Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Ford Galaxie disc brake conversion info wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S1B, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

What is the bore size of the master?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m not going to step on any one here selling parts or kits. It depends on whether your using a power booster or not and the pedal ratio on your car. I used a Wilwood front kit on my 56 Ford and did not want a power booster on the firewall. I used their recommendation of a 7/8” MC and prop valve. I had already replaced the rear with an 8.8 Explorer and added F-150 11” drum brakes which are the same size as the 56 only wider. They and one other supplier suggested changing the rear wheel cylinders to a smaller size, I went down a 1/16”. I could not be happier. The Wilwood uses a 4 piston calipers even a 6 if you want it. They had a smaller MC reservoir style I would probably choose if doing again and I had to add a heat deflector, I bought from Prestige Thunderbird.

Maybe expensive to some but I feel I got a very good quality kit that had been tested for a long time before I bought it. Instructions were good and tech when I asked questions before and after I bought was second to none.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Malcolm likes this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thank you very much for the info and feedback. That helped me make my decision to order the Wilwood parts.