Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Power vs Manual Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg37, Apr 2, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

As anyone who's had to pull over when the engine died can attest to.

Maybe I'm the only one. :(

2. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Yes it has residual valves off the master, M.C. and booster mounted on frame. Stainless brake lines in front. Small cam. I've had the car a couple years and the pedal has never been great but the brakes always worked okay. Thanks everyone for sticking with me on this.

3. BJR

BJR

When the engine dies you should have one or two power assisted stops before all the vacuum is gone from the reservoir.

4. More often than not I see builds done where guys have cabin fitting issues so they unknowingly modify the brake system so it fits better but compromised the way it’s supposed to work. I’ve seen jacked up pedal ratios, short strokes, jack shaft style pedals, wrong bore ratio math, and general nincompoopery.
    Funny thing I’ve been able to fix every one so far. Sometimes it involves cutting the car and fabricating the stuff right. Sometimes just swapping the right combo of parts.

Maybe that’s your problem here with a “never been great” pedal. What’s that mean exactly.

Try a bleed with an experienced helper.
    when the bleeder opens the pedal has a “feel” to the drop.

5. Especially if the engine stalls because of a damn vacuum leak when the booster failed. :eek:

6. Provided that “all of the everything else” stuff is there and working as it is designed and the booster is the proper size to begin with emulating a OEM set up. All of that is seldom found in a hot rod.
    I always overbuild seat mounts and sometimes people ask why. My answer is I can’t tell how hard the driver will need to be standing on the brakes.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not stops, pumps on the pedal. Assuming you weren't on the brakes already. My guess is everyone has had to do a non-assisted stop at one time or another.

BJR likes this.
  8. BJR

BJR

You are correct, pumps, not stops. :eek: Thanks for the correction.:)

blowby likes this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aha... may be more here than just the master cylinder.
    It might still need to be fixed or replaced. Then some further investigation.

Readjusting the rod.
    Look at the threads on the rod. You may be able to see where it was adjusted to. Maybe not. But you should have a little bit... as much as 1 inch of free play at the top of the pedal before you feel any added resistance.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. If the pedal pumps up and drops, the master is bypassing internally. Some are elusive to diagnose, others like yours are obvious.

11. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

SUCCESS, I tried again today and checked rear drums for adjustment. I did the right side first no problem, then switched to the left and as I was taking the plug out I noticed a very
    small amount of fluid on the drum by the bleeder, I called my wife and she stepped on the pedal , as I watched the bleeder sure enough a drop maybe two leaked out . After that we bled the brakes and all seems good . I took it for a drive no problems. I really feel stupid not catching this sooner. If all of you hadn't suggested I check the rears I'd still be chasing shadows.

bobss396 likes this.