Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures A Winter Road Trip in a Model T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 3, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

A Winter Road Trip in a Model T

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

charleyw, das858, Lepus and 8 others like this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

Oh my.......what an adventure but.......folks, I live in cold country now and have rode my Sportster in -9c many years ago not for very long or far.
    I shivered all the way through this film. An open touring in that kind of environment.....uh, no thank you but again but..........a testament to that fellow and his Model T. What a great spirit he has!
    What a cool little film, thanks! :)

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Long miles, in the winter, in a TOURING CAR! where does this guy have room for his huge brass balls, or did they freeze off!?

Old-Soul and chiro like this.
  4. Bluedot

Bluedot

Wowza, some road trip! I despise winter, but this somehow looked like fun. At least it did from the warm comfort of my driver's seat - desk driver that is - and ~70º. X2 on the brass balls. So many things could have gone very wrong, yet he and Liz trudged onward. Fascinating.

5. Joey, the video made my day! I intend to watch it again just to concentrate on the images instead of reading the text, I admire a man that can shake of the challenge of the snow and cold and the fact he is driving a touring car.

That had to be a experience of a lifetime.

Thank you so much for sharing thios fantastic video. HRP

Lost in the Fifties and Old-Soul like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANK YOU! That was fun to watch. I'll be driving my 1912 in warn weather, thank you. One video that is going to be passed along to a lot of people. Bob

7. Many years ago I decided that if I was going to own a motorcycle I would have to ride it everyday, so January 1st, 1979 I fired up my 1956 panhead and left for work, it was a short ride of about 8 miles, the thermometer showed it was 18 degrees and being a Southerner I didn't have cloths for riding in cold weather, I had on plain cotton long johns and jeans, a sweat shirt and leather jacket, leather gloves and a stocking cap, I made it about 4 miles before I pulled off on the side of the road.

I sat there with the tears in my eyes frozen to the side of my face and had my hands on the cylinders try to absorb some heat, about this time a neighbor pulled up behind me, he got out and ask was I ok?

I said, no I'm not, I'm a idiot and freezing my butt off, I ask him would he take me home and he said yes but what about the bike, I told him, "It can sit here or get stolen, right now I don't care"

I call my boss and said I would be late and waited around the house until it got above freezing and Brenda took me back to my bike, I fired it up and went back to the house.

I owned that bike a long time but realized I had a truck with a heater and I proved to myself that riding a bike 365 days a year is not for me. HRP

rod1, Tim and 2935ford like this.
  8. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

That was excellent! I wonder what happened when he hit the snow bank though?

9. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Every time I see a touring car, I think of how cold it must have been to drive one in the winter, back in the day when it was someone's only transportation.

The37Kid likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Much better than the wagons they replaced.;) Bob

NWRustyJunk likes this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

This is a great video. Tried riding my motorcycle and sidecar all winter and things aren't too bad in the sidecar with the side curtains on. Riding the bike, I wore an electric vest. I'm such a wimp compared with this man.

12. louisb

louisb

That was great!

13. John Starr

John Starr

Very nice. Gives me some visual and audio to fill in the blanks on a family story.

Back in 1915 my grandfather and his brother used their summer college break to drive the new Lincoln Highway from the east coast to San Francisco to see the 1915 world's fair, in a Model T. Lots of dirt roads.

In the 1970s he wrote about it in his journal. Some of my favorite parts;

There were no gas stations back then, per se. Just garage service stations. The price of gas ranged from 13 cents a gallon to 50 cents (remote desert areas).

They loved the ground clearance on the model T — it really helped them during the portions they had to travel off-road.

One one memorable day, they had seven blowouts, went through all their spare tubes, ended up stuffing sagebrush and burlap into the tire and limped into the next town.

At the end of the journey somewhere in California, they got stuck in a river and literally sunk the car to the roof. Local farmers with a team of horses dragged them out, they took the engine apart right there, cleaned out the sand, got it going. Sold the car in town for $350 -- $25 less than what they paid for it.

rod1, Lepus, cfmvw and 2 others like this.
  14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ohhhh Man.

This video ranks at the top of Balls and Nuts.

John Starr likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Only HAMB friendly things are the four very HOT connecting rods. Bob ;)

16. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

What a great little story and enjoyed the adventure,but now I need a hot chocolate.

17. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I can see myself doing that.

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

we have a club member from iowa who drives his model t all over the southern states in winter, and more than one trip to alaska. he carries enough spares to practically build another car, but he has always made it home to my knowledge.

Tim likes this.
  19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, drive a T in the winter and it will never boil over

20. Snow can drag you around when you hit deeper stuff on the edge of the road. My guess is, he wandered a little too far to the right and the deep stuff pulled the car into the snow bank. I was mentally steering to the left for him just when he got sucked over. Good video clip.

Baumi likes this.
  21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Neat little video, thanks for that. I was gonna head out for a run here (-9*c, about -16 or so with wind) but thid may have just "talked" me out of it haha.

@J.Ukrop any updates on your pals Econoline project?

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think some of you may recall, but there was a HAMB thread long ago posted by a guy who traveled up to Alaska in an open roadster (Stutz-is?) pulling a small trailer. I don't know if it is archivable, but I remember it was quite the adventure. I also see another T travails thread has also started.

23. the first time i see something on the hamb in my native language:)

The37Kid likes this.
  24. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks, Joey, Amazing!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  25. vilanar

vilanar
    from Finland

That was great ! Fun moment around 6 min when that tank truck passed the Lizzie. Truck was mine , but I wasn't behind the wheel , unfortunately...
    Nice film...

J.Ukrop likes this.