Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

The link is specclutch.com . They are in Alabama. Not a Chinese company.
    I got my fuel cell mounts built today. I am looking for a vintage hard shell suitcase that will fit over the fuel cell. I am going to line it with Sheetmetal to be DSCF3632.JPG DSCF3633.JPG a legal firewall.
    Will bolt it to the floor and just snap it open and fill the cell . When done just snap it shut and it looks like I have period correct luggage for my 1/8 th mile trips.
    The back end will have either carpet or a rubber mat. Haven't decided yet.

3. AmishMike

AmishMike

Build a sheet metal box over fuel cell with snap open lid & just throw a Amazon or Summit cardboard box overtop for looks. I am sure you have couple those laying around

enloe, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Pawn or antique shops may be your best bet to find an old suitcase. I think it's a neat idea! Who would think you'd have a fuel filler under a suitcase? Maybe even get a couple of small travel cases to bolt beside it for a ballast box!

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Hombre like this.
  5. glrbird

glrbird

Rubber mat, you spill fuel on carpet you will breath fumes for a while.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

A smaller travel case is for the battery box.

scott27, enloe, Fiddle Picker and 2 others like this.
  7. suchadrag

suchadrag

Probably a 64. Sorry for the lousy image. Can't wait to see yours when it's done.

Attached Files:

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes it's a 64 but they are the same cars just different front fenders. Thanks for the photo.
    My Crites fiberglass front bumper got delivered today. thank you Fedex for delivering parts during this time of crisis. The other UPS and Fedex were at my house at the same time.
    I tried to get them to argue who's delivery truck was faster.

scott27, catdad49, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A Kodak moment right there!

10. 6sally6

6sally6

Is that a BAD thang?!!!:D:D

427 sleeper likes this.
  11. RmK57

RmK57

Being a station wagon how do you separate the fuel cell from the driver compartment? Or if you put the battery in the rear there is supposed to be a bulkhead to isolate the battery from the driver.

loudbang likes this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

RmK57 didn't you read the post about the Sheetmetal lined suitcase? It's a legal firewall.
    Don't just look at the pictures . Read the context and try and understand the reasoning behind how something is done.
    Actually The battery will be in the spare tire well and the spare tire cover will be Sheetmetal lined on the inside and carpeted to match the rest of the interior on the outside.

62hotcat, scott27, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Worked all day on changing the spare tire well. I couldn't stand looking at the side of the car and seeing it hang down below the quarter panel. So I cut it off and made a new flat panel to go down in the well out of 18 gauge Sheetmetal so it can hold the battery tray I built today.
    it's not completely done yet so no photos . Maybe tomorrow.
    Made a panel for my cut off switch rod. It runs through the back up light socket . Since this is a 202 model back up lights were an option that this car didn't have. This way I don't have to put a hole in the body. My slicks should be here tomorrow and my axles Tuesday. DSCF3634.JPG

scott27, catdad49, AHotRod and 9 others like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

yeah my slicks came in today so I got to drill 32 holes in my brand new old stock ford station wagon rims . These are the spec tires for the SEGA super stocks. 29x7 Hoosier Drag masters. DSCF3636.JPG

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Should be able to do a lot of welding now that the Gov. of TN. has issued a stay at home order.
    As long as I have welding gas and wire I should be able to make some progress.

scott27, catdad49, AHotRod and 5 others like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got the passenger side front floor pan welded in. Got the drivers side torque box bottom welded in and was really moving along when a rental furniture company truck ran over my mail box and snapped the post off.
    So I had to stop and call that company . Luckily the regional manager was in the store and took the call. He said he would be over in an hour with a new mail box. To my surprise he showed up with a new mail box a new post and a shovel . He brought the two guys that were on the truck that did the damage and handed them the shovel and stood there and made sure they did it right and when he got done he brought me a 50 dollar gift card for my trouble. Nice Guy.

62hotcat, scott27, catdad49 and 21 others like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now that don't happen every day.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a call from Hudlow axle to come and pick up my new axles. Progress keeps happening yesterday FedEx dropped off my Alston Race Cars 8 point roll bar.
    Almost got my front floor pans and footboards in. DSCF3639.JPG

62hotcat, enloe, scott27 and 9 others like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Started mocking up my Econoline copy seats. Very comfy for race car seats. still some grinding on the welds. Hard to mig weld in the wind when it blows the shielding gas away. If it's not raining it's windy. DSCF3640.JPG DSCF3641.JPG

62hotcat, enloe, scott27 and 11 others like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Going to probably cut out a lot of the driver side tunnel to clear the Super Shifter. That's why I was not too particular with it. I will be making a cover that will be Dzused in after I get the trans in and the shifter mounted.

21. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

What company was it?? I need a new mail box!!;);)

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  22. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Hey SC, any chance you could take a picture of the underneath of the seat and show what the mounting hole bolt spacing is? Wondering if They use the same mounts as the beat up Econoline seats I've got in my 48 Dodge.

bchctybob, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Racing Snake . I sure can. I have to work tomorrow morning, but when I get off work I need to measure the seats for the mounts I need to make.
    I will take a picture and give you the measurements. I think you can go on the Smitty Bilt website and get those, but I will post them anyway. the seats are for a 68-72 jeep.

enloe, scott27, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Racing Snake here are the measurements and a photo of the bottom of the seat.
    Inside holes front to back 14". Outside holes front to back 12 1/2 ".
    Inside holes side to side 13 3/8 " Outside holes side to side 13 3/4 "
    I hope this helps. DSCF3642.JPG

enloe, scott27, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  25. I’m digging those seats...very afforadable

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Would look good in a Falcon.

enloe, scott27, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  27. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Perfect, thanks!

Thor1, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my floors in back to the front leaf spring eyes. Got my main hoop for the roll bar mocked in and fitted just got ready to tack it in place when the rain started. I just got my welder put up and my stuff put away before the bottom dropped out.
    If I had a shop big enough to work on the car inside I would have kept going but this is a driveway build . I can get the car in the garage, but then I can't get the doors open. It was fine when I was building my Morris Minor, but this Comet is longer and wider. We are house hunting and first priority is a bigger garage.
    You guys can say that you would only have a 2 door, but after cutting the pans out and welding new ones in those 2 extra holes in the side of the car sure are coming in handy for a 70 year old.
    Fiddle Picker and I are both building SEGA super stocks and he is building a 4 door Chevelle and he had to do the same thing .Put new floor pans and a roll bar. He agreed that the extra doors are coming in handy. Should have photos tomorrow.

enloe, scott27, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a phone call this morning about 8am. The tornadoes that went through Tn. last night and hit Chattanooga also hit Cleveland and made a direct hit on my Grandson's house. his dad called me and said he needed me and my chainsaw. We had to cut our way in and you could not see his house from the road for downed trees. The trees had also ripped the electric line loose from the house and was on the ground.
    We got the trees cut off the house in the back and the power company came and killed the power and it was a miracle. About noon 5 guys came in the driveway with their wives and said we are here to help
    no charge just good people. We jumped in and got the driveway opened up and started on the back yard. About 3pm here comes a church bus from Ga. Out jumps another 10 people a lot of them were teenagers who wanted to at least drag brush to help.
    This country will be O.K.!

62hotcat, enloe, scott27 and 28 others like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

After work today I got a little done . I got my main hoop for my roll bar in. The floors have been getting
    surface rust from all the rain and no door seals. So I shot some Rustoleum primer down and then some black spray paint that came with the car. there was a box with about 20 cans of spray paint. It's Fred's brand and says compared to rustoleum. they probably just put a different label on them.
    Doesn't really matter as it will get carpet DSCF3646.JPG DSCF3645.JPG per the rules. That or rubber mat. Now I need to trim up the back of the tunnel to match the front and finish the rest of the floor pans and start on the seat mounts.

enloe, brEad, scott27 and 10 others like this.