Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pressure checking a heater core

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahshoe, Apr 9, 2020.

1. ahshoe

ahshoe

The radiator shops are closed in my area. I need my heater core pressure checked .I have the core removed and on the bench. Any suggestions, routine, air pressure amount ,etc. on how I can do this myself so I can keep moving on my project.

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

2 lbs air, Put it in a bucket of Water and check for bubbles. May be someone will chime in on the air pressure

vtx1800 likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2psi over what your radiator cap says for release pressure. Not any more than that.

You don't just want to check it for leaks, you want to make sure it won't burst under normal operating pressure, plus a little over head.

Make sure you have a good regulator. Just hook up hoses, fittings and clamps, as necessary to get it attached, and the other end plugged.

Deuces likes this.
  4. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take an old bicycle tube. Cut it about 6 inches on each side of the Schrader valve. Hook each end to an outlet put air in the Schrader valve. Put it in water if you have it out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brilliant!

Deuces and nochop like this.
  6. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Hook the core up to a garden hose using an old piece of hose and hose clamps.

7. squirrel

squirrel

that could give you way more pressure than you want.

I have an adjustable regulator I use for painting, I set it down to about 15 psi, and use a cone shaped tip air nozzle to apply pressure to the heater core, while it's submerged in the sink.

They almost always leak in a place that I won't even attempt to fix.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

One of the local tire repair shops had a bathtub they used to fill with water for checking tires.
    It was called "The Tub of Truth" :D

Deuces and nochop like this.
  9. This is what I did on my Ford, left it in the heater box. Used a broken radiator tester and rigged it up to fit the core.
    heater core.jpg

squirrel likes this.