even though I had only a small dent in the tail gate, I would have made the repair
    and repainted the entire tail gate surface as the tailgate is removable and easy to paint.
    Good luck.

Attached Files:

12. Joe H

Joe H

That's the company I am leaning towards. They have the paint in the color I want, probably get the clear also. Bicycle luckily doesn't need any Bondo work!
    Thanks for the input,
    Joe

loudbang likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks 19.... your info is perfect. The part I’m doing is off the car and rigid. Great that you didn’t need to color sand the clear.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I lived in McGregor Tx in the early 70's and worked in Waco the chopper craze was in full swing and a lot of guys building choppers would go to a local automotive paint store and have the owner mix paint to order. I used his mixed and put in spray cans of primer by the arm load in 1973 and it was the same primer you bought by the gallon. A lot of the bikes that got painted with spray cans from there looked fantastic.

Driver50x, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. It has other useful times as well. When I had the paint shop mix up my base coat, I had them fill 2 aerosols with it as well. As it turned out, when I was spraying the car, I didn't have enough room under the car to spray the underside of the rockers, my spraygun was just to long and bulky and upside down, so I used one of the spray cans for that. It was tons easier than what I went thru applying the clear. Also, I just refinished my air intake the same as the body color, I was out of the base coat, but still had a spray can left.

loudbang likes this.
  16. oldolds

oldolds

Around here Auto paint stores can mix and put paint in a spray can. Some can even do a deal with hardener in it. You push a button to mix it. I have not used that brand yet.

loudbang likes this.
  17. fordor41

fordor41

I had a ford wind star van and now a ford freestyle and can't find any paint co. the will sell the colors of either. also I had '94 or so ford blue on my '41 ford and no one would sell that color either.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve finished my part. It’s off a 1940 Chevrolet below the grille tying the fenders together. I followed 19Fordy’s way. I’ll show the beat up one and no I didn’t repair it. I purchased another one off e-bay about 10 years ago that needed a little tlc but nothing like the bent up one. I have yet to do any rubbing or polishing. It’s a hard part to see installed. The paint match is close, the car was painted in 1985. My son says it will be going back to black some day. 927BC7EC-E6ED-4392-8CD5-1F52356C686D.jpeg 41D36FB0-6998-494C-B5D6-87961592CB31.jpeg

41 coupe and Desoto291Hemi like this.