Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Knob on my headlight switch will not pull out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Waterboychuck, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Waterboychuck

Waterboychuck

I'm working on a 1963 Falcon Ranchero and when I tried to turn the lights the knob is stuck. I can rotate the knob but it will not pull out. I have the instrument panel out so I can see the top of the switch and have sprayed it with PB Blaster without and luck. Does anyone have any ideas on getting the shaft out?

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Don't know about Fords but some Chevys have a release button on the back of the switch that release the shaft when pushed.

loudbang and Tri-power37 like this.
  3. Dennis D

Dennis D

Did you push down on the little spring loaded button that is either on the top or side of the switch? It usually helps to pull the shaft all the way out then push it back in a smidge and then depress the release button before trying to pull it the rest of the way out. D

Tri-power37 likes this.
  4. Have you tried turning the knob fully counter-clockwise and fully clockwise to see if that helps?

loudbang and Tri-power37 like this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

My Brother is a knob...

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, Fords have the pushbutton to release the thing, but if you can't pull it out to turn the lights on that won't do much good. You could cut the shaft in two if need be, to remove the headlight switch.

Tri-power37 likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a common failure mode for these. Removal often involves destroying the knob.

Luckily, the knob and shaft are reproduced, and not very expensive (~$9).
    https://www.falconparts.com/ford-fa...m?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=0&page=1&idCategory=90

You may need to clamp a pair of Vise Grips on the knob, and rip it out, while holding the release knob.

8. donno

donno

Waterboy Chuck, did you finish the 46?

9. Waterboychuck

Waterboychuck

Don, the 46 has been finished since Dec 2018.

I understand pushing the button on the switch but doesn't the switch had to be pulled out and then push the button in the back?

10. RmK57

RmK57

No. Just reach under the dash, fumble for the button and pull the knob, shaft out. Then you can remove the bezel to get the switch out.

62rebel likes this.
  11. 62rebel

62rebel

No need to destroy it, give it time for the solvent to work. I can't begin to count the times I have had to do this; a contortionist would be cussing in a skinny minute. When you get the button under your finger, work the knob in and out as you keep pushing the button. It will come loose.

12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I know a girl who could help with that

loudbang likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ 867-5309?

Algoma56, Bandit Billy and swade41 like this.
  14. Yes, that is the correct procedure and if not done correctly on assembly, you end up where you are now. I have taken the switch apart in the past and saved them, but if it is in the dash? Good luck.

15. I have a brand new aftermarket Painless switch in my 41 Chevy that does this, first time I thought I was screwed, eventually it pulled out and has done it a few times since.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jenny's digits.