Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carter carb 725 SA link hole

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strait8, Apr 9, 2020.

1. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

IMG_1756.jpg IMG_1757.jpg IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1753.jpg So I have rebuilt 2 Carter carbs. Both 725 SA. I have a third spare that was not taken apart (by me). The two that I took apart had the "said" link in the lower hole. The third (untouched at least by me)had "said" link in the upper hole. According to my rebuild instructions that came with the kit the link is to go in the lower hole. When I went to set my accelerator pump adjustment and metering rod adjustments I noticed things seemed a bit tight clearance wise. That is when I opened the third carburetor to see how it looked. Again I do not know if the third carb is a good reference or not but it did run decent on the engine it came with. Does anyone know which is correct? Here are pictures!

2. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

A bit of additional information.....The manual also says to install the link in the "inner" hole (short stroke) of the pump arm. This is a bit confusing. Inner to what? The center of the carb? Or the center of the area under the dust cover. The instructions point to the lower hole in my interpretation but looking at the space clearance the upper hole seems to be a better fit for clearance and proper adjustment.

3. carbking

carbking

When your carb was new, fuel economy was important, and most driving was done around town, with lots of stop signs.

Carter (as well as Rochester and Stromberg) never needed a second accelerator pump. The amount of the fuel squirt was adjusted by varying the volume of the pump cylinder to be displaced by the pump. Different setting would vary the volume, and in town, could save significant amounts of fuel. In the 'thirties, these settings were often referred to as a "winter" setting (more fuel), and "summer" setting (less fuel).

Jon.

egads likes this.
  4. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Carb king you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge! If I understand you correctly both holes are acceptable depending on what I want to accomplish with regard to fuel economy or performance?

5. carbking

carbking

Exactly.

Jon.

6. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Thank You (again) Sir!