Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Apr 9, 2020.

1. trollst

trollst

Anyone here willing to predict whether bonneville speed week will happen? I have my doubts, I know its a ways off, but its not looking promising. I planned for this, on a personal level, it will be a big loss, hoping this bug dies back enough that some of our car events survive. Myself, I hold a small local show in early july that I haven't cancelled, but its looking like I'm gonna have to cancel, how are you guys doing?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. ...I agree with your thots,..we have an annual show scheduled for this June but I'm not seeing things being back to normal by then. It's definitely going to be a different year,
    ...I'm referring to it as the "lost Summer"

MO54Frank, chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It would just be my luck! I have a trip to Bonneville planned for this year , it will be my first time! Even bought a new motorhome to make the trip! Have several people that are supposed to travel with me. We are hoping it will still be on. We have four months to get rid of this bug. I ,for one, have been staying at home as much as possible. We have not been to Walmart in several weeks.......a record for us!

Bones

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  4. I have "penciled in" a trip to Speed Week. My intention is to make it a camping trip with mt tent cot which I have done before. Given the current predictions as to prolonged isolation from others and non-essential travel I'm thinking it won't happen. Besides that it may not be otherwise safe.

We'll see. Carry on.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bone. If you bought a new anything..... Keep it off the salt. Everything cast iron, example brakes, will rust immediately. Everything aluminum will turn to Alka-Selzer in a short time. I've lost 5 pickups to that place and never more. Rental cars only(take those back spotless) From the voice of experience since 1974.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone want to go out on a limb and predict how the salt will be this year with all the spring rain in the west? Or will just thinking about it jinx it?

tractorguy likes this.
  7. I don't see things getting back to normal this year, we didn't want to but we cancelled the all deuce run this year with no rescheduled date, we have always had the run in June and we didn't want to put anyone at risk.

I received information that NSRA has rescheduled the show in Knoxville,Tennessee from the first weekend in May to the first weekend in October, I honestly believe they are overly optimistic but pray this virus will be cleared up by then. HRP

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks, Jimmy, we plan on camping at the bend. And driving our side by side to the salt. From what I hear, we will probably get our fill in a day or two. We will stop as soon as we leave at car wash and rinse the side by side off as best we can. Our friends have a four seater, may catch a ride with them to keep it down to one vehicle, on the salt.
    If the cancel Bonneville, we will just do the other things we planned, including riding the side by sides in Colorado and Utah. Surely we can do that by August! That would be “ social distancing “ I reckon?

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

strong likelihood that Bonneville will be canceled only adds "salt" to the wound of a drastically changed world for all of us - by each of us following all of the social distancing, etc - even if your area seems not hit by the virus - the quicker that we will be able to get to whatever the new norm will be

10. We were wondering the same thing. The family and I were planning on making another trip out on the salt in August. We'll see what happens, but I'm not holding my breath. 9D472C08-43A3-467F-A900-8A6A2A1C6A47.jpeg BF034269-D926-4643-AAC6-D38DF1D2F987.jpeg 628EC14D-DF7B-47EB-BC24-D1F1B36F54E1.jpeg

11. As of right now Utah is locking the borders down. You have to register to even enter the State. I would say the chance that the salt will be bad is worse than things being locked down that late in the summer.

trollst likes this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Side by side:
    side by side.jpg

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. A while ago when you guys started talking about going I said I am in. Then I bought a 64 Plymouth in California .Went to callie picked up the car did the paper work and put the car in storage .Planned to pick it up aug 1 now I am hoping for the best s-l1600.jpg

trollst likes this.
  15. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

I made the SCTA meet in September last year got bitten by the bug. Made plans to go to the larger meet in August. I think a lot of the racers are going to pull out due to the economy. Hope we all survive to do it in 21. Be well all

trollst likes this.
  16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Per the question:
    From Face Plant this morning
    SCTA Southern California Timing Association
    34 mins · [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To All,
    The “image” of SCTA has been brought into question in a recent statement sent to the SCTA Board. Let me reassure each and every one of you that the “image” & integrity of the SCTA is first and foremost on our minds in every decision that we make. The membership has voted to have Bill Lattin & myself lead the SCTA for the last 6 years running. We have been through countless interviews and news conferences. In each of those, we have strived to maintain the image and integrity of the SCTA. This situation is no different.
    We started this endeavor just like we always do. First, we contacted the local health department to obtain our “Mass Gathering” permit. Obviously knowing we are in the midst of a pandemic; we were hoping for the best. They asked us to submit our stipulations, which we did. They informed us a short time later that our plan had been approved. Excited with that we moved on to the BLM for our use permits. They also quickly approved our plan. All outstanding news at this point.
    Knowing that because of the pandemic our entries and volunteers would be affected, we sent out a survey to our workers asking certain questions. To date we have received over 100 surveys. More than 80% have answered that they are ready, willing and able to attend and work.
    We know there are people who will choose not to attend, and we totally understand and applaud their honesty. This is not an easy choice to make and we all know that. It’s hard to say no while others are going and I know that feeling of being left behind. That is 100% not the case here. There are many reasons for not attending & they are all personal choice. Once again, we understand and applaud you for making that difficult choice.
    Please know that this has not been an easy choice to make with people wanting to go and people not wanting to go. We weigh our decision every day. Workers are ready to go, entrants are ready to go, permits are in place and courses groomed are all very positive signs to proceed. On the other hand, we have people not wanting to go, not wanting us to have the event and people thinking we are making bad decisions. Please know that we go over & over every decision one at a time. As always, we put safety at the top of our list be it for the racers, workers, volunteers and anyone else attending the event.
    If anything changes concerning the COVID-19 virus we will quickly move to do whatever is necessary up to and including cancelling the event. As was said earlier, safety is first and foremost on our minds.
    In closing, for those who decide to attend please keep in mind, it’s up to ALL of us to keep everyone safe so let’s all do our part to make this event as safe as possible. To anyone who does not feel safe, simply don’t come, we totally understand. Thank you all for your time.
    Pat McDowell
    BNI Chairman
    Bill Lattin
    SCTA President

Dean Lowe, The 39 guy and Tman like this.
  17. Thanks for posting Tony