Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Good Used"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Apr 5, 2020.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

After pressing new bushings into my front end last night, I got to thinking about how everything on my car that was "Good Used" wasn't really good, just used. It got me to thinking about this bullshit term, "good used". It implies that it's not new but is functioning properly. And while that might be true, it really only makes sense on face value, not when you stop to think about it critically. Everything is good used until it isn't, and depending on how used it is will usually determine whether that time will come sooner rather than later.

Sure, some of us have gotten great use out of used parts. Hell, even my $300 383 Chrysler is still running strong 15 years after I put it in. But I've had just as many used engines have low oil pressure, throw a rod after 60 miles, etc. To me, any car that's being built legitimately should have a minimum of used parts. It's for this reason that I've thrown away a large portion of my stash of old parts. Am I really going to use that SBC short water pump off some engine I junked a decade ago, or am I going to go to the parts store and just get a new one?

Thoughts?

loudbang, jimmy six, '51 Norm and 5 others like this.
  2. I agree that you probably will never use most of whatever you 'hoard for later'............

until you toss it out. Then I give it about a month or less that you need 98% of the parts.

Hombre, Desoto291Hemi, j-jock and 4 others like this.
  3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I think you hit the nail on the head Joe. And I say welcome to the club. I know I am guilt of all the things you are referring to. But I also think we are of the club that we feel we will eventually need all this pile of parts we have acquired along the way only to discover that you won't end up using that good used stuff in the long run. It's probably that old saying that I hear over and over on these threads where the minute you get rid of something you find you suddenly have a need for it.

jimmy six likes this.
  4. With the shitty quality of most "new" parts these days, I'm saving every good used part that I may someday need. I can always toss them later if I don't use them.
    My stash of pressure plates....

DSCN0472.JPG

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

"Good used", almost like saying "running when pulled".

loudbang likes this.
  6. Good used, is just that, used.

now, while I have bought engines from wrecking yards and stuffed them into shit boxes and ran them without issue.

it seems to me anyways, on my “ good cars” I don’t want a rusty greasy part on there.
    So the part gets cleaned
    And painted
    Then you look at it....
    Replace the hardware
    Ahhhbushing are cheap..... let’s get those
    Oh I can put a clip/brakes/dohicky here n make the part better.

I don’t think it’s, old parts are junk, but that most of us hold our “good cars” at a high standard and want every part to show that.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have a pile of used Model A pressure plates too. Over on Fordbarn you can find instructions on rebuilding and putting them into spec so those are good to have...except that I am putting V8 pressure plates in my As

62rebel likes this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a buddy that referred to used parts as "road tested" and always said you didn't know what you had if it was 'rebuilt'

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, partsdawg and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

I am not afraid to put used parts on my cars if those parts are in good shape
    I « use « my wife since 1986 and she runs great :D

williebill, j-jock and 62rebel like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

None of my cars have any new parts in them. They're all good used parts, now.

Of course, if you're buying something that's advertised as "good used", there's a pretty good chance it's not as good as the seller wants you to believe. Buyer beware.

Desoto291Hemi, j-jock and olscrounger like this.
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel the same way. Too many things I have purchased from various sources for used parts turned out to be not really worth it in the end. It's a tough expensive lesson to learn. There are some exceptions to that but generally your better off just bitting the bullet and getting something that hasn't been used before. Not only do you get some kind of warranty, usually you can return it if it doesn't work. Try doing that with a dropped axle or something you bought years ago because it was a great deal!

loudbang and etboy97 like this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

Ever hear the term, If it ain't broke, don't fix it???;)

loudbang and 62rebel like this.
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

Some time back, a major auto magazine ran a Ford model A on a trip for an article. Made a big deal about replacing a bunch of worn parts with new. Only trouble was, out on the road, those replacement parts failed and they had to find old parts to keep going. If it ain't broke, for christ's sake, don't break it just to amuse yourself.

loudbang, RMR&C, Hombre and 1 other person like this.
  14. I have acquired a substantial stash of mostly engine parts for my needs over the years, and I can't remember having a problem pulling a part off an old car, to replace the broken one on my driver.
    I always take the time to carefully clean, inspect, and lubricate, the part I am putting in, and this philosophy has served me well.
    Personally, I look at the phrase, "Good, used" from the aviation point of view, in that there are no signs of wear, and it operates like new. If I am buying a used engine or part, the phrase "buyer beware", is uppermost in my mind, and I know I am measuring the risk against the amount of money I am paying for the part.
    I have been stung, often unwittingly on the part of the seller, but I believe I have done really well overall.
    I am not afraid to rebuild stuff, so most of the time my repairs amount to finding new bearings, and pushing out the old ones, or doing some machining.
    I love doing that kind of stuff, as long as it isn't on the daily driver where time is the issue.
    Bob

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    loudbang, 62rebel and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. There's some things I won't use used parts for, if it might leave you stranded or are super hard to replace and I don't want to do it again. But that said there are A LOT of new parts that SUCK and gently used or barely used parts are way better. Some parts I do keep that are not good used, but good cores or good for rebuild (like the above pics of pressure plates). To me the parts out there for me to use are 90% good used or nos (nors), repo only for rubber, some plastic and glass.

"Good used" just means that it's way better then mine and it's a factory part.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    loudbang, RMR&C and 62rebel like this.
  16. KenC

KenC

A lot of salvages around me had a sign on the wall back in the 70s:

All cars run on used parts.

True.
    With the quality of new bearings these days, I think I'd put my trust in a smooth turning used water pump before a rebuilt. maybe even new, depending on the source.

loudbang, 62rebel and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. I’m well used and still go alright,sometimes!

j-jock and Hombre like this.
  18. I’m like J Jock ,,,,almost no wear goes a long way with me .
    But even then,,,it depends on what it is,,,,if I know the part well,,,then I know what to look for .
    A lot of stuff I can eyeball and make a fairly good judgment on ,,,if not,,,,I have to get a part for a very reasonable price,,,just in case .
    I have bought a lot of blocks and cranks just on a good inspection,,,and a “feel “ for the parts.
    I always keep a record of the price and location I bought it,,just for future reference.

And sometimes,,just looking in the guys eyes tells you a lot about the part !

Tommy

19. 62rebel

62rebel

Bought a used 390 out of a pickup truck once, just to have a spare parts source. That engine was actually a recent rebuild the seller was unaware of. Better than the engine I was running.

20. all cars run on used parts.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  21. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Personally I have found that a lot of “old “ parts are just fine , all that is required is a though cleanup and proper lubrication . Recently rebuilt my y block, reused the water , fuel and oil pumps as well as the distributor, all these parts out of a vehicle with unknown history sitting in the bush for who knows how long. While I’m not building anything close to show quality I still prefer a part that had some care and quality control applied to its manufacture than the current crap that’s available. In the process of getting my truck back on the road I replaced some bearings and the tolerances left a lot to be desired, these from formerly reputable suppliers, sks Brazil too tight, China sloppy, Tiewan indifferent. As long as we’re being a bunch of tight asses and buying the cheapest shit available the suppliers are going to be supplying just what we’re buying. China’s philosophy is we don’t care if you go to the competition, we build that shit too.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    loudbang, RMR&C, j-jock and 1 other person like this.
  22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Maybe the term should be ... "Used good".

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My “used” parts consists of blocks, cranks, heads, rods, oil pump, and rebuildable water pumps. and tin parts for my GMC’s. I’m finally starting to throw away head gaskets, piston rings, etc. I do save flywheels and a few clutch hats from the past I have used but I am thinning it all out. We put this one in the 40 Chevrolet race car since 1962 we are putting back on the street. I won’t put anything that looks bad on either even tho no one will ever see it. The McCleod box was for the 28 spline disc we didn’t have.
    ps: please don’t look at the wheel
    7897DA2A-2C44-4CF3-A4E4-D6379A1FE636.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

Those new parts are new right up to the point I took them out of the box, installed them on my ride, and drove it around the block. After that they were just used parts, time will tell just how good they were. Some of the current new parts are not good for very long while some other new parts are still good for a long time. Good used parts fallow the same pattern, some good used parts are not good for very long... Gene

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  25. jaracer

jaracer

Had a friend that built about one custom car a year for about 15 years, and rarely sold any. There were very few new parts on any of his cars. He ran a body shop so 90% of the parts came from salvage cars. He had really good luck with high mileage salvage drive trains.

26. squirrel

squirrel

Used fuel and water pumps usually need a rebuild by the time I get them....but most everything else that's not rubber or paper or other stuff that goes bad over time, I try to re use if possible. Especially bearings, as long as I can get them opened up, cleaned, and re greased. They don't make them like they used to.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.