Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hotrods with Fixed Rear Fenders & Cycle/Cycle Style Fronts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Epic road trip in any open car and a real testimony to the reliability of a ford hotrod.:)

Phil

Stogy and Shutter Speed like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

unnamed (5).jpg

:rolleyes:...Raw Ignorant Hotrod...a Street Roadster Class of Race which meant it had to be street legal by the rules...giving me that vision of sitting at an intersection and having this pull up beside...I would be awestruck...all good

Image from Hamber @George Klass's collection...

http://georgeklass.net/st-roadsters.html

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    AHotRod, 1947knuck, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  3. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Would you have any detail picks of the mount to the Backing Plates and perhaps the brace to fender detail...I remember seeing them in a box in the the Thread on Stan Back...

"From what I saw you had them on most of the time...The salt was minus fronts but did you run them off prior to Bonneville? Sorry, I forgot to ask if so what was the reason?"

The brackets came with the car 58 years ago – I didn't pay much attention to them except painting them different colors thru the years. They were chromed already and held up well. They were made from 5/8"(?) steel tubes, flattened on both ends and bolted under the fenders and to the backing plates.

I never ran on the street or the drags without them. They were required by NHRA for Street Roadster class. I ran it once and a while, but it was not competitive. We used it a couple of times to push start our 23 T Gas Roadster. The SCTA is different – you can't run them in Street Roadster class. At least not the cycle style. I'd imagine you could run the stockers, but I'd guess they would be a disadvantage. You must run rear fenders, but they can be slightly modified.

town sedan and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Thank You @Stan Back this information helps those wanting traditional material options for making these front and many times rear fenders.

The tubeing must have been of a black pipe type wall thickness for strength but perhaps I'm incorrect as weight is many times critical to winning the race even though in the Street based Hotrod it was many times Garage based fun with less knowledge of that understanding.

5. I gave it try on my original post to this thread, I think that's what you meant. Curt R

Stogy likes this.
  6. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one escaped the shop before the front cycle fenders got done, but that was the plan. The 37 day build beater.
    ABE.jpg

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly...That is great Curt as it provides an easy gateway to another excellent thread that I might not have found otherwise... I mean if no one has added to that thread in a while the drift into the depth of pages happens and it gets lost...

You fellas have an excellent Thread there...and your post here helped me find it...;)

8. Thanks, I did it on your half fendered thread also. The push to get the hot rod ready for the expected event season has slowed, I can take time to try and improve my posting skills. Keep up the good work. Curt R

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beater...good to see you...I was unaware you built that...Love it!!!

Thanks for sharing this pic...and chiming in with the story too.

Did you have a build Thread? If yes paste the link so anyone interested can find it...;)

Of Note...I started another Thread recently on just this type of Hotrod...'Half Fendered Hotrods'

Similar but at the same time Different...as I felt neither was given a Place.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  10. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No build thread on it. It was basically a dare to try to get a beater built in a short time frame. After this pic it got lights and made into a little cruiser hot rod and lives over by Chicago now. Scott took it to the Chicago WoW show and got best traditional hot rod and 1st place in the traditional hot rod class. He took the fenders and aprons off for a while. It was built from spare parts I had on hand in 37 days of nights and weekends. 93E34224-A800-430C-BA40-EC2FA94B65B2.jpeg

EVL401, 1947knuck, town sedan and 3 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/half-fendered-hotrods.1189042/

:rolleyes:...This is the Cousin to this thread at the link above...I actually posted the rear fender only version you built in it and gave you credit since I just found out you built it.

I'm glad it found a good caretaker...

Both these threads are two things one being Inspirational and two being Historically Educational...

12. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2B1301C9-951E-4278-8CAC-928A7C7AFB51.jpeg F9DDB716-0342-4EE6-AFEA-159DD03BAA49.jpeg 2050CCFE-C940-4FC4-863E-20BE346DB31B.jpeg A few pictures I have saved for inspiration of fenders. Not all cycle fenders upfront I know so not exactly appropriate for this thread. But some of these ideas will be used very soon. If I ever get this 63 Ford done.

1947knuck, Lil32, town sedan and 4 others like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1947knuck, brEad, A Boner and 6 others like this.
  14. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

15. Here are a couple more shots of the Joe Mack Special I took last year at Charlotte Hall, MD.

DSC00613.JPG DSC00611.JPG

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

b708554b718c0ec3a6932aca53a669ac.jpg

:rolleyes:...get the plates on and enjoy...

Remember this is not so much about the fenders...it's about The Look that can only be when these features are applied and it goes way back...

Thanks to all that continue to share their uniquely fendered Hotrods...

They are part of the Big Picture I like to say...;)

EVL401, 1947knuck, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8c7b75068e2249db5b5c95b053293826.jpg

:rolleyes:...One of Hotrod's most Iconic Shots... with so many things to appreciate...

The Hotrod...The Bond of Father and Son, The Dream and what a Cool Shop...

Stogy's supplying the Dreaming by the way...:D

This is the Coupe prior to the subtle flames that graced it in its TV and Hotrod Cover Appearances shared by @Speed Gems earlier in the Thread...

1947knuck, Lil32, town sedan and 5 others like this.
  18. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Sometime, I would like to have a copy of the pic you have. I didn't have a camera back in the old says so most of the pics I have came from other people..
    THANKS

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to have a look right now...fingers crossed it's your ride...stay tuned...;)

20. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

b708554b718c0ec3a6932aca53a669ac.jpg
    Notice how the fender moulding on the back is continued around the front-side bottom – Kool!

EVL401, 1947knuck, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate to let down...:(...I am Sorry

Obviously the wrong Hotrod but perhaps you know of this as it looks to be doing a form of racing similar to what you were in involved in...I seriously love this dressed down look in Hotrod. That Jimmy Summers built unusual Nosed 32 also raced in Road racing as well did it not?

Heres what I can do...I snoop the net in search of things that mean thing to us all here...I will take your info and search as best I can for relevant material specifically that 32 Roadster Correct?

SCCA Racing...Stands for Sports Car Club of America Racing? Years of engagement? Location...this will help me in search...;)

33Roadster.JPG

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    1947knuck, Lil32, town sedan and 3 others like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stan I'm an Artist/Photoshop Artist and I am looking at that pic a lot closer now it has really choppy look on closer inspection...I pick images at random and sometimes stuff isn't as it appears...that is to say I think I right clic saved a manipulated image and it sure looks not very well done at that but thanks for pointing out the bead...which could be added and if styling elements are gleaned that's a bonus...But this is photo manipulation it seems...

Possibly it is a real Hotrod and may even be all the correct elements but the restoration of the pic was not well executed...Look around the Cowl edge, the grille shell almost grass looks foggy...dunno

I do personally post reworks and I call them inspirations but you could easily see how history could get skewed...

The other day I posted a 34 Custom Coupe I've revered for many years and was told it was a rework that doesn't exist...:eek:...but again yes a bead on the edge of a bobbed fender is nice...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I don't recognize the 37C. It must have been in a local race in that pic because it was not an SCCA event. The front fenders are not faired into the frame or body.

I was doing the SCCA thing from 54 to 58 in the NW region only.

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That helps...Track names specific or were the on actual roads?

https://www.cliffreuter.com/SCCARaceResults1951-1962Etceterini.htm

:rolleyes:...This site has scans and pics...I didn't thoroughly explore but perhaps a start...

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1947knuck and town sedan like this.
  27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It was mostly airports back then except for SIR an PIR.
    Arlington, Shelton, Abbotsford, Maryhill, Fort Lawton and a couple others I can't remember the names of.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's Great Info Pete, no guarantees but you never know...You're one of those Hambers here that have certainly done the walk...that 32 is beyond cool and then theres that Bonneville stuff...Stay safe and thanks always for sharing...;)

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_qqq3603a.jpg

car4.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ogenized-hotrods.1002926/page-6#post-11314701

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-59#post-12500491

:rolleyes:...The Coffee Grinder 'A' Hotrod

Very Nice indeed....

Gerald Laing a British artist who moved to the US many moons ago, spent quite some time embracing the Culture and Hotrod, then decided to return to his homeland with the Coffee Grinder Hotrod in tow which unquestionably was a work of Art...;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    EVL401, 1947knuck, town sedan and 5 others like this.