Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rumble seat or trunk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 5, 2020.

1. I have had two cars with rumble seats, a 5 window coupe & a 39 Ford convertible, I have owned several other 32 Fords with trunks.

I learn to dislike the rumble seats, when we traveled I would have to remove the seat cushions to make room for all the stuff you need to carry and the struggle to get a fair size ice chest,luggage,tools, a couple of folding chairs and cleaning supplies.

It got to be a huge PITA.

What do you guys prefer, trunk or rumble seat? HRP

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I changed my rumble seat to a trunk. More useful is the way I see it and sounds like you do to.

3W JOHN, Dave Mc, 56don and 1 other person like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Where will I sit then?
    [​IMG]

-Brent-, 32SEDAN, 3W JOHN and 8 others like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Trunk. If you need more seating you need a C dan.....

3W JOHN and 56don like this.

5. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I hate rumble seats!! Had one in my 32 coupe, which I just sold. My 32 roadster and 36 3W have trunks which I love.... easy to put a cooler and chairs in. I am in the process of converting my 36 roadster to a trunk.... which I believe they never came with that option .... can't wait :)

3W JOHN, Dave Mc and 56don like this.
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Sensible Trunk...I Don't Have Enough Friends To Justify A Rumble Seat... thumbnail (2).jpg

3W JOHN, Dave Mc, nochop and 6 others like this.
  7. Trunk...Where else am I gonna put the battery??:D

DSC00089.JPG

3W JOHN, Dave Mc, nochop and 2 others like this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s why God made pick ups . :D

3W JOHN, Al's.C.D.T and nochop like this.
  9. I don't think God made pickup's but he did give man the common sense to build one. :) HRP

32SEDAN, nochop, LOU WELLS and 3 others like this.
  10. jaracer

jaracer

I've got a 28 Model A Sport Coupe. My wife wanted me to put it together with a rumble seat. I asked her how in the world was she ever going to crawl up over the rear fender to get in? When she took a good look at what it would take, she agreed that a trunk made a lot more sense.

3W JOHN, CobraJoe, nochop and 2 others like this.
  11. For road trips a trunk is a necessity. Also a lot easier than using the back seat in my old Victoria.

Phil

3W JOHN, nochop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '37 Chevy rumble seat coupe for 30-years and only let people ride in it once. In an accident they would have launched right over the top. Every year I'd take the rumble seat out for luggage room when we went on our vacation. Got to be a PITA and I sold it last year.

13. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I would much rather have the trunk space...

14. lake_harley

lake_harley

I expect to be picking up another Model A coupe in a few weeks. It's a rumble seat car, but I understand it's fairly straightforward to convert a 30/31 Model A coupe from a rumble seat to trunk. I'm hoping that's correct. Any guidance or pointers about the conversion will be appreciated.

I agree with what appears to be unanimous here, trunk over rumble seat any day! I rode about 30 minutes in a friend's 32 roadster's rumble seat a few years ago. That was about as miserable as I've ever been in a car.

Lynn

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I love the seat in the trunk,when I was 8,my Mom had a stock 32 roadster in late 40s,she totally loved that old car,and her Dad {my Grandpa}kept it running like a top. Mom was a school teacher{for 48 years before retiring}. Both me and my younger sister loved riding in the trunk. We almost lost Dad for a month plus,when he sold/traded really her 32 for a big chainsaw,he needed for a block with trees all over it. Dad and his 2 brothers and his Dad built houses after WW2,hole blocks at a time.
    When Mom asked were is her 32,she hated what she was told,Dad was told to stay at one of his brothers.
    Not sure if I'd like that seat now,but just never had one my self. By the time I owned a 28A roadster ,it didn't even have anything left of a trunk that could be used anyway. ArtDecoMBshow.jpg

16. TRUNK!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

nochop, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Trunk, that’s where I put the bodies

18. Yep^^^^know a body I'd like to put in my Cabriolet that came without the seat !

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and nochop like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Trunk for sure! I think a rumble seat would be really cool, for about half an hour.....

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We can get two chairs , sleeping bags, cooler, bags for food, adult refreshments, all our clothes etc for a 10 day getaway in our avatar with a rumble but we never put a seat in, the first thing we did when we got the bare body was to make our own flat floor with no foot well , we also want to install full X member in the frame. Admittedly it’s a reach to get behind the seat, but then the seat back tilts forward , so I can easily access the battery and tool bag.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    3W JOHN, nochop, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  21. primed34

primed34

Have a trunk on my '34. Just never could get excited about rumble seats.

22. Danny, I think that an old time Ford Employee would argue with you that worked at the plant when old Henry was around.;) I like the trunk, my 29 Model A is a four door Briggs, lots of room back there.

23. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have converted two rumbles to trunks. still have one. about once a year some one wants to ride back there and when you open the lid it is filthy from the road dust and even a pig like me would not get in it. when closed the two cushions actually touch, so not room to even put a light coat or the lid wont close in a 31 A. everything you want to put in there must go on the floor and then its dirty and you cant reach it from outside without crawling up on the car. i see no use for a rumble seat

3W JOHN, Blues4U, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Trunk.....

25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I like riding in the rumbleseat rather than the trunk.;):D

3W JOHN, dana barlow, 56don and 3 others like this.
  26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I guess it only makes a difference if your still alive or not

27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

He created everything from the ore in the ground etc and then made man with intelligence to mine that ore to make steel to...so technically he made the pick up.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We used to ride with my buddy and his wife in their 29 roadster with a rumble seat once in a while in the late 70's early 80's but I always seemed to carry their extra duffle bag or cooler in my truck when we went out of town to a weekend rod run.

29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

rumble seat....its one of the coolest things these cars could have!! i hear a bunch of hot rodders who sound like theyd be much more comfy in a nice modern suv...maybe a hybrid? then you can really get to the car show in comfort. rumble seats are just plain cool. period

3W JOHN, klawockvet, nochop and 4 others like this.
  30. catdad49

catdad49

My A came with a trunk so I don't see any reason to change it.

3W JOHN and nochop like this.