Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GMC270 Howard intake linkage question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dentisaurus, Apr 8, 2020.

1. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Being as I have a bit of time on my hands I started messing about with the Howard intake I have for my Jimmie 6. Just wondered if anyone has used one of these with the stock GMC throttle linkage? IMG_0001.JPG
    I know this was intended to use Holley rather than
    Stromberg carbs but that should only be a issue if I wanted 5 carbs. Right now I’m working with what I got. If any one has any experience with this set up I’d be grateful to hear from you.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock linkage came up between the head and intake just off center towards the rear. Unless you turn the carbs sideways your probably out of luck. A lot of work to ty the carbs together too. With enough bell cranks something could be done but most of the Howard 5-2’s were used for racing. I’m going through the same thing using 60-62 Holley’s but am lucky the car has a cable. Don’t know what your using it in but when I built a 53 Chevrolet with a V8 swap I installed a 55-57 foot feed and took out the stock stuff. I’m also going to try and make it progressive. Good luck maybe someone else has done what you need. 0FA7B69E-B574-4D64-80D1-F1C65F49631F.jpeg

3. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Thanks Jimmy 6, appreciate the input. Great looking mill, like the Thickstun valve cover!
    I'm fiddling about with bell cranks this morning (working from home = working distracted). I can cobble something together. Mostly curious to see how this was done back in the day. I'm lucky with the 97's as they are set up to be progressive already.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see you don’t have 2 blanks. I bought 2 from O’Brian Truckers because I wanted fined ones to match the rocker and side plate, they were the only ones I could find. They are pretty proud of them and could have shipped a padded envelope but weren’t so I thought they don’t give a dam about saving us $$. I think the quality was shitty. Polished but poorly. Not very good castings but mine are hidden, yours are not. Good luck as ours is in the car and may start this weekend. It’s in a 40 Chevrolet mostly on “what did you do today”

5. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

I was thinking I'd make a plate, I found some cool finned ones with a vacuum port at Vintage speed. Cheap enough so I ordered them. We'll see how that turns out. I'll check the "what did you do today thread"