Register now to get rid of these ads!

"the desert express.1951 ford coe pick up"

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by iwanaflattie, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I like em. But I’d make them slightly shorter.
    The position and size is perfect

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

3. Right on Seth! Those look great! Good to see you working on this again.

4. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Your design nailed it!

5. thanks
    thank you...its easy to cut them down...
    thanks

thank you i was in a roll for a minute,today was a good day..

thank u,,,yes my design,,,something quick and dirty using shit laying around

6. Finally buttoned up the rear..
    IMG_20200327_135920.jpg IMG_20200327_135920.jpg

7. Dumb question of the day...
    My fan is making noise I suspect bearing....
    Can I replace the bearing itself or is it pressed in?
    I need a 5 or 6 blade fan...they are about 100+ plus and I dont Wana spend loads of money right now since I got furloughed from work due to the virus...
    IMG_20200329_132957.jpg

8. the clutch part of that fan will have to be replaced, but you could reuse the fan blades itself. or you can buy a cheap after market fan and spacer and delete the clutch part. the clutch works by allowing the fan to spin free when the engine is cold to help it heat up faster, then when it warms up it locks up to pull more air.

9. I can't remove the fan because the hole is smaller than the mount with 4 holes

10. try a hammer it has to come off that way.

11. I was thinking I can cut it off now that I know it's now good

12. they put it together through that hole it has to come apart that way. may have to clean up the edges of the hole with a little sand paper first.

13. weird i swear i had 2 fans and in the process of swapping the fans from cutch,it would not come off...this one did and that fixed my noise.
    I also replaced my steering box and its so much better to drive,
    i also fixed my toe in since it was out and it looked goofy..
    it feels so much better now,,,all the steering is tight but it will need a rebuild pretty soo.n.

question.

i have an sbc with a 700r4 with 4.11 gears and 30" tal tires...
    how many rpms would i need to go 70mph???
    i hope i didnt burn the tranny with all the drive arounds i did...

14. 2300 rpm's should be just under 72mph.....if I did the math right.

15. i dont feel it going into 3rd do i need to take it to the hwy??

firstinsteele likes this.
  16. If I saw that thing= I'de call the cops! LOL! Lookin' Good!

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. Ya ..that thing is suspicious..

18. mark latham

mark latham

One of my favorite threads on the Hamb, I love this truck.

19. Thank you...that's quite a compliment

20. One day you're king of the hill the next day you get overcharged a $3 dollar flapping attached for $ 20.00 and can't make a return because of the virus,your truck won't start and you have to use the comealong to back it into the garage.
    Also the started bolt brakes and it might be the reason the starter was making grinding noises.

Attached Files:

21. Can't get a break ....
    Drained about 14 quart of mostly gas out of the engine today,,,took the carb off,replaced gaskets,,check fuel bowls and floats, everything works as it should...I lowered the pressure on the regulator..I'm gonna change the oil one more time,hook everything again...if I still get flooded...I will park it till I have enough money to swap a reliable drivetrain..
    4 or 5 years?

22. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

23. Yup swapping a drive train will certainly be the answer for a flooding issue that isn’t caused by the drive train...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

firstinsteele likes this.
  24. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Rather than a swap, sell it to me!

25. I been thinking about it...this engine/trans issues have been breaking me so slowly...

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Fuel pump issue perhaps?

27. mark latham

mark latham

I've been thinking about your gas in the crankcase issue and went back through the thread and can't find if you ever said what your fuel pressure is set at. I know you have an electric pump, you got a 15 lb. gage and you've tried 2 different carbs, the float is set correctly and the needle and seat are clean and not leaking by. Does your pump and regulator recirc fuel back to the tank or does it deadhead at the carb? Either way, with the truck running you only need about 6 or 7 psi to the carb at idle. Does it have to crank over a bit before it starts after its been sitting awhile? Another possibility could be if your running way rich. What do your plugs look like? If your carbs not leaking, your pressure is right, and with an electric pump rather than mechanical, the only other way for the fuel to get in the crankcase is while running. This would show up as either black (but not oily) plugs, or plugs that look washed. If you really want to get the carb dialed in you could invest in an o2 sensor and AFR gauge (kind of overkill) but just reading the plugs should get you in the ball park. If I had to guess what's going on I would guess your fuel pressure is too high or a needle and seat are leaking by and draining the bowl into the engine every time you shut it off. This might not be noticeable on the bench but put a bunch of pressure behind it and its either going to push the fuel through the needle and seat or out through the vent. Maybe try running it a few minutes, remove the air cleaner, shut it off, open the butterfly's and watch down the carb to see if you can see fuel trickling into the intake.

28. hi...last time I checked I had the pressure set at 6psi...I just lowered it but I dont know how much to...I will try to bench test the carb tomorrow...thanks/

29. Hey gang.
    I burned my mini starter.
    I picked a new one for 50.00 but it only has 3 posts instead of 4...
    Can I still use it?

IMG_20200408_182121.jpg IMG_20200408_182125.jpg IMG_20200408_181510.jpg

30. what is the purple and black wires hooked to?