Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mill lathe buyers let’s see what your doing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsfrench, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Elhueso,
    Looks good,,,,,,I also like the crank storage under the bench .
    I need to make a bracket like that,,,,I have about 10 cranks,,,,(440-426 Hemi ),,,under my bench that need a more secure way to be stored .
    I always worry about them being knocked over in a domino effect .

Tommy

2. j hansen

j hansen

I can not find any brandname on it.But someone has rebuild it with a newer millinghead and put on an electric motor.

3. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Within the past week I drilled a similar pattern of lightening holes in the top anvil on the e wheel...Big dif. On the old arms.

4. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Note to self...Less chatter, More pics.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wearing long sleeves and gloves on machinery is like writing your own death sentence!
    Many years ago I was running one of the shops' big old noisy lathes about 30 feet from a big radial arm drill press that another machinists' son was running (Summer help).
    I heard a real faint "help me, help me" and looked to see him wound up around a three inch drill bit, I had to use a drift and piece of tubing to slowly reverse the spindle.
    He had shut it down, but because it was still revolving slowly and he didn't let it stop completely when one of his GLOVES caught on the drill bit, he was very lucky that he stalled it on the last revolution, he survived to go onto other dumb stunts, too bad as his dad was one of our top guys and had intensions of his son following in his footsteps.

6. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Posted this in other threads, but appropriate for this thread... DFE90181-0ACE-4789-9966-B1ADB82E5FB2.jpeg C1771B0D-78EA-44CE-94E1-DF223CE76834.jpeg

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I've dealt with Italian drawings (not French) which I'm guessing that most of the European countries followed the same system. We often had a lot of difficulty understanding their drawings. I worked as a machinist and as a machined parts inspector, so I'm familiar with both what it takes to make parts and to find the dimensional locations of an existing part.
    The logical thing to me would be to use the CNC machine to find the locations of things on the existing part and write down as many of them as you can locate. Standard inspection practices using manual techniques would require having a level surface (granite table), a height gage and a Cadillac guage (or possibly Jo Blocks) and a large angle plate.
    Using those you can find the diameter and location of any round or flat surface. Using the CNC machine with the part locked in place you can manually move and indicate the locations of all the surfaces. The radaii that aren't very long or basically connect two points can also be checked. That would be very difficult to do with manual devices.
    I have no idea how anyone could use a dial caliper and accurately measure most things on this part. Again, I think maybe the language barrier is making it difficult and maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say, but I can't figure anyway to make this part if calipers are all you have to measure with.;)

continentaljohn likes this.
  8. Trendz ,
    Now that is awesome work,,,really good work !
    I am not quite certain how the oil pan will mount,,,but I’m sure y’all have that worked out ?

Tommy

9. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

The pan needs notched “U” bends at/in the pan rail. Since I will be building the pan, it seemed like a better alternative to the commercially available caps. There is solid material in the pan rail, no coolant issues to worry about 4F641FB3-E4A3-469F-AF37-321E563CF348.jpeg 286919E8-D95C-46C9-8755-0F396C1E62AA.jpeg

10. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

You are right man
    A lot of measuring was done with a caliper
    But hole location ware Made on a cnc mill
    I took the original part on the cnc mill
    Took a tool to find the ground point
    I saw the x y z location to do the sketche
    If you are a machinist you understand what I mean .........
    I just said caliper to write a short story because All this took a month or so

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg converted this jag dual carb to triple carb intake. Getting there
    IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. realsteeler

realsteeler

Please tell that to the industry morons here in N.Z. No respect left for people who use their hands and brains. But not taking anything away from oldsfrench either. Great work.

13. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

I wouldn’t like to be without a couple of machines in my home shop. I do all sorts of stuff on my Bridgeport:

Pocketing a BMC block for exhaust valve clearance with a high lift cam.

[​IMG]

Skimming a SBC head on my home made machining jig

[​IMG]

Cutting in some extra valve clearance on an early Austin head before blending the work and skimming the face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decking a SBF piston in another home made jig.

[​IMG]

Wouldn’t want to be without a lathe. This is re-machining a wheel bearing seating on a 9” rear end using my WW2 era Colchester lathe

[​IMG]

It’s nice to have a “big” lathe, but I do most of my turning on this Smart & Brown toolroom lathe, it’s a real pleasure to use.

[​IMG]

I’ve restored this Dean Smith and Grace lathe with the intention of replacing the old Colchester at some time.

[​IMG]

Here’s a simple home made pilot cutter made on the lathe for opening out valve throats without needing to worry about maintaining concentricity.

[​IMG]

Seem to be developing something of a lathe habit recently:rolleyes:. I’ve just bought this Smart & Brown Instrument lathe, has a real high speed spindle capability ideal for really small work and takes industry standard 5C collets. It has turned out to be in as new mechanical condition.

[​IMG]

14. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

sorry for poor quality, those are from 2008 or so...
    at this time , phone didn t take good photos...
    Photo065.jpg Photo067.jpg Photo069.jpg Photo072.jpg Photo072.jpg Photo068.jpg Photo071.jpg Photo076.jpg

j hansen likes this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Nice shop and very nice work Stueee. Grab those old machines while you still can. What you have a good grasp of is the fact that conventional machining is all about the ability to set a part in the right orientation, and then make usually simple cuts one at a time with reasonable accuracy. Its about the ability to adapt things to make them work for your purpose. You obviously have a good grasp on that ! ;)

continentaljohn and j hansen like this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Oldsfrench, these are much better pictures and show that what you are currently producing is made completely from billet stock. There appears to be some minor changes/differences between the new pictures and the old ones on the textured side of the part. Thats why I felt that the original machining may have been from a casting, but the new ones are billet for sure, and very nicely done.

17. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Hey Stueee, thanks for the shop tour, seriously green with envy! I can do a fair bit with my baby mill and lathe but I would really like to have that full size BP! Some nice work there.

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Stueeee great shop and thank for sharing your pictures and work .