Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dual wiper setup for early 30's cabs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iceteacharlie, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Has anyone fabbed up a dual wiper setup for late 20's/early 30's truck cab? Overhead mounting that is. I've started thinking about possible donor cars lately but thought I'd check in here.

New Port Engineering has that for $420 and their stuff is super. (I have one in my '58.) For this build I'm trying to stay lower dollar if at all possible but want it to be a clean modification.

Thanks

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On my 32 Ford Pickup I used the dual wiper system from Newport Engineering. It's a simple system that has the motor mounted in the middle with arm going to each side. Thye move in sequence and park clear to the top of the frame. I think if you were crafty you could do something simular????

3. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Try looking at a 12 volt Volkswagan beetle setup.....It even comes with a mounting plate......Google is your friend......

4. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I used a VW Beetle system in my 37 sedan. I wasn't going to mention it because I don't know if it would clear an early pickup header. I added a bell crank to one side so the arms meet at center when running and park outside.

5. dudley32

dudley32

any pictures??...thanks

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Almost every car other than the bug have wiper transmissions that are just too bulky to fit above the windshield.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. I believe MGA and/or other Brit cars had a low mount motor under the dash and a cable system to the wiper mechanisms up top.

8. nobby

nobby

they are a lucas unit fittied to lots of things old mini , mgb, land rover etc etc
    the 'inner wire' is called a wiper motor rack drive cable and is available at 60 inches long
    the outer part is called a 'BUNDY' tube
    the driven parts are called 'wheel boxes'
    you 'not simply'
    mount the wheel boxes , measure between them and cut the first bundy tube - its steel, but pipe slice and flare with your brake flare tool - it has to be exact. -
    you then have to run the drive rack up without the 1st bundy , through the second, so 2-3 inches sticks out, mark on the cable , and make the next tube
    getting it up and over in a 37 is really fiddly, and ONLY JUST FITS
    but the wiper motor is down low and out the way and you then don't have a motor buzzing above your head
    car builder solutions...
    https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/searc...=0&vid=0&q=wiper&sid=false&isc=true&orderBy=0

you can get
    1. differing lengths of wiper blade - stainless steel
    2. adjustable stainless park left or right wiper arms
    3. chrome trim to spindle
    4. different spindle lengths to wheel boxes - i.e. IF going through a compounded curve
    5. max length drive cable 60''
    6. lots of choice on sweep angle
    7. 2 speed wipers
    8. park

don't mount the motor so you can't get the loom plug on/off easily!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

No. Sorry. It's all behind an upholstered header that's not easily removed.

10. Thanks all! Enjoy the extra time in the garage/shop!