Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pirate, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I have read that if you take your recalled jack stands back to any Harbor Freight store they will either replace them with new jack stands or give you a gift card for HF of the current jack stands value. A receipt from original purchase is not required.

loudbang likes this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^Same here....just a little insurance for just in case!

loudbang likes this.
  3. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Hein-Werner

I have their floor jack and their stands are also made here. :)

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

SO is the part number stamped on the jack stand somewhere??
    Reason i ask is i have 4 of these and have had them a while.

loudbang likes this.
  5. cktasto

cktasto

I just called HF and they said there is no recall in place for jack stands

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Cosmo49 and loudbang like this.
  6. kballein

kballein

loudbang likes this.
  7. kballein

kballein

Hi, I have a pair of these jackstands and have used them a good bit. I'm definitely not going to use them any longer.

I've posted a couple pictures of them so everyone knows what they look like. Don't look at all the crap in my garage, it's a mess as usual.

Thanks,
    Ken

upload_2020-4-10_15-22-8.png [​IMG]

loudbang and Kiwi 4d like this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This virus is the only thing that the chinese have made that has lasted this long.

nunattax, raven, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  9. chopped

chopped

So has anyone got a recall notice from HF or are we going on a post from another forum?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Kume

Kume

History obviously not your strong point.
    Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

jack stands.JPG I was a little short this week for cash

12. cfmvw

cfmvw

I once made a set of jack stands out of 2x4, creating a pyramid with a wide base and a large top for the load to perch on. Not adjustable, but very stable and won't go anywhere. My son ended up with them, so I will have to make another set.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Its called " humor" or "humour" to the Brits.

14. I just checked mine looks like the pawl seats deep in the notch...they are ok, (insert tasteless double-entendre here...☺)

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  15. fordor41

fordor41

never use ratchet jack stands. use only pin type. still use a block of wood if I'm under the car.

TagMan and loudbang like this.
  16. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

I have a pair of the stands in question, where did you see the recall information?

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got a stand that the pawn actually broke on, don't remember what brand they are, but I know they're not HF. I still use it without being able to adjust it, it is just the right height to put under my lawnmower to take off a front tire....

18. I always have a block of wood, larger than me when I am laying flat, close by me regardless of the stands I'm using....

town sedan likes this.
  19. VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. I have 2 of them damned things holding up my project :(:(:eek::eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve got 2 sets of the HF 3 ton, their pawls latch in a lot. I put them under any car I’m working on. One set is under the rear my race car and has been all winter. I have and still use some of the 3 cut tube style I never liked and 2 sets of Walkers from the 50’s which are neat looking. I see no reason to panic.

22. I don't like to get under my car on Jack stands. Only use them for wheel or brake work. Otherwise I use my home made lift pads. 20200411_123953.jpg

town sedan and rbrewer like this.
  23. rooman

rooman

Do some of you have reading disabilities or are you just not paying attention? Please scroll up to the 6th post in this thread or just click on this and read it: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF

Roo

raven, lurker mick and pirate like this.
  24. The homemade lift pads under the T look solid in compression, Are you comfortable with the width in relation to tire size? I'm just wondering about a case where you might be underneath exerting some lateral pressure on something or component which could cause the chassis to walk sideways.....just spitballin' here, no offense intended as again, they look plenty stout in compression.

25. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Damn it. I spent some quality time under a Jeep this fall held up by a pair of those. IMG_3919.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try eBay. Do a search for Railroad Jack or house jack. My grandfather and uncle has a bunch around the garage right after the war. I haven't used them as much for automotive as a I have for machinery.

27. chopped

chopped

Probably both, I'll self ban as punishment for a week.

impala4speed, Budget36 and rbrewer like this.
  28. killbilly

killbilly

Got 4 of them under my grandsons OT jaguar xjs....called him and told him not to get under it til I can come down and check it out

29. Just to make things easier it appears that there is a recall. The info below is from the nhtsa link.

Chronology :

Ongoing quality testing on the jack stands as manufactured, as well as analysis of, customer feedback, Quality
    Assurance review of product returned to Distribution Centers, and review of online social media content raised
    a potential safety issue on January 21, 2020. HFT initiated an investigation to conduct additional internal
    quality maintenance testing on each of its SKUs of jack stands. The test results indicated that, specifically,
    certain units of the 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands manufactured by Jiaxing Golden Roc Tools Co., Ltd
    (exported by Shanghai Shen Da Import and Export Co Ltd.) (SKU 61197) did not meet the test requirements for
    assured safety. On March 13, 2020 Harbor Freight Tools decided to conduct a recall to address this issue.

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've got 4 pair (8) of the 6 ton stands from HF, 4 are under an OT Mustang project of my son's, with angle iron tack welded to the bases across and lengthways to keep in place horizontally and the inner and outer uprights welded together to maintain height settings till project is finished. This will be awhile, as he is laid up with rotator cuff surgery, and soon to have either back or hip surgery, got both to do and I'm not sure which is first. The Mustang was a rust bucket under pretty paint on top of lots of Bondo.. Floors all replaced but doghouse on front off and car needs to stay as is till it is replaced.
    The other 2 pair are what I've been using for maintenance and short term projects on my cars, trucks, and hot rods.
    I've been sticking close to home due to Covid 19 and my age and ailments, but i'm going to go to the shop and take a look for part #s on all 8.
    If you read ALL of hat recall notice you will see that as of yet no recall procedure has yet been established, just proposed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.