Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I shall agree ....Fine use for a file cabinet. Carry on.

Rustridden31, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

63068D49-284F-49C5-9AD6-7450FFABE5A5.jpeg 675767F4-2995-4887-8DFA-5C976B56B398.jpeg
    This is what I did with file cabinets, for the first time in a while, I know where stuff is and where to put stuff I find while cleaning my shop!

Well, I have added a Little to it, still working on it when I get time!

Bones 675767F4-2995-4887-8DFA-5C976B56B398.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    The 39 guy, brEad, whtbaron and 2 others like this.
  3. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

And a splendid job you have done. Bravo Sir,..Bravo.

loudbang likes this.
  4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You know what they say about "Great minds think alike" :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Here is one I made thats very similar. One suggestion is use big wheels. HF has reasonably priced ones. The small ones always seem to hang on things and then break later.......at least in my world:eek:
    ESAB 1.JPG

Rustridden31, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Hey, you got almost as much sh** in your shop as I do. Lately I have been on a quest to get most of the drawers labeled...........then there is less of a tendency to forget that I actually have something already.:D:D:D

I just hate it when I know I have something..............SOMEWHERE !

One of my favrite songs

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have actually labeled the drawers, as I couldn’t remember exactly where I was putting stuff and had to open two or three drawer sometimes before I found the right one! Once I’m sure I’m going to keep it that way, I will make some nicer labels, the one I have now are just scratch paper and a sharpie. I filled my upper shelves with all my “ boxed “ stuff like pullers, hole saws and other things that come in kit form. I’m moving my camping stuff to the attic, as I’m probably not going to tent camp anymore, but don’t want to get rid of it. I have some junk! But, I’m getting there, but Spring leaf cleaning and mowing is eating my lunch! And I’m fixen to put in a privacy fence behind and beside my detached garage, to store my “ junk” out of sight! Plus I’m trying to get my old motorhome ready to sell, as I already bought a newer one, and I have to fix some things on it, I’m helping my friend get his new home in shape, that he bought two houses down from me, I ‘m also helping another friend get two of his five race cars ready ( for what, I don’t know) ......I don’t know about this retirement stuff! I need to go back to work and get some rest! LOL!

Bones

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Finally finished this thing today while I'm on quarantine.:D
    I decide I wanted a better ring filer than the little hand crank one I had. Didn't want to pay the nearly $1000 for the one I liked. Didn't want to pay about $400 fr one I didn't really care for. So I looked thru some "treasure drawers" and rooted out an old cross slide that I had laying around. When you go to auctions sometimes you buy cabinets and they have the darnest things in them. Probably where I got it. Took a trip to Harbor Freight and started looking for something cheap and useful. Found a saw blade sharpener . Bout $50 Never saw one of those before at HF cause I never had a use for one. Grabbed a nice little $16 Dial Indicator while I was there. It works good!
    Most of the other stuff was laying around or stashed somewhere in my shop just for occasions like this. Anyway after a lot of piddlin and sittin n thinkin, I came up with the monstrosity pictured below. Next I'm starting on a valve spring tester cause I'm too cheap to buy one of the good ones.
    Box 2.JPG
    Blade Sharpener.JPG
    DSCN2002.JPG
    Ring Filer 1.JPG
    Ring Filer 2.JPG Ring Filer 3.JPG

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What was that about....average??yeah.Just saying! Lol excellent work and thinking , like the say “ out of the box” .

Bones

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  9. TJratz

TJratz

Here is a cart that I built out of left over scraps to hold the majority of my shaping/fab tools.

Attached Files:

Hansa1100, The 39 guy, brEad and 11 others like this.
  10. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That's really nice. What do have your bags filled with? Shot? Sand?

12. Mart

Mart

I dicked around trying to improve my engine stand. It had some features that were bugging me.

13. TJratz

TJratz

. Thanks. The small one is filled with lead and the large one is filled with sand

J. A. Miller likes this.
  14. cretin

cretin

The other day I had to chase some threads in a tight spot. Getting more space to chase the threads would have required an amount of disassembly I was trying to avoid if possible.
    There was just a bit more room then the length of the tap after it had been started in the hole by hand.
    My solution was, I took an old cheap 1/4” drive socket. The 1/4” drive fit the end of the tap. I then drilled out a 1/2” coarse nut, and tack welded the socket into it. I cut off the excess socket, and added some more racks on that side.
    That allowed me to use a 3/4” gear wrench to turn the tap and complete the job.
    I made the tool in about 5 min. Much less time it would have taken to remove the part.

Sorry for my one blurry photo, I didn’t realize it was blurry the other day when I took it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

brEad, VANDENPLAS, Just Gary and 13 others like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

loudbang likes this.
  16. cretin

cretin

I have a set of tap sockets that work most times, but this was a special case.

whtbaron, LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  17. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Clever. I take a nut of the proper size and make the bore fit the tap using a square file.

loudbang and 56don like this.
  18. Mart

Mart

I've found that a brake adjuster wrench makes a good improvised tap wrench. 5/16 or 1/4 square, at least mine is.

loudbang likes this.
  19. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I seldom throw out broken tools, they go into my "sumday for sumthin" collection, no loss if it doesn't work out when I cut 'em up, bend 'em, or whatever and it doesn't work out.

I've cut down cracked sockets more that once just for the square drives. Got one brazed in the end of the handle of my outside garage jack, handle sticks the 1/2" drive on what I'm using for the lug nuts is handy and unsticks it quick. Couple shots of WD and it's good to go until the next batch of damp weather moves in.

Bad ends of wrenches get cut off, good ends trimmed for shorty's, twisted, bent, welded onto weird shape extensions or whatever for oddball needs.

Ed

20. Has anyone ever noticed that most of the time you don’t need the majority of the taps length, many times it’s a hindrance to access?

I’ve often wondered why they are made the way they are.

“Thread chasing taps” are shorter and configured differently but the will not cut threads. I’d find it very useful to have cutting taps built like those chasing taps

0NE BAD 51 MERC, LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  21. bkap

bkap

Bottoming taps are usually shorter. Used for running threads all the way to the end of the hole.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  22. Mart

Mart

I wouldn't say bottoming taps are usually shorter. What is common though, is for a broken, or otherwise damaged tap to be shortened and used as a bottoming tap.

23. cretin

cretin

Another super simple one that maybe some people haven’t thought about. It’s come in super handy for me as of late.
    I just wrapped some aluminum around the jaws of a set of vise grips for soft jaws.

Really great for polishing washers so you don’t mess up the side you’ve already polished.

[​IMG]

24. loudbang

loudbang

Calling @Bandit Billy ^^^^^ save your fingers when you get a hankering to polish some washers. :rolleyes:

25. Mart

Mart

I use something similar to the grips above to clamp a brake hose.

loudbang likes this.
  26. chrisp

chrisp

And I'm the idiot who keeps burning his fingers...

27. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

until zing - there it goes. Dammit, where did that land?
    Been there, still doing it. Lol

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

To polish washers just put them on a tapered punch.

Rustridden31, LAROKE, TagMan and 5 others like this.
  29. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

And I thought that I was the only one OCD enough to polish washers.
    I mount the washer on a tapered back screw (anyone remember the proper name?) so that the washer is centered. then I put the end of the screw in my battery drill. Now I have a big handle with the added benefit of rotating the part.
    It is true that I can't polish all the way to the center but I have noticed that the center is typically hidden when the washer is installed.

LAROKE, Nostrebor and loudbang like this.
  30. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

My radiologist spouse says Pedicle screw. But she may be wrong.