Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49-51 Merc door window garnish chop help

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ZZ Top Chop, Apr 5, 2020.

1. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

First thing, I've spent a long time searching for this on the HAMB already. The chop on my Merc as a mild b-pillar slant. I'm looking for some advice and or pictures on where to make my cuts especially on the corners. There are a couple of good articles just not for slanted b-pillars. Thanks

2. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Try slddnmatt here on the HAMB. He could probably help you out.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  4. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thank you
    Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. japchris

japchris
    from England

6. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

That will definitely help when I get to the quarters. Thank you! Love ur thread btw,, ray gun third brake light, cats, etc. Do u pie cut your Corvette grille or is that stock?

7. japchris

japchris
    from England

Yes, I put an extra piece in the centre of the grille and pie cut to have it follow the curve of the Merc opening.
    It does make the outer most teeth want to point outwards, so have to tweak them a bit.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

On the fronts try and cut the B pillar part out with the radius of the horizontal part, rotate to correct the angle and tack back together. Trim the top section where the radius match the door and fill in with what your need. The rears you pretty much need to cut up which every way your think is best. Use your radius as much as you can but sometimes you have to get creative.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  9. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Appreciate your help. Thanks Matt

10. Wish I knew how to put chalk marks on your photos. I tend to do things totally different than others. I hate making a lot of work out of a small job. Myself, on the door trim front corner. You just need to make a tighter radi so just cut on the hip of the molding where the flat part against the upholstery panel begins to roll over to the Glass and up to where you cut the top piece off and tighten up the corner. Then on the flat surface from the cut on the hip go from the center of that radi out to the edge with a cut just to the seam of the door top frame but not all the way off. Lay the two parts on the correct plane of the Door itself and weld it up. You will end up with a light step on the raw edge of miss alignment due to the length change of the inner and outter legs going up the A post of the molding. Same basic treatment of the B post but not all the way up to the cut line. I don't care for all the extra work of a dozen slices to make a corner. To much hand work to get a good finish. Ya, wish I had photos of me doing one of these to help with the vision. Last time I did a Merc chop was before digital stuff and I just never took many photos.
    The photo of the quarter molding, yikes! My hat's off to you but I do things totally different. Anything can be hidden under paint but I'd rather send them off to Chrome.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Cardboard templates take the guess work out of pie cutting, consistent and uniform from side to side.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  12. Multiple Pie cuts should be left for Pie's.

ZZ Top Chop and mgtstumpy like this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not that way, determine where relief cut needs to be made prior to cutting. Measure twice, cut once.;)

14. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thank you for the advise, appreciate it

15. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thanks

16. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I've seen it done also where u cut the b-pillar corner out completely then cut to fit once the corner is welded back together. I think that was what Matt was eluding to. 20200407_122522.jpeg

17. alchemy

alchemy

The point of the piecut should match the bend point on the door. We can't see if your blue tape lines up with that point on the door.

Personally I'd leave all the flat side of the lower portion in place and only remove the curve up to where it rolls around to the flat face. Doing this will let that bead in te face remain nice and straight. When you get that upright B pillar tilted over, the missing curved area will be smaller and tighter. You can bend the cutout curved steel over some pipe and re-fit it.

18. goldenidolcustoms

goldenidolcustoms
    from Pa.

Here is a pic of where to cut. First cut the moulding in half since you haft to shorten the moulding to fit.That way your only dealing with half the moulding.I would cut it in the middle.If you do this right you can uiltlize the orignal screw holes.Cut the corner above the flat area and pie cut to the left and right of the center of the curve and weld together

Attached Files:

19. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Looks easy enough, that a Monterey window garnish?

20. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Will do, thanks

21. goldenidolcustoms

goldenidolcustoms
    from Pa.

Yes it is.They are chrome plated brass
    Thanks'Jack

22. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Been working on the window garnishes today, embarrassed to say how long it took me to get this far. Anyway. I have the corners close, but when I put the trim to the window, its hitting the window frame. So my question is how do I make this work? Is this suppose to wrap around the window track?

23. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I should say it's hitting the vertical part of the window track. For some reason I can't post pics right now

24. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

25. I'm not exactly following you. Did you install a U channel in the door for the glass? They didn't do that in the Merc's. It was single wiskers mounted on the edge of the molding to go against the glass.

26. Should have waited for you to post photos. What you have there is Wrong. To much stuff.

27. I'll go get you some photos of Factory stuff.

28. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I got the Merc finished on the outside. Windows were already installed. There's an aftermarket gasket in the window track. See pic. Crap
    1586714135796~2.jpeg

29. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

So it's basically, universal window gasket with felt material glue over the top.

30. Factory stuff is like on your door. Stapled in place single wisker. On the door itself rubber up B side and across the top. Then a Wisker fastened to the molding itself. That's all there is above the lower edge of opening. The U channel ends at the opening on the B side of the door, not extending into the opening.

Attached Files: