Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri-Five Gassers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CDN34Pickup, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Very Cool....did you source the diamond pleat material somewhere?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Ok...so those rear wheels have been used on hundreds of cars since the 60’s....let me guess you don’t like the front wheels...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I'd do the full radius were I to ever cut it. I just like the look of a tucked tall tire on a 55.

Sent from my KFSUWI using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. The panels are actually what came in it when I bought it. One of the few things I haven't changed since I like it so much. I have been considering a gold flake vinyl though.....

Bowtie Coupe, wvenfield and loudbang like this.
  5. I've seen torq thrusts on pics of period cars, and you're not the first one to comment on the fronts. They seem to be a love or hate sort of thing. I don't take offense. The drilled and slotted rotors aren't period either.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. Do not cut those wheel openings....

7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

What year did the torq thrust d’s come out anyway? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen them on any older jr stock/SS or gasser pictures from the old days but weren’t they made for the disc brakes cars ie corvette/camaro? Did they come out around 65 or 66 when the corvette went to disc brakes or was it later? I think the OT Smokey Yunick Camaro had them but that was 68 or 69.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. 1965 from what I've found.
    http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

10. chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

My problem is I tend to want to put them on everything. [​IMG]

alfin32, enloe, impala4speed and 9 others like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

I'm thinking a set of .500" wide wheel spacers should cure that problem along with a set of fronts with a .500" deeper offset... Then again, maybe not.... Just thinking out loud... :oops::rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually the first Torque Thrusts were advertised in December of ‘59. The first aluminum straight spoke Torque Thrusts called a sport wheel came out in ‘65 in 15”x6” only. The original style “D” spokes look a lot different than any of the reissues.

14. rooman

rooman

I love the car but agree with Mark Yac that the front wheels are totally bogus. The only cars that ran spindle mount 12 spokes back in the day were altereds. In the era when tri five Chevy's were popular as gassers the rules required front brakes and just about everyone ran bolt on wheels apart from a few high end upper classed cars where disc brakes were adapted to the spindle mount wheels which were generally Halibrands as the Americans did not have enough surface area to mount the rotors. For about the same $ as the Rocket 10 spokes I would rather see a pair of JD's Halibrand clones. They are still not quite right (the "windows are too big) but they are at least close. Or you could spend a little more and get a set of Real Rodders kidney bean units which are an exact copy of the original Halibrands.
    OR, just run 15 x 4.5 Torque Thrust D's which are the cheapest of the lot at only $110 each.

Roo

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Nothing mean intended...........I just couldn't help it. All the complaints about the wheels a gasser ran and not one mention about the cup holders. LOL (It's a nice car, just piling on a little) ;)

rumblegutz likes this.
  16. That whole console lifts right out. :p

chryslerfan55, loudbang and wvenfield like this.
  17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

[​IMG]

She's a hot stepping hemi with a four on the floor
    She's a roadrunner engine in a '32 Ford

18. Your cars kick ass.....let’s see the complainers...jeez tough crowd

loudbang and Mr. Sinister like this.
  19. I’m not sweating it. Opinions are like assholes, some stink more than others.
    This is the only place I get any flack for the wheels. Go figure!

20. Deuces

Deuces

Don't sweat the small stuff... ;)
    I think those look great! :)
    At least you got brakes and can drive it on the street.... :) That's what counts!!!!! :cool:

21. rooman

rooman

Maybe because there are a bunch of old farts like me that know what the cars really looked like--just sayin'. ;)

Roo

enloe, Charlie K, Mark Yac and 2 others like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm with you Roo, and I like both those 55's, even the black wheels on the rear of the green car appeals to me but I just can't keep my eyes from being drawn to those front wheels.
    I haven't warmed up to them since they first appeared, I have only seen one set that really looked good (to me), a guy from the ?UK? posted a photo of his deuce roadster with them.
    I can't remember what he used to make them look dark like magnesium but they did not appear as bolt-ons so blatantly.

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

24. rooman

rooman

Denny, I find them acceptable on roadsters and other such fenderless rods as those cars have more of the appearance of an altered (or Hot Roadster/Fuel Coupe if you go way back).

Roo

25. So you’re saying you can’t get no satisfaction?

26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Your car is bad ass! As for flack, yeah you are always going to catch it from the real race car guys. I wouldn’t change a thing on your......except the wheels. . But that is because I like the old gasser stuff.
    As for the cup holder...... trying to drive mine with a soda in my lap while I turn and shift is a pain in the ass so yeah I’m good with the cup holder!!!!