Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri-Five Gassers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CDN34Pickup, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Practicality in a street car, what a concept!

Sent from my KFSUWI using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Mr. Sinister and loudbang like this.
  3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I gotta ask. How does this fan set up work? Is there an electric motor somewhere in there that hooks up to the flex fan? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it works like a pinwheel... The faster you go, the faster it spins! Lol!

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Lol now that’s funny!

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. I don't know what's up with my profile, I've had other people say it's locked and they can't view it. Probably explains why you can't PM me.

Edit: Try again, apparently all my privacy stuff was unchecked.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  7. Shit sakes you guys got into my head and now I've ordered new fronts. Just going to go with a torq thrust up front as well, in 4.5". Goddamn place is bad for my wallet!!

8. loudbang

loudbang

Well that sucks. :( If YOU like them LEAVE them on.

9. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I agree. I think it looks great as is. I wouldn’t change a thing, beautiful car. [​IMG]

H.A.M.B.

10. Squablow

Squablow

I had not commented earlier but I think you are making a great decision there. With the many pages of period pictures in this thread you can really see that your new wheels are going to give the car more of the historically accurate look you're going for.

Bowtie Coupe and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Stick around and it gets worse. I buy stuff all the time that I never knew I needed. Flatheads, early Cadillac engines, early for chassis, Pontiac stuff etc etc! Lol

12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I agree man! Your car is pretty darn awesome and you were able to nail the look is every other area. There are some cars that are pretty far off from actually looking like a “tribute” gasser but yours has everything else imho. Go for it.
    As for the other wheels. You need not sell them. You can build a whole other car for them......not that I have ever built a whole car around just one part.

13. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I bought a NOS hood molding to replace a dinged one on my Plymouth, since it made the extension moldings look bad I bought NOS there too, the. The headlight surrounds were replaced by NOS which eventually turned into a ground up restoration with all NOS components and all mechanical rebuild. Slope got slippery pretty quickly

H.A.M.B.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  14. Are you buying D spokes???

loudbang and Mr. Sinister like this.
  15. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Never, EVER, change your car and your likes for the opinions and comments of some others. Not that the other guys opinions have no value, they do... but its your car.
    Just an opinion, not trying to start anything.

16. Yeah I need them to clear the calipers. Sacrifice I have to make. I could run straight spoke torq thrusts with spacers I suppose, but my inner 4x4 guy avoids those things.

Ultimately the criticisms are right. I want it to look as period as possible (with some exceptions like the brakes) and the wheels aren’t cutting it. I’ve done what I’ve done to the car because the few gasser style cars in my area are closer to street freaks than actual gassers. They’re still super cool but I felt the true to historical form cars aren’t represented around here. I know most cruise night guys won’t get it and I’m sure I’ll get plenty of “gAsSeRs NeEd StRaIgHt AxLeS!!” comments from the same, but I come here and post pics of the car because I want to do what’s right according to period cars wherever I can. Not everybody will dig it and I’m ok with that. I’m not here to please anyone, but the comments on the wheels made me reconsider. For what it’s worth I ran torq thrusts on all 4 corners for years on this car, so I’m not sacrificing my tastes at all.

Sorry if this thread has turned into my build thread recently, but I do appreciate the input. Everyone has been very respectful and that’s appreciated.

17. My straight spoke Torque Thrust clear my disc brakes just so ya know..15x5..

Attached Files:

18. Sorry....I had to do it... 587D80BC-78B4-4456-8EE3-A93B653C4404.jpeg

Butch M, 55Belairman, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Again, I dig the car and if I can spend your money my suggestion as to REALLY looking right for the period is to save your money (we can suffer for a while longer) and find a set of 60's issue Americans, specifically the "D" style to clear your disc brakes.
    I know magnesium versions have gotten crazy $$$ but they were made in aluminum also.
    I know the current generation Americans are attractive due to the price and they really are nicely made but there's just something about the spoke texture and paint that misses the mark as to "the look".
    I know you aren't trying to nail the full gasser look but Shakey Puddin is the gold standard in my opinion, these are called the Lemans version Americans, again, I'm only spending your money, see it's easy!

1617072-801a447a24084eb2380d2c2d95728999.jpg

Butch M, enloe, RustyBullet and 3 others like this.
  20. Strangely enough, I agree here. Sometimes they're not half bad on an open ,fenderless rod. I think what bothers me the most is they are a contraption from about 08-09 , that were marketed to cash in on the re-emerging gasser fad..when in reality, they had no relevance at all.
    And for the guys who didn't know that, that's why this site's here.:)

31hotrodguy and rooman like this.
  21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Original series “D” spoke: CF3D6C6E-DE69-4F81-9766-3587CA0392D5.jpeg 9F1367D4-A23D-47E6-8F91-EBC79A55C2FC.jpeg

22. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

The Appliance Torque Thrust look a likes from the period clear disc brake calipers. Even Corvette calipers. The face sides are pretty much identical to Americans and they are the same kind of quality . I know from personal knowledge as I have a spare set I've used for rollers on disc brake cars.

23. I've been considering painting the spokes gold to go with the gold accents on the car.......

Sent from my KFSUWI using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Deuces

Deuces

Please do "NOT" buy the uni-lug mags!!!!
    You can thank me later.... ;)

loudbang likes this.
  25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Other than the fact that I curse mine every time I take them on an off on my old 5 spokes they are great......lol

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  26. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

Go magnesium ,real deal . I think I have a set for sale

27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I know what real non mag Americans 5 spokes go for. I can only imagine what real magnesium ones cost!

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  28. wvenfield

wvenfield

Lots of people have them for sale. That's not the problem, paying for them is. LOL

loudbang, 31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  29. rooman

rooman

And not really a good idea to run 50 year old magnesium wheels on the street unless you get them crack tested (zyglo or whatever the current process is).

Roo