Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will a 1955 Olds hardtop back seat fit1955 Chev hardtop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alaska gasser, Apr 8, 2020.

1. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

Will a 1955 Olds hardtop backseat fit a 1955 Chev hardtop. Ours came with a 2 door post backseat and they are completely different.

2. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Don’t know for sure but I would doubt it, MAYBE a Pontiac

Hnstray likes this.
  3. henry29

henry29

4. belair

belair

The Pontiac will work. But the 2 door rear bottoms are different from the 4 door rear bottoms.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I had a '56 Olds 88 front seat in a '57 Chevy once, and the bolt holes all lined up in the floor but the seat was a different design than the Chevy seat, so a set of Chevy upholstery would not fit. You might be able to make the Olds back seat fit one way or another, but they are not the same frame, so a set of pre-made upholstery is not going to fit.

Pontiac shared most of the body shell with Chevy in '55 but the frames and floor pans are different, I tried a Pontiac front seat in a Chev and the width was good but the floor mounts were totally different (was shocking that the Olds seat fit, since they share no sheetmetal at all with the Chev), I don't really know about the back seat from a Pontiac hardtop though.

Your '55 2 door sedan back seat frame is worth some money, I'd try to trade it to someone for a hardtop seat before I'd buy up some other GM seats and try to make them work.

benchseat4speed likes this.
  6. belair

belair

@Squablow (sort of) I dont think 2 door hardtop and 2 door sedan seats are different. I didnt know the Pontiacs had different floors. Would a Canadian Pontiac be an exact fit for a Chevy, while the American made ones might not work?

7. squirrel

squirrel

Pontiac rear seat almost fits a Chevy...the floor is different, the hump is not as tall, so you have to trim the notch in the bottom of the seat. (I dont know about Canadian pontiacs, but I expect they would work, since they're Chevys for the most part)

Squablow likes this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

2 door hardtops have armrests like a convertible that are kinda built-into the interior panel, so the bottom cushion is narrower and the upper cushion is notched, they're quite a bit different than the 2 door sedan back seat, which is full width because the back seat arm rests are just little bolt-on pieces.

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

This confirms what I was thinking. The width and package tray areas are the same, but with the different floorpan, I knew there was some difference in the Pontiac seat, and that makes perfect sense.

10. belair

belair

Rear arm rests are determined by Bel-Air or 210/150, not hardtop or sedan. Although most hardtop were Bel Airs and sedans were usually not. I was told the seat bottoms were different for ease of entry on the two doors, and the four doors were a bit bigger because they were easier to get in and out of and were a bit squarer on the ends.

11. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

Thanks. I had my doubts. I’ll post a wanted ad for one.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Front armrests are determined by Belair/210 but I am unaware of any 210 2 door hardtops being built with a full width back seat. I did the upholstery on my dad's '57 210 2 door hardtop and the back seat in that car had the armrests that required the narrower seat, although I can't confirm that all of them were that way.

The 4 door sedan/4 door hardtop has the rounded off back seat lower cushion for entry and exit, the 2 door sedan has a full width, squared off seat lower cushion. 2 door sedan and 4 door sedan use the same back seat upper cushion, not sure if that is true of 4 door hardtop/2 door hardtop or not.

13. belair

belair

I think the 4 doors all share the same back seat.

14. henry29

henry29

Sedan and hardtop seats are completely different regardless of what trim level the car was.