Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 9" Ford Rear Axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 4, 2020.

1. trollst

trollst

An 8.8 out of a ford ranger pickup is also the correct width, easier to find and lots of gear selection, sell the 9 inch to someone who will actually use it, put the cash in a jar on your bedroom dresser. Works for me..

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. I got one ....it was on a rack and then I needed to cut the rack up to make another rack and a bracket....which was weird cause' I got a steel rack full of steel to make that stuff out of, but it was handy and I got a tractor to pick up heavy shit like that rear end ,so I did and dumped it out beside the shop.... I figure since I got out of a yard where it sat hooked under a old ford for about 40 years, that a while more outside in my yard ain't gonna mean crap.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. If the rear end is going to be outside, ya might do better with a little shed over it that looks like a trunk floor. That’s how the usually live outside

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I built a rack similar to that with 2x4s for a couple of 8.5" GM rears for my 55 if I ever swap it out. Does not take much room and you can stack stuff on top of it. Maybe that's why I cannot kick my way through the shop.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. lake_harley

lake_harley

Not as heavy duty as the axle storage stand shown earlier, but here's mine, built from "drop" materials. It certainly makes good use of floor space, but usually things end up cluttering in front of it.

Lynn

20200405_134720.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER, deathrowdave and Deuces like this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

As for outside storage, in the years before store bought rear ends for my chassis business I was hitting the local yards for round back 9 inch rears and while most of them had usable housings and axles the gears were usually rusty and many times the brakes were also needing a complete rebuild including drums as they were frozen tight. When I moved to my new digs a few years ago we sent quite a few old housings to the scrap yard as we now only use new rears.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Danny, considering how hard those Bronco rearends are to come by at any price I'm with those that feel you should prep it for storage (indoors) and keep it.
    I should have put this imoji at the end of my previous post;).
    This 9 inch housing was one of the first things I got for my roadster project, long before I had a body or chassis, hence why I made that statement.
    Of course it didn't look like this when I got it.

20161216_123917.jpg

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Hate to get rid of it but need the room, dry your tears with hundred dollar bills...lol

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

9B97E098-26E2-401E-B81D-AA883AEE7345.jpeg 89BC7652-545E-427D-B69B-3239FE3A8230.jpeg 7146BFE8-3297-4C94-BF5E-0F629D14C815.jpeg BC7D175A-22BC-442F-B0B5-CE612BFD5484.jpeg Might get on somebody’s wrong side here, but go ahead and store it out side, put a piece of tin over it! I just bought a C scratch 428 short block , that was stored this way for 25 years. Took it apart last night still in good shape! You could also , take a brush and paint it with used engine oil, every once in a while. That will preserve it and deter thieves, at the same time!

Bones

10. samurai mike

samurai mike

back off the brake shoes so the don't stick to the drums.

Algoma56 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. that is by far thee most complicated piston top I’ve ever seen.
    Lots and lots of edges to catch carbon

Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. I'm really not worried about it being stolen, thieves around here are to lazy to steal anything that heavy! HRP

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bruce
    WTF are those alloy axle housings on that middle QC?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@DDDenny,
    Those are some magnesium housings that I bought off the auction site. Have not been able to track down the original manufacturer.

I'd love to build it for someone. Certainly one of a kind.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Very unique, any of those quick change rear axle would really set off the right car. HRP

17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Under the bench, then find a space for what’s under the bench. Once you find a spot for was under the bench, clear that out......soon this will be over

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. glrbird

glrbird

I use the Harbor Freight dollies. Transmissions rear ended what ever. Roll it under a bench or in a corner. And they are cheep image.jpg

TagMan and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. That does make it easier to move around. HRP

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add a bench in front of that rack and you can save going to the gym!
    If the axles are in it, I have taken a drum off and turned it around then put the lugs back on so the rear end can sit up on end. Add a piece of heavy cardboard underneath and shove it in the corner of the garage. Nail a length of plumbers strapping around it so it doesn't fall over. It rains so much here I can't see storing anything of value outside.

21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

< I have a 9" Bronco rear axle on my car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. On your car or under your car John? :D

You know I'm just joking don't you? HRP

23. works for me. Maybe lean a piece of tin against it.

or maybe if things happen here as they may I'll have to come after it. :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

I laughed when a buddy of mine bought one of those plastic storage sheds from Home Depot or Lowe’s. It seemed so small and cheesy but he packed his extra 9” rear ends and a bunch of engine parts in it. We unloaded it years later to relocate it and everything looked just like it did when he put it away. I was amazed. Lots of spiders but the parts were fine. He put his on 4x6 skids to prevent flooding from heavy rain. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. What are you planning Beano? HRP

26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I know Danny and a 8.8 ranger pickup rear end wouldn't last long under one of his cars, all the 1932 fords he built has the strong 9 inch bronco axle.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.