Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford F-1 fan shroud problem.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big AL Neenyo, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

Hello, I am having an issue with my '50 F-1 panel. I recently replaced the water pumps on the 8BA, and am having a problem getting the fan to line up in the shroud.
    According to all I have read, I have the correct belts, gen./water pump drive belt is;
    5/8'' x 54 3/4" and the fan drive belt is 13/16" x 371/8"
    When installed the gen./water pump belt is maxed out, no room for adjustment. The fan drive belt doesn't have much more and not enough adjustment to allow the fan to be centered in the shroud.
    The only thing I cam figure out, is that I need both belts to be an inch longer? If I didn't have the shroud I can make it work. I don't like not having the shroud.

2. Slopok

Slopok

I don't believe they originally used a shroud did they???

Big AL Neenyo likes this.
  3. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

That's a good question, I don't know, I assumed they did, there was a shroud in the pile of parts that came with the truck. Interesting, maybe if the shroud is aftermarket, then maybe that explains it, why these belts won't let line up in the shroud.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

So why don't you get longer belts?

5. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

Goldmountain, sorry, I have been away, I have been trying to find a longer belt for the fan belt, I found a longer belt for the gen. and water pump belt. The fan belt (stock) is listed as 13/16" x 37 1/8" I need to get it an inch longer, but so far I have been unable to locate one anywhere.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I do believe the shroud was most common on the bigger trucks. F-7 and F-8s “Big Jobs” used the Lincoln engine. Technically F-2s-F-5s should fit. The six cylinder shroud.....One would assume it would “fit” but you know Ford.

Another place to look is the front mounts, are they correct? Are the biscuits “tired”?

Is the radiator in the right location?

Was all this set up before or did the shroud come from a pile of parts?

Do still have the old belt?

If this is a “ custom” application you may be looking for equipment belts....mowers, tractors and industrial stuff. If you have the old belt you might can match it.

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Those belt sizes do not sound right. F1s “should” use big “wide” belts only. Do you have 8BA stuff mixed with 8RT stuff. In other words do you have car stuff mixed with truck stuff?

8. 52lomofo

52lomofo

my 52 merc m1 pickup has one on it

9. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Sometimes I keep my "whatever works" approach to myself because I understand the "correct" approach. (especially on a flathead)
    I just thought I'd throw this out there. If you can't find a belt, is it possible to juggle the pulley sizes?

10. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

F-ONE, thank you for input. I am finding out that the shrouds were not common place on the F-1's. Years ago, I had an '50 F-1 that had a 6 cylinder, it had a shroud. I didn't like not having that shroud in this truck before I changed the water pumps, the biscuits are new, and in good shape, the radiator is located correctly, as far as I can see. LOL, and the shroud was in a pile of parts, the engine and a buttload of parts were all in the back of the truck when I bought it. I think I will abandon the shroud for right now.

11. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

Yes these are the wide pulleys (5/8's) According to what I have read, the 13/16's belt width on the fan belt is correct. The Gen./ water pump belt width is 5/8's. I think I might look to see if I can find a 5/8's belt width in a 38 inch length.

12. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

I found a 3/8 x 38 inch belt and a 5/8 x 55 inch belt, this allowed me to center the fan in the shroud, I think one more inch in length and it will be a better fit. I found them on Amazon, after searching Ag sites and such.

firstinsteele likes this.
  13. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

20200404_171352 water marked.jpg 20200404_175622 water marked.jpg I found belts that I needed to allow me to center the fan in the shroud, 5/8's x 38 for the fan belt, and 5/8's x 55 for gen./water pumps. I think, one more inch bigger, might work even better. This is what the shroud looks like, I notice it channels the air over the engine at idle nicely.

14. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

BoogittyShoe, I took your approach to it, I had that notion one of the times I was scratching my head. Your comment reinforced that notion, thank you. I was finally able to hunt down the belts in the lengths I needed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  15. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I appreciate your appreciation Big Al. I get to put a belt under a lawn tractor.

16. sunbeam

sunbeam