Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rumble seat or trunk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 5, 2020.

1. { A Trunk } The only way that I would ever let a family member ride in a rumble seat would be in a parade. With all the distracted drivers out there, and with todays speeds also. A rumble seat was for use in the 1930's. 137.jpg But not such a good idea for today, and not in a Hot Rod. You would NOT wanna be back there when I'm drive'n for sure! lol Ron......

3W JOHN, Blues4U and nochop like this.
  2. Dana
    I have always liked riding in a rumble seat. I am with you on that point.

That said, I have never owned a rumble seat car and given my idea of being able to carry some junk in the truck I am probably going to lean toward trunk over rumble seat.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

My '29 A Coupe has a rumble seat and my '29 A Roadster (sold it) had a rumble seat. I have a '28 A Tudor.
    To me it comes down to use.
    So, no I don't like taking anyone for a cruise/tour in the rumble for safety reasons but really, how safe is a Model A anyway?.
    Adults that understand how to ride in one not too bad but kids uh uh.
    How many times did I use the rumble for transporting people? Hmmmm, just about zero. For a little ride up and down my street so folks could say they have ridden in one, plenty.
    It doesn't take much to remove the cushions to gain carrying space.
    I guess I'm torn between the two. I like them both.

3W JOHN and nochop like this.
  4. HRP, I hate rumble seats. That was probably the first thing I changed on my 32 coupe when I got it home. We have a sayin' in the South...."Useless as tits on a boar hog".

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and nochop like this.
  5. goldmountain

goldmountain

About the only time I liked a rumble seat was in Walt Disney's movie, " The Shaggy Dog". The car is a '26 T roadster with the only T rumble seat I have ever seen. Or was it Anette Funicello that was the attraction?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Our twin girls loved riding in the rumble seat of the 39 convertible but I was always unease with them being back there, I never let them ride in the rumble seat on the interstate or around town, only at car shows or around the neighborhood, lets face it hot rods are not the safest cars on the road but being in a accident riding in a rumble seat could be like a ejection seat in a fighter jet. HRP

3W JOHN, nochop and dana barlow like this.
  7. Funny, in South Carolina we have one very similar, " Useless as tit's on a bowling ball" HRP

3W JOHN and nochop like this.
  8. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I built my 34 coupe in the late 70's early 80's. I needed lid hinges & a rumble seat was the choice. I liked it for many years, few have ridden in it tho'. Now, 40 years later a trunk sounds like a better choice.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and nochop like this.
  9. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I have a few coupes, all with trunks. I’m switching one of them to a rumble. I remember riding in a rumble as a kid and thought it was a blast. Hopefully I can get one set up so my kids can experience it.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

rumble seats were o.k. when the average american male was 5'8" tall and wore size 6 shoes!

11. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My model a came to me as rumble seat car, after putting in my 5" Z in the back I don't think I could put it back. The stock seat cushion is about 6" deep so I might get away with a thin pad but I don't think it will be worth it. When I tackle the body work clean up I will probably switch the deck lid around.

Phil

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Even though my roadster project is channelled to the point no one could sit back there I still set it up with a rumble lid. Most of it is filled with gas tank but I still like the look of the rumble seat lid with a handle on it. Just me.

Attached Files:

13. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have grandkids and a wife who would be very sad if I got rid of the rumble seat. IMG_4028.jpg

14. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I was helping my Dad early one morning , setup his 31 Roadster in the Carson Mall for a small Car show inside . When a Little gray haired Lady with a Walker stood and watched us as we were wiping it down , cleaning as necessary . My Dad stopped what he was doing and asked Her if the car brought back memories , The only thing She said was " Oh if that Rumble Seat could talk "
    IMG_0954.JPG

15. I had a uncle that had a 39 Ford Convertible, he and his best friend double dated in that car a lot, he would get his friend to drive while he and his girl friend fooled around in the rumble seat. :rolleyes: HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  16. They don't call mine "2 passenger coupes" for nuthin'.... Picture 28531.jpg post-37352-143139298196.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd rather have a coupe with a trunk then a 2 door with a back seat. Had a 32 Ford Vicky that necessitated all your stuff to be on the back seat when on a road trip. Too much of a PITA humping chairs, bags, cooler, etc over ther front seats. Definitely not worth it to me. No way you could ever take anyone with you. Never wanted to pull a tag along trailer thats another PITA.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  18. I still have my Mullins trailer in the barn should I need to take additional people in my Deuce sedan. our grown children don't travel with us and if our grandchildren wan't to go out with us we usually take the wagon. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  19. dwollam

dwollam

My '31 A coupe has a rumble seat. I was going to just make a thin pad for it because of the stock seat taking up all the storage room. I ended up buying a new front and rumble seat from a fella doing a channeled car and didn't want the stock seats. Deal I couldn't turn down. Yep, sometimes I take the rear seat out for a long driving/camping trip and even put a luggage rack on the back. Then it comes off after the trip.

Dave

20. To me the trunk works so much better.

[​IMG]

Verses the rumble seat. HRP

[​IMG]

3W JOHN, dwollam and Dave Mc like this.
  21. LOOKIN GOOD DANNY

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Trunk, for sure. Rumble seats look cool but getting in and out is another thing.

23. You bet, trying to heave a big ice chest full of drinks and a 10 lb bag of ice up and over the side of the body is asking for a big scratch. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Not only that... pinupcopy-1.jpg

3W JOHN, TagMan, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  25. adam401

adam401

I dont have a rumble seat and where my trunk is supposed to be is filled with a gas tank so I guess I have neither. Dammit.

Luckily none of my cars ever run well enough for long trips so I'll be ok

26. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

My T Roadster has a rumble seat which we used a lot when we first got it going. After I got the 40 Pontiac running not so much. The seat base is my home made fuel tank that holds 15.5 gals. The base flips up to fill it. We have a far amount of room on the foot well if it is not occupied. Gary:) img804.jpg img798.jpg

27. CobraJoe

CobraJoe

Trunk...I think a rumble seat looks cool though, but that's about it.

[​IMG]

28. Trunk. I converted my cabriolet rumble seat to a trunk with no regrets. If you did nothing with your car but put it in parades, then a rumble seat might be right for you.

CobraJoe, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. 392

I’ve never had either one but I’d pick trunk. Personally a Tudor fits my bill.

30. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Riding in my grandpas Model A I though it was cool to ride in the rumble seat until we got caught in a storm on the way home.me and my cousin almost drowned riding the back.
    that was the last time I rode in one.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.