Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fender Stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Gomez, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Don't know if this has been posted on here before but thought it is worth passing on .Not a new idea but really handy, stole the idea from a friend who saw it somewhere else. I mounted an old Model A frame horn on my engine stand to work on my fenders, allows you to raise either end to work it or work it flat. Since the mounting surface on the rear fenders is flat I was able to drill a couple of holes in the frame and mount the rear fenders to it while I worked on them. A friend saw it and is building a bracket to hold the fenders for the Forty Ford he is working on.

Attached Files:

2. belair

belair

good steal.I mean borrow.

kidcampbell71 and Kan Kustom like this.
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Should also be adaptable for doors.

A 2 B and Kan Kustom like this.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Wow, great idea!

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, for painting or sandblasting doors......

[​IMG]Sand Man2 by TagMan, on Flickr

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good tip .:cool:

8. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Hell of a idea! Thanks!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should do a pretty good job of holding the fender in the proper shape as far as bolting to the frame goes too.
    I've got an engine stand out back that a kid made in shop class and couldn't pay for that I bought years ago That I have been looking at thinking that I need to build a bracket for it that I can fasten a door to to work on it.

10. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

When I broke down my car for repaint last year I used the cheap collapsible fender stands that you can buy everywhere. I welded them up and cross braced them to make them stronger and rigid. I then welded the alignment shims to the stands and bolted the fenders , running boards etc directly to the stands.

I found if you bolted them on in pairs it balanced the stands out and made them quite stable and worked well for leaving them on for bodywork , primer , prep and paint.
    After all the parts are installed back on the car you can snip all the pieces off and the stands can be used the way they were meant to be used. The idea of using the engine stand for holding body parts is definitely a good idea also.
    11944F53-ECB3-43AA-B915-93FDA988830E.jpeg
    B19D9FD5-D6F6-4492-AC51-E47690C7E147.jpeg
    9388B076-BA1B-41F5-8B8F-D60BB5E7B51C.png

11. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

That's a great tip. I have used my engine stand for mounting instrument panels to while wiring and assembling but never thought of using it for prepping, sandblasting and painting. I built a car rotisserie from two engine stands years ago and still have the swivel heads that could be customized too. I learn something useful every day here. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Never ceases to amaze me, the things guys come up with to get things done. Thanks for sharing.

Lloyd's paint & glass and A 2 B like this.
  13. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Engine stands are cheap and have a lot of uses . Right now I have welded up some scrap metal and made a engine run stand to get a idea of the condition of this used 283.
    F3AE9CD8-5E8A-4DE9-8311-A9ED86EEC3AC.jpeg