Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical V8 Options and Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Apr 5, 2020.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I'm hoping one day to build a early 50's traditional 5 window. I'm debating what engines I want to use. I'm sorta set on a built 8BA flat head V8. The costs of the build will not be cheap I'm sure. I've considered a Olds 303 or a Cadillac 331. Tri power intake with headers with some port and polish work on the heads and possibly a cam. I'd be happy to have close to 200 HP. Or a little more. I have thought about a T-5 transmission or a T-10. What's some of y'all's thoughts? Between the 3, which would you chose and why? Read online the 303 and 331 can be expensive when it comes to adapters. I want a manual. What's some good transmission options? I did find some for the Ford 3 speed box. Not sure I'd be happy with it though.

2. 5window

5window

You're 28? Probably too late to start saving! :) Might be doable if the 5 window you have in mind is a Model A. Keep in mind that the popularity of the 3 window Deuce over the 5 window Deuce is often due to the width of the doors. If you are a big guy, you might find entry and egress a bit more "fun" in the 5 window, especially if you've got a chopped top.

pitman likes this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Early Cadillac.
    FYI. My son has a rebuilt one he’s interested in selling.
    IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

4. pitman

pitman

Cad-LaSalle often found old stock car body pieces, which with a magic wand, became 3, or 5 winder cars. Myself, the model A was the way to go.

5. I ran a tri power 331 caddy in a '46 Ford coupe backed by a 4 gear and liked it real well. It pulled well and cruised great. I did run the car with a Cleveland Hamster for a while when I was collect bits and machine work to rebuild the caddy. The Ford motor was a beast but it was never as pleasing to drive as the caddy.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that if I was going to run a flathead V8 instead of built 8BA I would be looking for a big truck motor which from what I have been told was basically a Lincoln V8. 337 cubes and he block relieved from the factory. A quick cam shaft and hot rod intake (sling shot if nothing else) and you got it head and shoulders above the competition.

6. pkhammer

pkhammer

The 1955-up Cadillacs did away with the cast-on bell housing and adaptors are available from Wilcap for 4 speed and auto trannys. The '55 Caddy (what I have) was 250 hp stock and 270 with the 3 2bbl setup. Parts are a little tough to get, I had to wait most of last year (about 8 months) to get .010 under main bearings because suppliers were out of them. All the engines will be expensive to build but I really dig most of the early OHV mills so it's worth it to me.
    You can build a small block Chevy for WAY less $$ and way less hassle but the cool factor of running an early flathead, Caddy, Olds, Hemi or Buick is off the charts in my opinion. The cool factor of running a sbc is well, uh, well, I guess you can brag to your friends about how easy parts are to find and how much money you didn't spend which I guess is cool or at least practical. :rolleyes:

7. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Interesting views. I want something different. Way I see it, you seen one small block, you seen them all. I always wanted a Cadillac engine for some reason.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. LOL I usually brag about how much faster mine is. :D

If you are building an early '50s car you are not going to use an SBC, perhaps you may pull off a little nailhead or Y block. The first nailhead (1953) had full skirted pistons and the '54 up slipper skirt pistons were a better option. No one will see 'em. LOL

tractorguy, pkhammer and dana barlow like this.
  9. pkhammer

pkhammer

I would recommend that if you go with the Cadillac go with a '55 331 or slightly later 365 simply for the fact trannys are easier to adapt. Visually nobody will be the wiser so I think they'd qualify for an early 50's build even if you would be cheating slightly. Visually the same could be said for any 50's Olds Rockets, Buick Nailheads or Hemis for that matter.
    porknbeaner also brought up a good point, the Ford Y-blocks are great little mills. I've had them in both a '57 and '60 Pickup and they had a great sound and decent power.

pitman, tractorguy and dana barlow like this.
  10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Caddy or Olds with a T5. Your "close to 200HP" goal is gonna be real expensive if you decide on the flat head Ford.

pkhammer and dana barlow like this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

Theyre all going to be expensive. Dig around in the LS swap world, theres some Olds and Cads are being converted. May find a good running engine that the owner doesnt see much value in VS finding a rusted up core and building from scratch.

tractorguy and 40FORDPU like this.
  12. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

I have a 1953 olds 98 with the 303
    185 hp
    I have a 1956 olds 98 as well
    The 56 have a fresh rebuilt engine with a isky cam
    The 303 runs great but the 324 has more power
    Just for kidding
    Olds rocket engine are for Oldsmobile
    The best choice is a hemi

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Just a " Way Back Story" about the times late 1950s,I completed my first hot rod in 59,is a 28A I still have,,had taken 3 years.
    In that time was also helping an getting help from buddy's an CC members,I had joined to find out stuff an the fun.
    So here's my early Cady story(happened in 58),my buddy Bob Plone also was trying to build a rod,he found a guy that had 2 Cady's that had been souped up some?,by then just 2 piles of parts and no info about them. Bob buys them cheep and I helped bring them back to Bob's with my Dad's borrowed wagon.
    Well we both worked on reassembling one of them out of the parts an some new gaskets an bearing.
    Maybe or not,lucky there was only one starter motor. We built a crappy little test stand,to run it,and it actully did start after some playing around. Bob really happy about how it sounds n runs,so then ask my Dad over to come see.
    That's when my Dad dropped the you dum kids hammer,"it's running backward"$@%&.
    Come to find out,Dad pointed out a few parts in parts pile,that were boat stuff. So the cheep was do to left over parts from a twin engine boat,an we had used the motor parts made to run backward. Opusss. LOL ,, Yup took Bob about another year to make one run the right way,he never told an CC members about the first run,so nether did I.
    My hot rod from 59 is powered by Ford Y Thunderbird,an still is. .

001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Pontiac 389.. They look nice, are very simple and really haul ass right from the factory... Second would be an early big block Chevrolet, like a 1977-8.. There low compression, run on anything and have piles of torque…...

dana barlow, pitman and olscrounger like this.
  15. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I was looking for a Chrysler Polyhead when I came across a deal on this 392 IMG_20190914_120702418.jpg

Elcohaulic and dana barlow like this.