Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '50 Ford 8BA question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big AL Neenyo, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

I have a '50 Ford Tudor sedan. I noticed something that has me baffled. I noticed that the two water pumps do not use the same belt to drive them.
    The passenger side pump drives with the fan, off of the front pulley on the combo pulley on the crank. The driver side pump drives with the generator, off of the rear pulley on the crank. I have never seen this before, I am pretty new to these engines, but I have never seen this sort of belt configuration, the pump's shafts are different lengths to facilitate this set up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. BJR

BJR

So why is this a problem?

3. flatout51

flatout51

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

5. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

No' it's not a problem, it;s just that all of the 8BA's and 8 RT's I have ever seen .. used one belt for the Gen./water pumps, and one belt for the fan.

6. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

19Fordy, thank you for that link. This is the first I have run across this system, I thought it was done by someone making two different types of water pumps work on this engine. My '50 panel doesn't have this offset pattern with the water pump shafts/pulleys. I haven't seen this on any of the trucks, is it a car thing?

kadillackid likes this.
  7. My Fiddy has the same belt drive as you describe.
    Pretty sure that's the way 49 & 50 8BA's came.

Big AL Neenyo likes this.
  8. nobby

nobby

Hello,
    the thick belts are 5/8ths ''
    thin belts 3/8's
    you can only run them with the front cover and 8ba distributor
    8ba thin pulley
    8ba and 8cm truck pumps never had thin belts
    mercury 8ba pumps had the engine mount foot in them, thin belts but the mounting ear is higher up
    car pumps have thin pulleys but car mountsings -swap pulleys

Big AL Neenyo, ffr1222k and 62rebel like this.
  9. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Maybe Henry's engineers didn't want both water pumps to fail when a belt broke

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '48-'53 8BA/8RT trucks used a single wide 5/8" belt for both pumps and generator, along with '49 Ford and Mercury 8BA/8CM cars. In 1950 Ford and Mercury cars switched to the two narrow 3/8" belts with offset pumps to the end in '53 (USA). The 2 truck style pumps and 4 car style pumps can be interchanged on all blocks, and over the years that is what happened in many cases.

Big AL Neenyo and town sedan like this.
  11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

NOBBY : Could you please separate your post to "unconfuse" the rest of us as to WTH you are "mixing in" with the discussion of Ford v-belts? Yes, it looks interesting, & probably should have a thread of it's own, just not added on to this one. Thanks

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to run one thin belt, I have a right side 8BA water pump that someone rebuilt with a left side pulley. It confused the hell outta me for a couple of minutes when I was replacing the pumps on my '51 coupe. I don't think there is a belt long enough to fit, though.:rolleyes:

13. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

tubman, the trucks use a single wide belt application for driving both water pumps., as V8 Bob says. I have that on my '50 panel. I am new to the passenger cars, I thought this pattern that I posted on was a home made fix for something. Not sure I buy into this application as being good, for what ever reason they changed to it.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Big AL" - Sorry, I meant to add a "sarcastic" smiley to my post but forgot. I'll fix it. My comment was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I do have the goofy incorrectly rebuilt pump, though.

15. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Good or not, there were a bunch of Fords made over about 4 years that used this system. Seemed to work for them, I would not be concerned about it.

16. leon bee

leon bee

I've got one of each setup running here. For removing/installing or just adjusting belts, I prefer the narrow belt rig.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here for the past 60 + years I just thought that this belt drives this side, that belt drives that side and the older rigs and trucks had wide belts and never gave it another thought.

18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I replaced my 3/8" belts and pullys with 5/8" belt and pullys with a single crank pully.
    If I remember correctly, the larger belts were used on trucks and tractors. The thin belt was used on sedan motors with a thin belt double crank pully.

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It may be that the use of the 2 thinner belt system was more efficient re: horsepower
    draw on the engine. Plus, it may have provided an engineering
    advantage for the introduction of power steering, and other optional equipment.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  20. adam401

adam401

I had always assumed all 8rt 1 big belt drives both pulleys and all 8ba 2 belt system. Is this not the case?

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

22. town sedan

town sedan

Better idea everyday of the week and they tried to use them all. Aren't Fords fun?
    -Dave

23. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "8BA" was used in some light trucks but used the single wide belt for both pumps, as did the '49 car 8BA. Go back and re-read my #10 post.

Big AL Neenyo and town sedan like this.
  24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It would also be interesting to see if cooling improves or gets worse depending on the number of fan blades.
    There probably is an optimum number but. how do you calculate it?

25. leon bee

leon bee

What about the fan?

26. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

I drive a ‘50 Fordor that had a seven blade flex fan on it. It would hold a folded up bed sheet against the radiator at idle. I’ve been chasing a vibration and I changed it to a stock three blade fan. I haven’t noticed any difference in engine temps...... Mark

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Flathead Dave:
    Please post photos of your complete crank pulley, fan pulley
    and water pump pulley set up. Fan is 6 blade stainless 17 in dia. from Super shops in 1999.

Here's a photo of an 8BA with 8RT wide belt water pumps, 2 sheave wide belt 50 Merc crank pulley and wide belt fan pulley similar to 50 Ford pick up trucks.. except that the fan pulley is home made.
    Alternator has wide belt pulley and is driven off the water pump belt. Fan is driven off the crank pulley.

Attached Files:

28. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Of course the fan. Gotta have the correct pully...

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Has anyone considered or tried to install an electric water pump
    on their flat head? Might alleviate some problems.

Dave, time to post your photos.

30. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

19Fordy, I have a four blade on my panel, I was trying to find a five blade, the three blade was really common, I am thinking the 4 blades were used on light duty trucks with the five blades being used on the heavy duty trucks? The four blade seems to work pretty good on my 8BA in my panel. I put a shroud on, that was in the pile of parts that came with the truck, it seems they were not used on the 1/2 applications. So far, it seems to help channel the air better, over the engine.