Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Plastic body filler, insert bearings, and fox tails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Do you think that if there had been plastic filler in the early days it would've impacted the custom hobby or made it more mainstream? I mean, c'mon, i had to learn lead in trade school 35 years ago but haven't done it much since then. Kinda like diagramming a sentence in high school :rolleyes: lots has changed over time. Babbitt bearings? If they were good would we still be pouring our main bearings? I always chuckled putting an old banger together with castle nuts on the main cap bolts. Now we're crazy on our tolerances and torque specs. Just my crazy mind wondering while i eat body filler dust o_O ok it's tacked up, back to sanding :(:D

A 2 B, catdad49, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  2. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Maybe if there had been fiberglass reinforced filler. It's a lot stronger. (But a lot harder to work) A crack in filler under custom paint would pretty much dishearten the guy that did the work. I'm going with regular filler under primer for now to see what lasts.

3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Most of the body men I knew in the 50's and 60's hated plastic body filler and wouldn't lower their standards and use it. They called it smutsy. And really it took the industry along time before they really perfected it.

4. I figured the og body men weren't fans when it came along. I feel the same way about waterborne paint.

A 2 B, hotrodjack33, The37Kid and 2 others like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I was thinking about that today, as I was doing this

stretch.jpg

triumph 1, Baumi, A 2 B and 6 others like this.
  6. Father-in-law said his boss at the body shop (late 40's/early 50's) complained when he had to use lead. "Costs money you know".

A 2 B and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  7. Whatcha building that motor for mister?

A 2 B likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

it's Almost Funny, going back together, slowly but unsurely.

You're probably new enough here that you didn't get to follow the build when it happened.

9. Aw man that's cool!! New drag week car??

A 2 B likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

New two years ago.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  11. Gotcha, i seen you raced the deuce last year.

squirrel likes this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like plumbers who insisted on "good old galvanized pipe" instead of that new fangled "plastic shit"?

13. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

In the mid '60s a friend of mine worked at a place that manufactured plastic body filler. On Sundays we would bring whatever wreck we were driving that week there and do quicky body jobs. We just slathered it on (hey it was free), ground it down with disc grinders and coated it all with red oxide primer. Flipped the car during the week and had another one on deck for the next weekend. I thought that fillers were great and by using it, a great way to generate some extra cash.
    Different times. We bought cars that were already plated and insurance wasn't required.
    Today I try to use the least amount of filler possible and even though I have to pay for it now the cost doesn't even factor into it.

I still have babbit forming tools but don't have a clue how to use them.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Other than filling it all in with lead, what's the difference? All metal...right.?

Of course "bondo" led to chicken wire, etc.., probably harder to do that with lead.

A 2 B and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  15. fred farmer

fred farmer
    from earth

Keeping up with times and tools is hot rodding. If they had efi they would have used it.

16. Just the speed that goes along with plastic i guess. Sling it, hit it with a cheese file, start making dust. Them lead sleds had a lot more time and skill involved in my opinion. Labor of love ;)

A 2 B and catdad49 like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

They were welded with a torch, too....no wire feed welders back then.

dana barlow, A 2 B, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I was using filler almost 50 years ago at a very early age. Then, when you looked at a car to buy, you brought along a magnet and tapped on the car body to look for filler.
    Filler was kind of frowned on then because of the liars who would tell you that there was no filler on the car...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    A 2 B likes this.
  19. Maybe just a different form of "chicken wire".
    I seem to remember a Tex Smith how-to, where he soldered in copper window screen followed by lead to fix rust on a roadster door.

scotty t and A 2 B like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

And TIG was some guys nickname. Bob

A 2 B likes this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

I doubt you'd ever find a heliarc machine in a body shop back then

A 2 B likes this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Naw...just took more time and skill to sculpt it in...

23. Budget36

Budget36

Well, why not eye ball it?

"would have been done in the day"

;)

Saxman likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Post Flathead stuff is rare on the HAMB, never seen main studs with the Allen socket. Are you checking rod bearing clearance or what with the dial gauge? Bob

A 2 B likes this.
  25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Bolt Stretch. Way post 65, wonder how many reports the mods get

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, so just how does that setup work, more stuff is out of sight, right? Bob

Google gave me the answer and photo.:)

s-l1600.jpg

27. Painter I knew refused to use Bondo brand filler. Hated the stuff. He insisted I run out to get him 3M ''body man in a can''. Artistic type, before he rode off into the sunset, I hid the quart of Bondo in his tool box. Hope he got a chuckle out of it, wherever he landed.

A 2 B, catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I still do small areas with lead occasionally but not anything larger than my abilities. It takes a lot more time to prep, apply and work than modern plastic fillers. You need to tin the area, keep the lead in the trough at the optimal temperature and consistency and most importantly, don't apply more than you need. Then there is the safety concerns using lead. You can't sand or grind it without totally polluting the environment and filing takes a lot of skill and finesse. It is a time consuming dying art for sure.
    I have seen a Model A roof filled in with more than 20lbs of lead (amateur hack job). The term lead sled sure was fitting on these early customs.
    About 25 years ago I was on a tour in a St. Louis plant where they were using a bronze alloy spray technique but never heard any more about it. Must not have garnered any love other than in high volume production .

The37Kid likes this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Flux bleed on lead work was something I was told about, guess you really need to clean things so the paint job to follow lasts for years. Bob

A 2 B likes this.
  30. goldmountain

goldmountain

A 2 B likes this.