Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Interior Panels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willywash, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Willywash

Willywash

Has anyone used the interior panel kits sold by Mac's or another company on their Model A Coupe?
    I have channeled the body four inches over frame and know I will have to cut to fit. I have bought headliner panel kits for truck projects and they are cheap and flimsy. These are 1/8 inch thick waterproof wood. I will use a 12 gauge wall in back of body to protect from gas tank, that I'll be mounting behind seat. I really don't want to do the whole interior in metal....don't have the skills. Any suggestions or recommendations on other kits would be great.

2. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I always use that upholstery backing board works great. Make my own that way.

stillrunners and dana barlow like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Barn Hunter likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Don’t bother, ABS plastic is the answer and you can do it yourself.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/abs-interior-panel-construction.1101000/

Bugguts and vtx1800 like this.

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use ABS sheeting, water proof too. EDIT-- after I hit "post" and thought about it for a minute I thought" wasn't there a post on doing a Model A with ABS panels"? And there it was:) IMG_2823.JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

This is what I was talking about,1/8 " Backing board. 100_3351 (1).JPG 100_3350.JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have a nephew that does a lot of political signs. The kind you see in peoples front yards. his sign company buys sheets of it and cut them to size .I can get all I need .they work great for backing materials. Weather proof. I used to use wood but no more.

8. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I bought a set of Mac's trunk panels for my 1939 Ford coupe - paid about $100 - 3 large pieces of thick paperboard - with holes pre punched and oversized - not matching the orignal holes for most of them. I am not that happy with this product - in the end - I paid 100 bucks for a pattern. I plan on buying 1/8 ABS and not used the Mac's products. They do not look like they will last very long. I talked to the shop that did the expense upholstry job on my bosses 1940 Ford Coupe built by Bobby Alloway - they use ABS with metal chrsitmas tree type push clips.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Rod Doors made some decent products but I think they may no longer be in business.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  10. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Roddoors is still going strong.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  11. bangerbob

bangerbob

Flathead Dave likes this.
  12. bangerbob

bangerbob

chop job likes this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think you’ve lost your way, the rat rod forum is the other way.
    This is not the forum you’re looking for run along :D

14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I seen one done with license plates, you can imangine how that looked!

15. 5window

5window

16. bangerbob

bangerbob

Sorry, i meant to put in the pic once, i do not think it is a ratrod tapatalk_jpeg_1550177667900.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J337P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I have bought large sheets of arborite at places like Home Depot for a greatly reduced price because they have corner damage, being on the floor so long with customers manhandling them. Just ask how much they will be willing to reduce the price. Great backing material that's easy to work with. Just something to keep an eye out for, while you are there.

18. Actually bought some 40 Ford stuff from a guy this past weekend - he uses those plastic yard signs also - his wife's real estate signs with her picture graces the passenger door with another one cut differently on his side.

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

20. 5window

5window

I used a PVC product called Sintra -1/8" thick and moldable with a heat gun which was handy in the back corners of my A coupe where it transitions from curved at the top to right angles at the bottom. It also glues up well with superglue. Got it from a local sign shop- a bit over priced at $50 at the time, but one 4x8 sheet did the entire car.

21. I would thing any automotive trim shop would sell you a sheet or two of the upholstery board they use, I made the panels for my sedan long before they were removed and covered with material. HRP

[​IMG]

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Banger Bob your hot rod is far from a rat rod. It is very cool. Reminds me of my neighbors car when I was a youngster. They called them cut downs for where I was from.
    you got an old ford or whatever and you cut it down ,only keeping what was needed to make it legal.
    In Michigan where I grew up if a car was under a certain weight it didn't have to have fenders. So that was the goal to get it under the weight. There was a lot of fenders and tops of old Fords behind my dads shop. As he was the local garage.
    He worked for the highway dept. and old road signs were used everything including door panels.