Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anyone out there running luggage racks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Apr 6, 2020.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So years ago I bought a luggage rack from a friend of mine for my deuce sedan. I really didnt want to run it because I think it makes a hot rod look old timey. Having a 15 year old in the back seat of a sedan on a long road trip sort of makes it necessary. I have been mocking up some brackets so I can unbolt the rack when we are just running around and then throw them on when we make a road trip. If your running one lets see it. E6DB7155-2B50-4742-BADC-15B06416301A.jpeg

gnichols and Tim like this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

Fair amount of dust on those two toys. You need to get them out more after this pandemic passes.

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While it's certainly period to the car, I'd guess the luggage rack would be the first thing a hot rodder would have removed, back in the day.

But, it's your car and if you like the luggage rack and want it, it's nobody's business but yours, IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  4. BJR

BJR

I've always liked a nice rack!:D

MMM1693, WB69 and gnichols like this.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think an easily removable one would be great just to have when going on a long trip.

WB69 likes this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the looks of it. If you can make it easily detachable that would be great.

When I rode motorcycles I liked the look of my bike with no bags. The bags held rain gear and depending on the season, additional clothes. They were easy to take off (key locks) but it was easier to just leave 'em on. Then I was always ready to go anywhere.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was the hot lick in the mid 70's the other and maybe less desirable appearance wise would be a hitch mounted rack that you could pop off the car when you got to the motel at the event you were road tripping to and stick in the room until you are ready to check out.
    I'd run a rack like that on my 32 Vic though as even though now it is a total rust bucket I want it to look like a restored car that someone stuck a V8 in and hot rodded when it is done.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You are correct on the dust. I really need to invest in a few car covers.
    Being a carpenter I had a job making eight custom tabletops for my favorite watering hole. Shitty weather dictated I sand the tops inside.

9. Fordors

Fordors

JMO, but I bet most of those that might say it looks bad got their hot rod to the event in a trailer and had no need for a luggage rack. I think it looks good on the car but at the same time making it easily removable would be a plus.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sold mine and spare tyre bracket to a restorer after I'd restored them. Not the look I thought I wanted so it was time to move them on to someone with a greater need.
    Rack1.jpg
    Tire bracket2.jpg

11. swifty

swifty

My son runs one on his Tudor but it is the Aussie type which differs to the genuine US type. It fold in the center and does not stand out as much as yours. If you paint it to match your car or even gloss black then it wont stand out as much as it does now, then you wont need to worry about fitting and removing it.
    Here is a thread Corey made where you can see the Aussie style rack which I think is a US aftermarket one, have been told they came on Chrysler products. You posted on this thread @rusty rocket

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That's not bolted down however local design does differ to US version. He's one on a friends Master coupe. Note the arched bars whereas as local were straight.
    That kickout in rear bar was for spare wheel clearance when mounted as it sat down. I had a flat rear bar to use however I never got around to using it, a restorer friend may still have it? Broken link takes me to HAMBer page and not thread?
    upload_2020-4-7_14-5-24.png

13. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got grandkids older than your 15 year old. If that's what it takes for family travel, go for it. Family is way more important than "the look".