Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Half Fendered Hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cpe66jun.jpg

http://www.carnut.com/iown/cpenow.html

:rolleyes:...I believe this to be the Jonny Pate who was a close friend of the George McDowell who ran the Carnut Website...both is are no longer with us but they certainly lived the fun we are still enjoying and shared a lot of imagery with many like minded Hotrodders...

RIP Hotrodders

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Jet96 and Lil32 like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We were introduced to several, semi fender, hot rods early on in our neighborhood. There weren’t too many as the fender law in So Cal back then was very strict. These days, tires don’t need to have coverings or if there is one, it can be minimal. (ever followed an open wheel vehicle in the rain or gravel strewn road?) At the drags during out era at Lions Dragstrip, the rules were pretty clear cut and dried.

If it was a street roadster, RPU, it had to have fenders. As minimal as some racers used, those cut down fenders fit the rule. Even if the big slicks stuck out way past the edge of the rear fender and the front motorcycle fenders cut down did little to protect daily drivers from flying rocks. It was ok for the “letter of the rules” as a street legal roadster or RPU.

One of the most colorful roadsters we saw at the drags with a small fender was this Candy Apple Red or Tahitian Red roadster at Riverside Raceway in 1959. With all of the top racers in the USA in attendance, this little roadster stood out among the “best of the best” in the pits.
    upload_2020-4-7_4-16-33.png 1959 Riverside Raceway
    The minimal rear cut down fender did little to stop the flying rocks on any daily drive. The no front fenders is also a DMV violation back then. But, with the Hemi motor and cool exhaust system, the roadster looked very nice. It was a street roadster for the street, not for racing at the dragstrip. We just could not walk by without a film or photo.

Jnaki

The same time period at Lions Dragstrip had the racers trying everything to get an advantage in the racing. Full fenders cut down to smaller fenders just to fit the drag racing rules. Junior Thompson drove the Jim Cassidy street roadster to many wins on most So Cal tracks. Sometimes it was so powerful that it looked like handling the little roadster was a difficult proposition. But, the wins speak for themselves.
    upload_2020-4-7_4-18-14.png
    LIONS 1958-60: Street Roadsters had to have fenders, (as little as they were) to be fully street legal. It would have been awful to follow this roadster down a normal city street. (being street legal and all...)

Jim Cassidy/ Jr. Thompson street roadster (check out the drifting action into the gravel...)

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @jnaki...you highlight an interesting part in the Street Roadster Class Race evolution and also interesting was that Beauty of a Red Roadster didn't track race but seemed to be a directly inspired by the Racing Roadsters. This is often a subject of passionate or dare I say volatile conversation around here...often referred to a Poser...I am open to why these inspirations evolve and enjoy them without the labeling...

You also highlight the evolving of the class going from driven to track and raced to all race with no intention of street driving but meeting the criteria to pass Class rules with the addition lights and fenders...

I very much enjoy the look despite the lack of road manners...thanks always for sharing...

jnaki likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

When the top was used they removed the seat bottom and there was a 1" thick upholstered pad they sat on...I'm thinking it wasn't very user friendly.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That covers sitting in it but how did they get in? That was the other question posed by the other Hamber...Maybe the 55 version had a passenger door and I couldn't make it out...

The pic from 58 from your thread was damaged and I did a little Photo restoration to it back a page...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/half-fendered-hotrods.1189042/page-5#post-13520540

:rolleyes:...link right here...it was Photosucketed to boot....not sure if you noticed...that is a beautiful pic...

Thanks for chiming in...;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Sorry I forgot to address that part. It was dubbed the "Flip-Top T" in the August '59 Car Craft because the Carson top did in fact flip back. No doors on the original car.

20200407_201956.jpg

EVL401, Jet96, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Lil'Alb Posts # 156 & 158 answer your questions regarding the Anderegg Roadster which I might add was a converted coupe for historical reference...​

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rban39.jpg

:rolleyes:...One from @rbantique's Collection...just all over wild...

Tow Truck Tom, EVL401, Jet96 and 8 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

010-2017-pendine-sands-loeber-1932-ford-coupe.jpg

:rolleyes:...Across the Pond Excellence at Pendine Sands...

Tow Truck Tom, EVL401, Lil32 and 9 others like this.
  11. Stogy likes this.
  12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This rod appears to have a flattened Deuce frame to fit the contour of the A body. Yet, it looks to be a vintage picture. Whatever, it is neat as hell !

town sedan and Stogy like this.
  13. town sedan

town sedan

Hadn't noticed so I went back to look again. Also doesn't look to be pinched at the cowl. Truly a neat old car.
    -Dave

Stogy likes this.
  14. may 17 2009.1.JPG My son's '31 Model A.......built as a Father/Son project in the early '90s........

may 17 2009.4.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1958-HOT-ROD-MAGZINE-FlatHeads-Ford-ROADSTERS-Olds.jpg

:rolleyes:... @Stan Back, here's a set of Beaded Bobbed rears I can say pretty confidently are not a digital paste up...and that does speak to the many facets of finish Hotrods possessed even today from Raw to Finessed...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    EVL401, Speed Gems, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  16. papajohn

papajohn

Mine is actually less than half fendered.

IMG_20170512_151240783.jpg

exterminator, Lil32, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1945.JPG

Sancho, Lil32, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

70004710_2331866436850249_5722864340747419648_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...The Good Ole days...

Sancho, Lil32, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. SR100

SR100

EVL401, Sancho, town sedan and 3 others like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The workmanship is truly amazing on that...I would love to know the story behind it...I shared these way back in the Homogenized Thread and have never forgotten how cool it is...much appreciated...;)

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

287d51fdabf02cf3743f6866427c91c5--rockabilly-cars-sock.jpg

:rolleyes:...Mad for plaid and Hotrods...every reason to Smile...

Man I just zoomed in on that zine and smile at what I read...I do stuff like that...:D

I think the pic itself is vintage...and puts me in a good place because after all we're celebrating Fixed Rear Fenders and Cycle Fronts...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  24. deadbeat

deadbeat

Lol first thing I noticed was the book, very clever, cheers @Stogy

Lil32 likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@deadbeat this I believe is an RJ modded pic, I take vintage pics and do similar but this one had nothing to do with me but like you I noticed it and it does make me laugh of course...

But didn't I just put a pic in the wrong Thread...:eek:...awe heck I'll let it go...it's cool anyway...;)

deadbeat and Lil32 like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

StormsAcomin.jpg

:rolleyes:...Another nod to the Bakan Coupe

EVL401, Cosmo49, akoutlaw and 5 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

img799_orig.jpg

:rolleyes:...I believe this is that more polished/finalized Roadster shared earlier in this Thread. I will link when I find it...;)

:rolleyes:...I am wrong...again...:)...the unpolished Roadster is in fact from our friends Down Under whereas my earlier linked post is American, Dearborn based...but both sharing similarities showing the influences from those Mags and Movies I suppose...

Jet96, town sedan, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuce_halfender.jpeg

:rolleyes:...You really should consider Cycle Fronts...

No Sir...I enjoy all the Pie on the Crusts...:D

Shadow Creek, Jet96, deadbeat and 4 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32996918645_abca06bba4_b.jpg

From Hamber @desoto's Camera Lense

EVL401, Sancho, deadbeat and 3 others like this.